British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Taking a pup to the Pinnacles? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/taking-pup-pinnacles-638942/)

kar-kier Nov 4th 2009 12:00 am

Taking a pup to the Pinnacles?

In January we are all going a road trip (with in-laws) up the west coast - think 'meet the fockers'! We have a wee pup that we were planning to take with us, but on closer inspection it's not a good idea as she won't be able to get into any of the parks. We have friends in Gero who may be able to look her, but since we live in Mandurah, we would need to have her with us while passing the Pinnacles, and obviously we would like to see them.

So back to my point, after MUCH research I found that there are kennels that you can leave the pup in, while in the park - has anyone used these, or know exactly where they are?

Thanks

Gems Nov 4th 2009 4:42 am

Re: Taking a pup to the Pinnacles?

Pinnacles is great and I have took my kids. We loved it. Also visit the Stromatolites, they have bit of a walk around it now.

However January temperatures will be super hot in the Pinnacles.
A pup could get dehydrated easy.

We have visited earlier in the year and the temps seamed way higher in the actual pinnacles desert.

Also its 37C yesterday and today in Geraldton and North of Perth often has very high temps in January and Feb.

Therefore caution with deserts,gorges etc. Eg Kalbarri gorges say temps can go over 50C in summer so have warnings.

Expect some days to be in the 40s, our first Christmas day here it was
44C:eek:

My tips for North of Perth:
Pinnacles and Stomatolites are great and take the camera.
Jurien Bay is ok, big beach but can get busy in summer,
Dongara is nice to stop at, nice beach and picnic areas.
Greenough settlers village is nice if you like historic things (we do).
You can see the Pink Lake and take a photo if you drive to Kalbarri (from Northampton).
Kalbarri National Park is fab.
The Blow Holes near Carnarvon (if your travelling to Coral Bay) if you turn left it has very nice sheltered beach.
Red Bluff for Surfing, but road really needs 4WD.
Coral Bay is beautiful.

I have taken my kids to all the above and are were aged toddler to 17yrs.

Have a great trip

Gems

kar-kier Nov 4th 2009 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Gems (Post 8069542)
Pinnacles is great and I have took my kids. We loved it. Also visit the Stromatolites, they have bit of a walk around it now.

However January temperatures will be super hot in the Pinnacles.
A pup could get dehydrated easy.

We have visited earlier in the year and the temps seamed way higher in the actual pinnacles desert.

Also its 37C yesterday and today in Geraldton and North of Perth often has very high temps in January and Feb.

Therefore caution with deserts,gorges etc. Eg Kalbarri gorges say temps can go over 50C in summer so have warnings.

Expect some days to be in the 40s, our first Christmas day here it was
44C:eek:

My tips for North of Perth:
Pinnacles and Stomatolites are great and take the camera.
Jurien Bay is ok, big beach but can get busy in summer,
Dongara is nice to stop at, nice beach and picnic areas.
Greenough settlers village is nice if you like historic things (we do).
You can see the Pink Lake and take a photo if you drive to Kalbarri (from Northampton).
Kalbarri National Park is fab.
The Blow Holes near Carnarvon (if your travelling to Coral Bay) if you turn left it has very nice sheltered beach.
Red Bluff for Surfing, but road really needs 4WD.
Coral Bay is beautiful.

I have taken my kids to all the above and are were aged toddler to 17yrs.

Have a great trip

Gems

Thanks Gems!

I have tried and TRIED to explain to the inlaws that it was be horrifically hot up there in the height of summer, but they wont lists!!! These are the same people that wanted us to DRIVE to Alice Springs (from Perth) for a FEW DAYS!!!!

Gems Nov 4th 2009 5:03 am

Good luck with your drive to Alice springs:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You can still enjoy north of Perth, just make sure you have plenty of water and well covered up.
If it very hot you can still enjoy some hotter places, just get up very early and be careful at mid day.

Gems

renth Nov 4th 2009 5:31 am

Originally Posted by kar-kier (Post 8068958)
we would need to have her with us while passing the Pinnacles, and obviously we would like to see them.

