Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking your pets?

Taking your pets?

Old Jul 25th 2006, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Stokesy has a spectacular aura aboutStokesy has a spectacular aura aboutStokesy has a spectacular aura about
Default Taking your pets?

Hello

me again. Just wondered if anyone can tell me how much it would cost to take my cat to Australia. He is such a wreck - I don't think I could re-home him. He's only three and a half but had a hard life before we adopted him. I have a hunch we are talking 4 figures.

Many thanks guys,

Sarah
Old Jul 25th 2006, 9:46 am
Oz here we are!!!

JoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really nice
Default Re: Taking your pets?

Hi Sarah,

We are taking two cats (8 yrs old) from Bedfordshire to Perth and it's costing us around £2,000 in total (gulp). That includes shipping, quarantine in Oz (4 weeks) and boarding costs for a week before they fly + collection from our house and transport to Shropshire (where co is based).

We are using Golden Arrow Shippers, they seem very good and have had lots of good feedback on here. Can dig out details for you if you want.

I think I am more stressed about the cats than anything else, they don't travel well at the best of times! Oh well, I figure it's better than leaving them behind and I am hoping they will recover from the shock pretty quickly.

Jo.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Silky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds about right, our three are costing as around £3k in total with everything.

Best wishes,

Sara
Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Wilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really nice

I've got 4 !! Anyone know if someone gives a bulk discount like I get at the vets ?
Old Jul 25th 2006, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

crikey now I feel better that we can't bring our pets.

2 budgies-rehomed to a nice lady with an aviary (house seems very quiet now)
Cornsnake- going to a friends daughter

Can't say we were desperately attached to either (can't have fur coz of allergies) though sorry to leave them.

Rammygirl
Old Jul 29th 2006, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Stokesy has a spectacular aura aboutStokesy has a spectacular aura aboutStokesy has a spectacular aura about

thanks for that. Husband not keen to pay £1000 to take cat. I am not as attached to my cat as I was to my previous cat before I had children, but still feel responsible for him - a cat is for life not just for Christmas! ANd no one would want him anyway - he has gingivitus and only four teeth, is part bald, thin, scrawny and a bit jumpy. and he is only 3!! He had a bad life before we rescued him so would not want to inflict further trauma on him. Hope your pets all have safe journeys and settle in well.

Sarah
Old Jul 29th 2006, 10:08 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stokesy
thanks for that. Husband not keen to pay £1000 to take cat. I am not as attached to my cat as I was to my previous cat before I had children, but still feel responsible for him - a cat is for life not just for Christmas! ANd no one would want him anyway - he has gingivitus and only four teeth, is part bald, thin, scrawny and a bit jumpy. and he is only 3!! He had a bad life before we rescued him so would not want to inflict further trauma on him. Hope your pets all have safe journeys and settle in well.

Sarah

Have you tried airpets?
Ladyhaye and
Par air?

I'm sure when we asked about taking our cat it didn't come to as much as £1,000????

WHy not phone round a few and get quotes?

Jenxx
Old Jul 29th 2006, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all

[hey How You Going I Brought My Boxer Dog To Brisbanethe Best Guy I Found Was Pinehawks 01223290249 He Will Give You A Price
Old Jul 29th 2006, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Silky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of light

The £1,000.00 includes EVERYTHING btw, carriers, flights, quarantine, vets checks the 4 days they have to stay ar the airport before they leave, food, permits.

HTH

Sara
Old Jul 29th 2006, 12:06 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Silky Chicken
The £1,000.00 includes EVERYTHING btw, carriers, flights, quarantine, vets checks the 4 days they have to stay ar the airport before they leave, food, permits.

HTH

Sara

Airpets doesn't charge you for the Quarantine at the other end.

It was around 1K UK pounds to get our cat over, then the quarantine was $600 approx.

It was worth every penny, although I've since got a dog who wants to eat the cat so it could just be expensive pet food.

(Joke, joke!)