Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking Motorbikes Abroad??

Wikiposts

Taking Motorbikes Abroad??

Old Oct 24th 2007, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Taking Motorbikes Abroad??

Phoenix

Did you find that thye valued your bike fairly?? Did the values compare to U.K value. So if I have an R1 valued at around £5,500 here I can expect to pay $550 dollars GST???
Old Oct 24th 2007, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tripawaymars
Thanks Phoenix..who did you ship with??

Did you pack the container or did they?
The quotes I am getting seem to charge you extra for having a bike in there..did they supply straps etc to secure the bikes or did you do it all?? Not crated sounds a bit risky to me. I don't want to leave the bike here mind you as I love it to bits and have been looking at stuff for sale and know I wont get what I want in Cairns!!

Thanks for your help.
Packed our own container - hence why I was happy to pack my own bikes. I used tie downs and mattresses. As I said, all arrived without a scratch.
They did end up being totally buried underneath last minute stuff I must admit.
Anyway - i have a thread here abouts somewhere about shipping and containers which says who we used to ship, but i can't recommend a 'bike' shipper perse as we didn't use one preferring to make all our own arrangements.

Niddrie plates arrived today so we're off to sort out the final pieve of the jigsaw with the bikes tomorrow - whoohoo

Can I just add - it's not rocket science to bring your bike - don't let shipping companies or agents etc tell you it is, cos they is fibbin
Old Oct 24th 2007, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tripawaymars
Phoenix

Did you find that thye valued your bike fairly?? Did the values compare to U.K value. So if I have an R1 valued at around £5,500 here I can expect to pay $550 dollars GST???
Yes -

Go to Parkers price guide and get a valuation on your bike. It will be in GB Pounds, they appear to use the 'trade' value.

With this in mind-convert to aussie dollars x 10% hey preston - GST Tax payment
Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

tazkenny is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm another one who was determined to bring my bike out. In the end I sold it a week before my packers came. I really couldn't be bothered with the grief when I had so much else to do. Yes I probably, in fact definently lost out financially against the cost of replacing it out here, but hey it's not the end of the world and at least I don't have to suffer the whole customs and registration farce once it arrived.

I was concerned about the lack of bikes when I searched the net but when you get here you soon find out there are plenty available.