Why is it obvious? The Pinnacles are a great disappointment. Everyone I know who has seen them thinks they are crap. Don't waste your time.

Gems Nov 4th 2009 6:35 am

Well we must be weird because my family enjoyed our day out at the Pinnacles and have got some fab photos.
But we did play hide and seek with the kids!

Gems

julesandco Nov 4th 2009 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Gems (Post 8069660)
Well we must be weird because my family enjoyed our day out at the Pinnacles and have got some fab photos.
But we did play hide and seek with the kids!

Gems

You can't take dogs in to the park though..... we found this out after a 4½ hour drive with the hound in the car :frown:

So we 'ticked' the Pinnacles off the to do list and after the first five minutes, spent the rest of our time finding the ones that look most phalic :rofl: :rofl:

It should be sponsored by McDonalds, seeing as it's a drive-though attraction!

Have fun!

Jules x

Nu-Shooz Nov 4th 2009 10:21 am

Originally Posted by kar-kier (Post 8069549)
Thanks Gems!

I have tried and TRIED to explain to the inlaws that it was be horrifically hot up there in the height of summer, but they wont lists!!! These are the same people that wanted us to DRIVE to Alice Springs (from Perth) for a FEW DAYS!!!!

We went to the pinnacles and beware of the flies. My god we were eaten alive:eek:
We drove round the pinnacles instead of walking. It was windy too up there.
Not a great day out.

Dorothy Nov 4th 2009 11:17 am

Originally Posted by kar-kier (Post 8068958)
In January we are all going a road trip (with in-laws) up the west coast - think 'meet the fockers'! We have a wee pup that we were planning to take with us, but on closer inspection it's not a good idea as she won't be able to get into any of the parks. We have friends in Gero who may be able to look her, but since we live in Mandurah, we would need to have her with us while passing the Pinnacles, and obviously we would like to see them.

So back to my point, after MUCH research I found that there are kennels that you can leave the pup in, while in the park - has anyone used these, or know exactly where they are?

Thanks

Wouldn't you be better to try to find a kennel here before you go all that way? We use a great kennel in Canning Vale (actually Moose's breeder) whenever we go anywhere. They treat our dogs like family - they don't want to come home when we go to pick them up!

koalakim Nov 4th 2009 7:51 pm

Hi

I doubt if you'd find a kennel at Cervantes which is the town for the Pinnacles as there is very little there - the motel, a few shops, petrol station and that is it!

We went to the Pinnacles at sunset which was quite nice but still very hot.

There are kennels at Kalbarri - just outside the national park which does day care so you can leave woofer safely for the day and then enjoy the park. I thought that was quite enterprising!

Some nat parks won't even let you go as far as a car park and keep the dog in the car either plus with the heat it wouldn't be a good thing to do anyway!

Best to check whether you can take you dog into the car park and maybe one of you can stay with the dog and take it in turns to look at the rocks? I don't remember the car park being patrolled but then as I said we did go out of hours.

Have fun!

KK

Gems Nov 4th 2009 11:08 pm

There is also kennels in Greenough just before your arrive in Geraldton, also think some in Dongara which are about $10 a day.

As for the flies in Kalbarri National Park, thats why I avoid it during summer holidays.
If you go when its cooler the flies are ok.

Gems

kar-kier Nov 4th 2009 11:16 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Our friends in Gero are going to keep her while we go up the coast as far as coral bay, then we will pick her up on the way back down.

I'm honestly not too bothered about seeing the pinnacles, it's the inlaws! I hate flies so think I will stay in the campervan with the pup and the toddler!!

jensteve Nov 5th 2009 5:03 am

Hi
We found out the hard way when we went to the Pinacles and took the dog, they do have kennel facilities but these are back down the road in town, they are incredably basic, just a metal mesh stall really, with no lock on. I went the hardware store in town and bought a chain and padlock, went back locked him in with a water bowl and drove back along the road to the Pinacles.
Its their main office building and the kennels are in the carpark area to the side, give them a ring to find out exactly where they are again as I don't remember and its a waste having to drive back to lock the dog up.
Hope your trip goes well.
Jenny