Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking my dog to Brisbane

Taking my dog to Brisbane

Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

kirk stansfield will become famous soon enough
Default Taking my dog to Brisbane

I don't know if the experience would kill him, or what the cost and quarantine times would be, any advice would be appreciated as my daughters would like him with us
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking my dog to Brisbane

Don't think I have heard of an animal that has not survived the experience so the chances of it killing him must be pretty small.

The cost of moving will depend on size of dog as it goes off volume of container. We moved two cats and it cost £3k or so for everything, if he is a very small dog then maybe it would only be £2k but I imagine that would be the minimum.

At the moment quarantine is 30 days but the rules are changing and you need to get your dog vaccinated and tested for rabies otherwise the quarantine will be longer from 1st Jan. It take 6 months to get the animals tested for rabies so this is something that people need to start planning ahead for.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:26 am
Just Joined

jessiej will become famous soon enough

Hi we brought our jack russell (Dougal) over in April and it cost us in total around $4000, he seemed to cope ok with the experience (there was a fantastic dog walker at quarantine station that kept us updated with photo's and videos). Only problem since he's been here is the recent paralysis tick that nearly killed him last week (he's home today ). We had to make the decision to leave our older Labrador and cat behind and having Dougal here has helped us settle in so more, I love having him here
Jess
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

ukjoiner will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kirk stansfield
I don't know if the experience would kill him, or what the cost and quarantine times would be, any advice would be appreciated as my daughters would like him with us
Just been quoted for my whippet 15kg - £3000!! Still in shock, were roughly told about £2000 when we started all this ages ago.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

Moved my large dog from Canada to OZ...airfare alone was $2000 CDN. She needed to have the rabies test and because it was about 3 months from test to the time she arrived...she ended up spending almost 3 months in quarantine. So quarantine costs were alot for me as well.

Anyway, she survived the long flights from there to here. But unfortunately we lost her just over 2 months ago from degenerative disc disease that paralyzed her with slim to no chance of recovery. She was 5.

All up with flights, quarantine, needles, blood work and dog walker...I paid probably $7000....expensive...but I wouldn't have had it any other way. She was part of the family.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paularn
Moved my large dog from Canada to OZ...airfare alone was $2000 CDN. She needed to have the rabies test and because it was about 3 months from test to the time she arrived...she ended up spending almost 3 months in quarantine. So quarantine costs were alot for me as well.

Anyway, she survived the long flights from there to here. But unfortunately we lost her just over 2 months ago from degenerative disc disease that paralyzed her with slim to no chance of recovery. She was 5.

All up with flights, quarantine, needles, blood work and dog walker...I paid probably $7000....expensive...but I wouldn't have had it any other way. She was part of the family.
Ah, really sorry to hear that, what a shame! They are such a big part of the famiy
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Don't think I have heard of an animal that has not survived the experience so the chances of it killing him must be pretty small.

The cost of moving will depend on size of dog as it goes off volume of container. We moved two cats and it cost £3k or so for everything, if he is a very small dog then maybe it would only be £2k but I imagine that would be the minimum.

At the moment quarantine is 30 days but the rules are changing and you need to get your dog vaccinated and tested for rabies otherwise the quarantine will be longer from 1st Jan. It take 6 months to get the animals tested for rabies so this is something that people need to start planning ahead for.
Crikey 6 months to test! My dog is off later today for first lot of tests so will find out more then. Last week we had to carry him in cos he refused to walk in! Lots more to come for him
Old Oct 20th 2011, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that, I will probably take him along. I think you are right it will help us settle better.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

You have now put me in shock, whippets wont diet either so no chance of getting him down to a cheaper weight
Old Oct 20th 2011, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kirk stansfield
You have now put me in shock, whippets wont diet either so no chance of getting him down to a cheaper weight
I know its scary! If you have a look at http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs (hope that link works) you can navigate around and see where the costs lie. There will be parts of the process you can do yourself (save companies charging you to do it) so you can get the cost down a bit. It is vital you know the process as some companies when you ask split up the costs for you and some dont. So you have to be able to look and see they have included everything.

I just emailed loads of different companies, they asked me to give measurements and then quoted me. Some didn't bother to reply. Transfur Animals in West sussex seemed really helpful but otherwise I'm not much farther down the road than that yet. My vet has been helpful in finding out what he needs to have done.

I think dogs are a massive part of some peoples families. Our is. Its tough considering different options however their presence make certain things harder (like renting)
Old Oct 20th 2011, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ukjoiner
I know its scary! If you have a look at http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs (hope that link works) you can navigate around and see where the costs lie. There will be parts of the process you can do yourself (save companies charging you to do it) so you can get the cost down a bit. It is vital you know the process as some companies when you ask split up the costs for you and some dont. So you have to be able to look and see they have included everything.

I just emailed loads of different companies, they asked me to give measurements and then quoted me. Some didn't bother to reply. Transfur Animals in West sussex seemed really helpful but otherwise I'm not much farther down the road than that yet. My vet has been helpful in finding out what he needs to have done.

I think dogs are a massive part of some peoples families. Our is. Its tough considering different options however their presence make certain things harder (like renting)
Yes I never thought about the renting implications, good point and thanks
Old Oct 20th 2011, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

margaretmwilson will become famous soon enough

Hi when we brought our dog to the USA in 2009 we used Animal Airlines, they were marvellous, did everything for us, gave us step by step instructions on what we needed, they made the crate to size for our dog. I know Australia is a different kettle of fish to USA but the total cost for bringing our dog here was roughly just under £600 which is a huge difference to £2000 or £3000. Their website address is animalairlines.co.uk and you can get an online quote.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by margaretmwilson
Hi when we brought our dog to the USA in 2009 we used Animal Airlines, they were marvellous, did everything for us, gave us step by step instructions on what we needed, they made the crate to size for our dog. I know Australia is a different kettle of fish to USA but the total cost for bringing our dog here was roughly just under £600 which is a huge difference to £2000 or £3000. Their website address is animalairlines.co.uk and you can get an online quote.
Cool thanks, will try them