Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

taking your car??

taking your car??

Old Oct 2nd 2007, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

robandkath has a spectacular aura aboutrobandkath has a spectacular aura aboutrobandkath has a spectacular aura about
Default taking your car??

hi all is this right that if i get a 40ft container for all my houshold stuff ie furniture i can also put my car in with it all??
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of
Default Re: taking your car??

Originally Posted by robandkath
hi all is this right that if i get a 40ft container for all my houshold stuff ie furniture i can also put my car in with it all??
If I were you I'd google australian customs and excise and read up on this.........

we looked at it and you need permission from Oz BEFORE you import. Car will have to be spotless and even then they will more than likely fumigate/power clean it at the other end and charge you somewhere in the region of 400 dollars for the privilage. In addition you will have to pay duty GST on it and apparently trying to sell an import is extremely difficult.

Having read everything we could find on the subject we decided not to bother importing ours and are going to sell it instead.

Trish
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 7:29 pm
Happily living in Tsv,Qld

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all

The Mrs has a beloved Mini Cooper S, not anything special - but there were tears when I told her that no way would we be taking it, and the chances are that buying/running one where we're heading would be unfeasible.

The general information I got when looking into to it was: unless it is of great value (financially or emotionally) - then don't bother.

If your thinking that it might save you money to lob it in a container, I think you'll find out that's not the case.

You will have to pay import tax, it will also need 'testing' and changing to Australian standards (speedo in KMH - and they don't just accept that the UK one's generally have KMH in small as well either).

Doing so will generate more paperwork - something that I didn't fancy on top of visas and everything else...

I searched through the forum a lot when looking into this and there are alot of people talking about taking cars, some of which did. Generally it's the one's that did that say what a ball-ache it was...

Obviously it depends on where you are heading, but we're heading to Townsville, QLD and did some scouting around this summer whilst we were there and you can find used cars in really good condition at great prices. The cars seem to last longer, as the weather is better and most of them are garaged...
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Monty023 is a name known to allMonty023 is a name known to allMonty023 is a name known to allMonty023 is a name known to allMonty023 is a name known to allMonty023 is a name known to allMonty023 is a name known to allMonty023 is a name known to allMonty023 is a name known to allMonty023 is a name known to allMonty023 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by robandkath
I brought my car over and it was relatively simple. We had to weigh up the pros and cons whether it would be worthwhile and went for it. You have to obtain an import permit $50 first then ship it, customs clear it, pay import duty and then reregister it here after inspection........, can be costly so you need to do your sums first.