Reload this Page >

taking things with you

taking things with you

Old May 24th 2002, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

sharonfryer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default taking things with you

Can anyone help?

My husband has loads of gardening tools - mostly petrol. Can we take these with us when we go to Australia? We can not really find out if we can.

I have read somewhere that they need to be cleaned but by whom and when?

ALso what about childrens outdoor toys - cards bikes swing etc. can we take them with us?

If anyone can help or point us in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 24th 2002, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Gareth W is on a distinguished road
Default Re: taking things with you

Yes. You will be able to take the gardening tools with you. You should clean them thoroughly before packing but they will be sterilised once they reach Australia (I think that you pay for this). I have been told that there is no point sterilising/fumigating them over here as they will do it again in Australia anyway.

Don't see any reason why you shouldn't take kids outdoor toys.

GW
Old May 24th 2002, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the Australian Quarantine website link for more info on what you can and can't take:

http://www.affa.gov.au/content/outpu...200060A1B00577

When we were deciding what to take, we decided that paying a possible $30 per garden item to be inspected plus further fumigating costs could not be justified. I also have enough things to sort out without cleaning every single fork, spade, bike, etc. before we go. We have sold the lot (it's a bit bare in the garden now) and are looking forward to buying new things, and starting afresh. Might be different for you if some of your stuff is newer, but we've been married 16 years, so some of the stuff was due to be replaced soon anyway.
Old May 25th 2002, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

Pommy Sheila is an unknown quantity at this point

We left ALL gardening tools behind after being advised by the shippers, because of the 'possible' chance of being charged for having them cleaned/sterilised again. It wouldnt have worked out cost effective to bring them. (20 years collection of stuff!). The stuff like bikes, outdoor toys we DID bring were checked when they arrived here, but no further cleaning/charges incurred. We could have brought a load more stuff and saved ourselves a packet!!!
Old May 25th 2002, 3:20 pm
Hills

Gareth W wrote:

> Yes. You will be able to take the gardening tools with you. You should clean them
    > thoroughly before packing but they will be sterilised once they reach Australia (I
    > think that you pay for this). I have been told that there is no point
    > sterilising/fumigating them over here as they will do it again in Australia anyway.
    >
    > Don't see any reason why you shouldn't take kids outdoor toys.
    >
    > GW

AFAIK, quarantine looks at outdoor stuff, and gives it a scrub if it has dirt on it.
If you can clean your stuff up so it doesn't have dirt/earth on it - quarantine won't
charge you anything. Fumigating is more for wooden stuff - killing borers/woodworm
etc. They inspect the item, looking for holes. If evidence of beasties is found, then
you'll have to pay for fumigation. If you have a wooden item/furniture etc, and you
can easily look over it and see no evidence of bugs, then probably OK to take it.

Any item that has ever had fuel in a tank cannot go by air. Not a problem if you're
planning to ship it. LJ