Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking UK antiques to Oz - YIKES!

Taking UK antiques to Oz - YIKES!

Old Jun 26th 2004, 7:41 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Taking UK antiques to Oz - YIKES!

Yesterday Pickfords told me that I would need to get a 'Certificate of Authenticity and Value' for any items over 100 years old that I am planning to take to Oz. Apparently, they have to be specifically declared on the inventory form as 'Antique' and I need to be able prove value, origin etc.

After a very frustrating few hours on the phone to HM Customs & Excise, who really seemed to know nowt about owt, I have an approved valuer coming in next week to pass judgement. Cost will be about 150 quid.

Did anyone else have to do this, or did you just list them as 'table & chairs' or 'coffee pot' etc on your inventory, on the grounds that they are household effects that you use every day rather than items that go in a showcase?

All intelligence on this one very welcome.

TIA,
Anya.
Old Jun 26th 2004, 7:58 am
NZ or Bust!

Sazzle is an unknown quantity at this point

It is the same in NZ>

I beleive it is mainly to protect people from sharks if you want to sell it on.

If you just intend to use it, then it doesnt matter...

IF you are taking it in to sell later as an "antique" then get it established as such now.

MAkes sense.
Old Jun 26th 2004, 8:12 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Taking UK antiques to Oz - YIKES!

Originally posted by anya4oz
Yesterday Pickfords told me that I would need to get a 'Certificate of Authenticity and Value' for any items over 100 years old that I am planning to take to Oz. Apparently, they have to be specifically declared on the inventory form as 'Antique' and I need to be able prove value, origin etc.

After a very frustrating few hours on the phone to HM Customs & Excise, who really seemed to know nowt about owt, I have an approved valuer coming in next week to pass judgement. Cost will be about 150 quid.

Did anyone else have to do this, or did you just list them as 'table & chairs' or 'coffee pot' etc on your inventory, on the grounds that they are household effects that you use every day rather than items that go in a showcase?

All intelligence on this one very welcome.

TIA,

Is this Mark your talking about ????
Anya.
Old Jun 26th 2004, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

I was going to leave my antique in the UK but seeing as I am married to her she is insisting on coming

Andy
Old Jun 26th 2004, 9:39 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by andy thomas
I was going to leave my antique in the UK but seeing as I am married to her she is insisting on coming

Andy
funny that
Old Jun 26th 2004, 9:45 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by Bordy
Is this Mark your talking about
I knew someone was gonna say that! No, it's ME!!

Anya.
Old Jun 26th 2004, 10:44 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

We had a few things, never bothered, for us they are just treasured furniture rather than antiques, we just shipped them like everything else.