Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking our cat to Brisbane

Taking our cat to Brisbane

Old May 7th 2006, 7:34 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light
Default Taking our cat to Brisbane

Hi all, we are new to the forum

We are hopefully moving to Brisbane this year and we want to take our cat. We have recently found out that in the Brisbane area you have to keep your cat indoors or have an enclosure in the garden for them so they cant roam onto neighbouring properties. If they do this they can be caught and taken to an impound, where if not collected can be destroyed.

You may think we are sad - but we are getting quite stressed about this as we dont want to leave him here but cant bear to think of him shut inside.

We would like to hear from anyone in a similar situation or who have a cat in Brisbane who can advise us on this. We would also be interested to chat with anyone who is moving to Brisbane or has already done so.

Thanks

Pete and Heidi
Old May 7th 2006, 8:34 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking our cat to Brisbane

[QUOTE=pete jackson]Hi all, we are new to the forum

Hi.

Are you sure this is correct? I ask this as my parents have had cats up until three years ago and they have never mentioned any such rule and I know there cats were roamers. Did you get this info from a gov. or local concil website? My parents are in Enogerra.
Old May 7th 2006, 9:17 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=killamarsh]
Originally Posted by pete jackson

Hi.

Are you sure this is correct? I ask this as my parents have had cats up until three years ago and they have never mentioned any such rule and I know there cats were roamers. Did you get this info from a gov. or local concil website? My parents are in Enogerra.
hi

We found it on a website that linked in to government rules. I dont know if it covers all brisbane councils. This particular one was the north lakes area of brisbane. Where abouts is Enogerra? It would be a relief if some areas of Brisbane dont have this rule as our cat likes to go out. We have seen a site that manufactures enclosures for gardens to keep cats in - they are like cages though!

thanks

Pete and Heidi
Old May 8th 2006, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

jacksoo is on a distinguished road

We brought our cat over & live in the burbs outside Brisbane. I made the decission, that I would bring my cat over, but that it would have no impact on the Australian wildlife. I keep my cat indoors. We are lucky & have a balconey & the cat loves to sit up there & sun herself, shouting at the less reponsible cats that roam the neighbourhood.

I am happy, I know my cat is safe & I am doing my bit in being a responsible cat owner - I understand the damage cats do to the local wildlife.

Jacksoo

Originally Posted by pete jackson

We are hopefully moving to Brisbane this year and we want to take our cat. We have recently found out that in the Brisbane area you have to keep your cat indoors or have an enclosure in the garden for them so they cant roam onto neighbouring properties. If they do this they can be caught and taken to an impound, where if not collected can be destroyed.

You may think we are sad - but we are getting quite stressed about this as we dont want to leave him here but cant bear to think of him shut inside.

We would like to hear from anyone in a similar situation or who have a cat in Brisbane who can advise us on this. We would also be interested to chat with anyone who is moving to Brisbane or has already done so.

Thanks

Pete and Heidi