Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking your dog to oz

Taking your dog to oz

Old Feb 15th 2013, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

leapip is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking your dog to oz

I really can't leave my lovely dog.. Am I right in thinking he will need to be quarantined for 1month? Anyone else got info on this? How did you arrange the whole process? Is it very expensive?
Old Feb 15th 2013, 6:30 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking your dog to oz

Originally Posted by leapip
I really can't leave my lovely dog.. Am I right in thinking he will need to be quarantined for 1month? Anyone else got info on this? How did you arrange the whole process? Is it very expensive?
Hi Leapip,

There's info here on the whole process

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/cat4?name=the United Kingdom

Your vet should also be able to help, and then there are companies like Airpets (something like that) for the actual removal. The cost will depend on the size of dog you have. How long before you are planning on moving?
Old Feb 15th 2013, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Brilliant thank you... He is a big dog (Weimaraner)... I am just filling my forms out for my australian nursing registration and looking for sponsor.. I am going through an agent so the process has just started really, but hopefully in the next 8 months. With fingers tightly crossed..
Old Feb 15th 2013, 7:46 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant thank you... He is a big dog (Weimaraner)... I am just filling my forms out for my australian nursing registration and looking for sponsor.. I am going through an agent so the process has just started really, but hopefully in the next 8 months. With fingers tightly crossed..
Hi Leapip,

I don't know if you've had a look yet or not but your dog will need a rabies shot at least 6 months before you go, otherwise he sill be spending a long time in quarantine. If I remember correctly, if he has the shot, and gets the blood test at least 150 days before you go then it's 30 days quarantine. If the blood test is done later than this, then the difference is added onto quarantine time
Old Feb 15th 2013, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Ahhhh I've just been reading through the site but hadn't come to that part yet, thanks.... I better get a move on with that then... I dread to think how anxious he will be being there for 1m never mind longer!
Old Feb 15th 2013, 8:29 pm

Ahhhh I've just been reading through the site but hadn't come to that part yet, thanks.... I better get a move on with that then... I dread to think how anxious he will be being there for 1m never mind longer!
Just checked my e-mail history - I had a quote for our dog (springer spaniel) from Flypets - £2300. We chose to rehome him in the UK but might be worth checking them out
Old Feb 16th 2013, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

thanks i will do.. thats a huge expense for a spaniel.. I better be prepared for the big bill!
Old Feb 18th 2013, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Angie78 is just really niceAngie78 is just really niceAngie78 is just really niceAngie78 is just really niceAngie78 is just really niceAngie78 is just really niceAngie78 is just really niceAngie78 is just really nice

Hi,

Its going to cost us £4500-£5300 for our dog. We looked around a few and thats what most of them are coming in at. Expensive yes but I couldn't leave him.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

OMG! what kind of dog have you got????
Old Feb 18th 2013, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Angie78 is just really niceAngie78 is just really niceAngie78 is just really niceAngie78 is just really niceAngie78 is just really niceAngie78 is just really niceAngie78 is just really niceAngie78 is just really nice

He is a German Shepherd X Mastiff
Old Feb 18th 2013, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Lovely.. how old? My weim is 5yrs old.. i dont know how he would cope with travel.. really concerned.... :-/
Old Feb 18th 2013, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

Our Welsh Terrier has travelled from Holland to Ireland to Australia to the UK (she's now 13) and never had a problem. Our first dalmation went from The Bahamas to Ireland and our second from Ireland to Australia to the UK. The vast majority of dogs have no real problems and you can visit them in the quarantine station so they won't miss you too much (or you them). Good Luck, you will all be fine except your wallet will be considerably lighter!
Old Feb 18th 2013, 8:11 pm
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute

we're in the process of organising to take two old english sheepdogs (clipped!) to Broken Hill at the end of June. We've been using http://www.petairuk.com/ and can highly recommend them. Its costing about £6.5K to use their Gold service for both dogs. There are lots of potential traps along the way so best to get started with your planning asap and follow the agents advice so you don't miss something and screw the process up (we nearly did!)
Old Feb 18th 2013, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Lovely.. how old? My weim is 5yrs old.. i dont know how he would cope with travel.. really concerned.... :-/
He will be 4 in May. He came back with us from Oz to the UK (N,Ireland). I thought the same with him regards to travelling, but he was fine, in fact quarantine was the best thing for him. He was very protective of me,and didnt like anybody getting to close he was brill with other dogs just some people he didn't like. With him having to do some time in quarantine it settled him down a good bit. He gets on with everybody now So here we go through with it all again but i know he will be grand,its everyone else who has to deal with him I'm worried about
Old Feb 19th 2013, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

TessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really niceTessD is just really nice

Originally Posted by DML
we're in the process of organising to take two old english sheepdogs (clipped!) to Broken Hill at the end of June. We've been using http://www.petairuk.com/ and can highly recommend them. Its costing about £6.5K to use their Gold service for both dogs. There are lots of potential traps along the way so best to get started with your planning asap and follow the agents advice so you don't miss something and screw the process up (we nearly did!)
We are also using Pet Air's Gold service to transport our 4 dogs and 2 cats in August this year. Our quote is just shy of £10k, a lot of money but very reasonable compared to some other companies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.