Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking Presents for Family in Oz, but what do I buy??

Taking Presents for Family in Oz, but what do I buy??

Old Aug 7th 2006, 10:52 am
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taking Presents for Family in Oz, but what do I buy??

Ok so we are off to Oz on Saturday for our five week rekkie!! I have done a thread about presents for my daughter who's birthday is when we are in Oz and got some fantastic ideas!!

So I now need help on the following friends/family members to take presents from UK to Oz!!!

There is Mum & Dad (Ages about 65-70)

Daughter & Husband x2 (Aged about 30-35)

Have got some ideas like for example the Mum lived in Sussex years and years and years ago, so thought a nice Calender of Sussex!! One of the daughters worked while over here in Winnie the Poo Shop in Hartfield, and loves Winnie the Poo, But that is as far as it gets!!

Obviously need light, flat unbreakable things to take!!!

Especially struggling with the men!! Typical!!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:31 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Taking Presents for Family in Oz, but what do I buy??

was going to suggest a nice teapot for the mother & father, but it isn't necessarily light, definitely not flat and is considerably breakable. But very english and you can get some great ones.....
Old Aug 7th 2006, 3:50 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banjo
was going to suggest a nice teapot for the mother & father, but it isn't necessarily light, definitely not flat and is considerably breakable. But very english and you can get some great ones.....

Really like that a very nice idea, not sure I would get it there in one piece though!! NO room in hand luggage as full up with "entertaining the kids stuff!!"!!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

JOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Taking Presents for Family in Oz, but what do I buy??

All my brother wants is Cadburys chocalate!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Location: North East - planning to move to Southern Queensland
BillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud ofBillandAbby has much to be proud of

Two ideas that have gone down well with all my Aussie relatives:

1. Undies from Marks and Spencers for the ladies
2. Sweets - the kind you can buy by the quarter in a paper bag - sherbert pips, sweet cigarettes, midget gems, liquorish sticks, cola cubes, etc. Great for a nostalgia trip.

I have always declared them at customs and never had them taken off me (the sweets that is not the undies)

Abby
Old Aug 8th 2006, 3:02 pm
An Official Visa Holder

Originally Posted by BillandAbby
Two ideas that have gone down well with all my Aussie relatives:

1. Undies from Marks and Spencers for the ladies
2. Sweets - the kind you can buy by the quarter in a paper bag - sherbert pips, sweet cigarettes, midget gems, liquorish sticks, cola cubes, etc. Great for a nostalgia trip.

I have always declared them at customs and never had them taken off me (the sweets that is not the undies)

Abby

Great Ideas!! Will look at the Undies bit as they flat pack are light and hopefully cant be broken!!
Old Aug 8th 2006, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

OK, if the decision to take clothes as gifts is made are they going to be ahead of the designs in Australia or behind eg. in Europe and North America the Autumn/Winter fashions are coming into the shops now, but did you get those designs last January or will you be getting them next January. If we are ahead, clothes for teenagers would be a great gift but not if we are behind.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

milliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toon williams
Ok so we are off to Oz on Saturday for our five week rekkie!!
Sorry I'm rubbish with pressie ideas at the best of times... but a 5 week rekkie!!! Wow, I'm so jealous!! Hope you have a great trip.