Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking stuff to Oz

Taking stuff to Oz

Old Oct 11th 2006, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice
Default Taking stuff to Oz

Hi Guys,

haven't been on here for a while as things have been so busy since we got our visas. We have sold the house and arranged for the shippers to come in (we are using PSS who seem really good and we were recommended them - will let you know how they were from the other side) and have a flight arranged for the 7th November with Qantas. Is anyone else flying on the 7th November?

My question is, can we take our herbs and spices (all in jars) with us in our suitcases? I assume not as they don't let plants in, but thought it was worth checking as my brother did when he migrated to canada (i know, different country). Also can I take over some big bars of cadburys chocolate and English tea? It's just not the same there.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking stuff to Oz

Originally Posted by Sun n Surf
Hi Guys,

haven't been on here for a while as things have been so busy since we got our visas. We have sold the house and arranged for the shippers to come in (we are using PSS who seem really good and we were recommended them - will let you know how they were from the other side) and have a flight arranged for the 7th November with Qantas. Is anyone else flying on the 7th November?

My question is, can we take our herbs and spices (all in jars) with us in our suitcases? I assume not as they don't let plants in, but thought it was worth checking as my brother did when he migrated to canada (i know, different country). Also can I take over some big bars of cadburys chocolate and English tea? It's just not the same there.
I suspect the chocolate will have melted before you get a chance to eat it and you can get 'English' tea here.

As for herbs and spices I suspect not. It's on the list of things you have to declare when you arrive
Old Oct 11th 2006, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

sorry but i wouldn't risk it...up to you though..
When we arrived a couple got stopped because they had a jar of mint sauce of all things in their bags!! sniffer dogs all over them...talk of embarrassing or wot!
Old Oct 11th 2006, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice

Thanks guys, I suspected as much. Guess my Mum will have lots of nice spices and I will have to suffer without UK Cadbury's chocolate :scared:
Old Oct 11th 2006, 2:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, I suspected as much. Guess my Mum will have lots of nice spices and I will have to suffer without UK Cadbury's chocolate :scared:
Jars of mint sauce - sealed - are fine, as both Cresta57 and I know well! Also chcocolate - put it on a plastic bag in case it starts to melt, and stick it in the fridge when you get here.It can also be sent by post, just declare it as chocolate on the customs label

Spices in jars can be got here - I've gradually replaced them all, which has been a revelation to The Bloke- he didn't have any when I arrived and now has a shelf fuill and doesn't know how he coped before!

A tip I was given before coming. Go round your kitchen and list all the sauces, spices, cooking stuff etc. Makes it easier to replace, rather than spending hours thinking "what DID I have before"
Old Oct 11th 2006, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks that is a good idea, I've got to do my kitchen cupboards next week so I shall make a little list.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks that is a good idea, I've got to do my kitchen cupboards next week so I shall make a little list.
I've just been sent some pick n mix from the UK (sad I know but's it's all liquorice here) and customs opened it and put in a nice leaflet detailing what can and can't be imported. Nice of them I thought !
Old Oct 12th 2006, 11:40 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Also chcocolate - put it on a plastic bag in case it starts to melt, and stick it in the fridge when you get here.It can also be sent by post, just declare it as chocolate on the customs label
LOL - Yes Nic used to get emergency supplies of 'real' Cadburys chocolate sent over to Melbourne on a regular basis when we were there so chocolate's definitely not a problem

Graham
Old Oct 12th 2006, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Excellent, good to know I can get my chocolate and I love pick and mix as well so i know where you are coming from Ohippy