Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking money with you (on the plane in person)

Taking money with you (on the plane in person)

Old Oct 26th 2008, 9:48 pm
sub
Forum Regular

sub will become famous soon enoughsub will become famous soon enough
Default Taking money with you (on the plane in person)

How much money can you actually take with you? In your purse with you on the plane? I know we will need to declare it etc the other side, thats not a problem but dont want to come up against any difficulties going through customs.

We want to take enough to buy a car/s in first few days and generally be comfortable in first few days/weeks.
Anyone taken substantial amount in person?
Thanks for your help
Old Oct 26th 2008, 9:59 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking money with you (on the plane in person)

Originally Posted by sub
How much money can you actually take with you? In your purse with you on the plane? I know we will need to declare it etc the other side, thats not a problem but dont want to come up against any difficulties going through customs.

We want to take enough to buy a car/s in first few days and generally be comfortable in first few days/weeks.
Thanks for your help
I think from memory it is 10,000 aud. Double check with the airlines.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 10:00 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sub

Thanks for your help
i`m sure its up to 10k undeclared and pretty much what you want if you declare it
we brought about 10k`ish with us, i delclared it and it wasnt a problem

from the au customs site

Currency
There is no limit to the amount of currency you can bring in or out of Australia. However, you must declare amounts of A$10,000 or more in Australian currency or foreign equivalent. If asked by Customs you must also fill in a Bearer Negotiable Instruments (BNI) form if you're carrying promissory notes, travellers cheques, personal cheques, money orders or postal orders.

Last edited by steve`o; Oct 26th 2008 at 10:02 pm. Reason: u`s playing up on the keyboard lol
Old Oct 26th 2008, 10:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sub

Thanks for your help
Leave a UK bank account open with cash in it, bring your cashpoint card and draw the money out over here.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 10:21 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Leave a UK bank account open with cash in it, bring your cashpoint card and draw the money out over here.
thats going to be hidiousely expensive polly when we used our natwest card the exchange rate was about 20 cents under bankrate and they also charged £6 per transaction robbin barstewards
Old Oct 26th 2008, 10:23 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

If you're stopping in any other countries along the way you'd want to check their regulations as well.

We brought 0 cash with us when we came. We exchanged about $300 CND at the airport for AU credit/debit cards worked fine. No need to carry $10,000 on you. Although I would suggest more than $300!
Old Oct 26th 2008, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steve`o
thats going to be hidiousely expensive polly when we used our natwest card the exchange rate was about 20 cents under bankrate and they also charged £6 per transaction robbin barstewards
Not if you have time to open a Nationwide account. No fees. Don't do badly on the exchange rate either although not as competitive as the FX traders of course.

Or open a bank account before you leave at one of the Aussie banks?
Old Oct 26th 2008, 10:42 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by Iwannabethere
Not if you have time to open a Nationwide account. No fees. Don't do badly on the exchange rate either although not as competitive as the FX traders of course.

excellent this should be added to the sites wiki bit for future use
Old Oct 27th 2008, 2:11 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iwannabethere

If you are talking about their gold card, they have stopped sending them to Australia because of "security concerns". Ridiculous!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 2:59 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sub

Thanks for your help
In theory you can bring as much cash as you can fit in your purse. However, common sense says not to carry too much on your person in cash. Any amount over $10000 AUD needs to be declared, but that's not to say you can't carry $10k and your partner carry another 10k. I myself wouldn't carry any more than about $1000 cash on me, but then that's just me.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wol
If you are talking about their gold card, they have stopped sending them to Australia because of "security concerns". Ridiculous!
Nope, just standard Flex Account. Changed my address with them yesterday and no problem sending to Oz. Only thing is that you need one of their card reader thingos for online banking and you must get it before you go 'cos they won't send that overseas.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:05 pm
sub
Forum Regular

sub will become famous soon enoughsub will become famous soon enough

Yeah thats what I thought, you never get a good exchange rate from the hole in the wall!
Will need the cash when I get there, so looks like I will need to carry it!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

woodview is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to agree Nationwide is very handy for getting cash out to Oz, if you have a joint account both of you can max out £250 per day and at no extra charge from ATMs. Good bank rate as well.

Our son has kept his Nationwide account open so if we want to send him money we can just do a online transfer and he takes the money out of an ATM in Oz.

Another point is even if Oz is OK with you taking £10k in cash you better check with the rules in your stopover country.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Been doing the nationwide thing for years - both credit & current account! Works a treat, never take cash abroad when on holidays - just hit the ATM at the airport when I arrive.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 11:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe but I'd rather do that than fly round the world with the cash in my pocket! Personal view, thats all

excellent this should be added to the sites wiki bit for future use
Off you go then, we need some more Wiki updates

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.