Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

taking rifle to oz

taking rifle to oz

Old Mar 19th 2007, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

darrellandsarah will become famous soon enoughdarrellandsarah will become famous soon enough
Default taking rifle to oz

i,m well into my shooting sports here in the uk and will be emigrating early next year,does, anybody know if i can export my rifles over or will i have to sell them
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:02 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: taking rifle to oz

Originally Posted by darrellandsarah
i,m well into my shooting sports here in the uk and will be emigrating early next year,does, anybody know if i can export my rifles over or will i have to sell them
You can export them but another poster will advise you not to use a certain shipping company - do a forum search on shotguns.

Buzzy
Old Mar 20th 2007, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

darrellandsarah will become famous soon enoughdarrellandsarah will become famous soon enough

ok many thanx
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I believe it is technically possible but very complicated to get all the correct licences/permits etc. You may also find that the calibre you need in UK may not be the same as you want in Australia.
I daresay rules & regulations vary state to state.
People I know who shoot have decided to sell up this side & take the money to buy what they need once they get there.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:26 pm
Mrs Bushpig!

Bushpig is on a distinguished road

im into my shooting as well but i looked at sending them and the law is funny over there. you cant even have factory made catapults.no sound moderators,no semi autos.iv sold the lot and will buy new out there. im keeping a couple of scopes though.dont no if you did but ipsc pistol shooting is big over there.any way good luck in what ever you decide
Old Mar 20th 2007, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

chrisk8 is an unknown quantity at this point

As I understand it you will need to seek authority for entry of the rifles from the Police Authority for the state you are moving to. Assuming that they agree (there discretion based on type of firearm, time owned etc) then you will need to declare on the customs form. Your shippers will need to pack the firearms separately and on arrival they will be taken by customs officials to the Police for bolisitcs testing. Assuming all i approved then the firearms will be returned to you at a later date.

Hope this helps

Chris
Old Mar 21st 2007, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

thanx all it seems a lot of hassle so i,ll sell my rifles and moddy keep the scopes and all my sundries and buy new over there,how difficult is it to obtain a licence and do they reload over there as i,ve a whole shed load of reloading equipment and data thanx all
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:06 pm
Mrs Bushpig!

thanx all it seems a lot of hassle so i,ll sell my rifles and moddy keep the scopes and all my sundries and buy new over there,how difficult is it to obtain a licence and do they reload over there as i,ve a whole shed load of reloading equipment and data thanx all
spoke to a couple of lads over there at the club i will be joining.yes iv got a application form already. ref shooting and they said theres no real major hassel over shotgun /rifle(fac) but hand guns are differant with about a nine month waiting time but you can use club guns.reloading is popular but im not sure the score on taking the emptys and stuff over there with you .there is all sorts of rules for knives as well.iv decided to get rid of all my reloading kit emptys and skinning knives.keeping lamps gun bags and stuff but will get handware once there.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:42 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

You can export your rifles you will need to contact the airline so they know also contact customs so that they know they have to go with you on the plane in the hold and not shipped in the container. You will also have to contact the local police chief of the state you are travelling to to ask his permission to bring the firearms into the state, a copy of this letter has to be shown at customs before you fly and on entering the country where they will take your gun and then release them to you when you have obtained the relevent shot gun firearms certificate/licence and joined a club.
I went through it all with OH who has guns and he wanted to take them. There may be a few minor discrepencies as this was a few months ago. Will try and find the form from customs that mentions this unless someone else has done that for you.
Hope this helps.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

nice 1 thank you
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

andym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the rough
Default Target shooting with .22 rifle!

Hi, I wish to undertake target shooting once I move to Australia. The shooting would be done with a .22 Rimfire. How does one go about gaining a licence to own such a firearm in Australia, is there a different law for each state. I understand that this type of gun would be a Category A, what extra requirements are there to be able to use/own a Category B firearm i.e. centrefire rifle?
Old Apr 18th 2007, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

sell it and buy a play station or a rc helicopter or a speedboat any thing other than a friggin gun
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:57 pm
Mrs Bushpig!

Default Re: Target shooting with .22 rifle!

Originally Posted by andym79
Hi, I wish to undertake target shooting once I move to Australia. The shooting would be done with a .22 Rimfire. How does one go about gaining a licence to own such a firearm in Australia, is there a different law for each state. I understand that this type of gun would be a Category A, what extra requirements are there to be able to use/own a Category B firearm i.e. centrefire rifle?

there are loads of clubs out there in all states its just a case of looking up the clubs on the net.you will need a gun cabinet fitted in your house which will be checked by the police.iv looked up shooting in the area im moving to and been intouch with a club and every one was really helpful.im into pistol shooting and its very strict there but thats a good thing .any way when you get to your area just look in the phone book and join a club. people there will help you decide what type of shooting best suits you.in the meen time dont get a play station there for kids but a speed boat sounds nice mr bushpig
Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rodandhayley
sell it and buy a play station or a rc helicopter or a speedboat any thing other than a friggin gun
yep got all them and i love my guns