Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

taking pets to Australia

taking pets to Australia

Old Jun 2nd 2003, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

bendigo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default taking pets to Australia

We are hopefully going out to Brisbane at the end of June beginning of July and we are hoping to bring our dog and cat with us. I belive that we have to apply for an import licence from the Australian government, can anyone give me some advice ?
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 1:54 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: taking pets to Australia

Originally posted by bendigo
We are hopefully going out to Brisbane at the end of June beginning of July and we are hoping to bring our dog and cat with us. I belive that we have to apply for an import licence from the Australian government, can anyone give me some advice ?
There are tonnes of dogs and cats already here, no need to bring more.
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough

If you do a search on this site you will come across lots of past posts discussion the subject together with advice forwarded by others who have already undergone the whole process.

www.movingdownunder.co.uk - has links to various "pet carriers"! - quarantine regulations etc

all the best
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

chch is an unknown quantity at this point

You should contact AQIS (the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service) and they will tell you everything you need to know, and can send you an information packet, giving you a detailed checklist of all the things you need to do, import permits you'll need, quarantine details and fees etc. Make sure you start sorting it all out well in advance though - it's not something you can organize at the last minute.

We brought our cat with us from Australia to the USA, and when we take her back to Australia (or NZ) she has to have an approved microchip implanted to identify her, and has to be up to date with all her vaccinations (I think rabies is the one they're most worried about) and in good health etc. As long as we do everything right she'll only need to be in quarantine for 30 days.

My information is 3 years old now so I'll have to contact AQIS, or MAF in NZ, when we eventually do go back for updated info.
Hope this helps.

The AQIS web site is www.aqis.gov.au

Last edited by chch; Jun 2nd 2003 at 2:37 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

chch is an unknown quantity at this point

Acually I've just been having a look at the AQIS site - all the import information wasn't available online when we left Australia.. here's the exact page you'll need:
http://www.affa.gov.au/content/outpu...200060A1B01896