Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking left hand drive car to Oz?

Taking left hand drive car to Oz?

Old Feb 15th 2004, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

kaz101 will become famous soon enoughkaz101 will become famous soon enough
Default Taking left hand drive car to Oz?

Being positive that we get our medicals and pass etc..... we would want to take our classic mauve Mustang with us to Oz. Now I've read through threads about taking cars to Oz, but I haven't seen anything about left hand drive cars. Recently my husband read an article saying that left hand drive cars are not allowed to be imported into Oz. Does anyone know if this is true? It would mean that we would have to have it converted here in the UK since we really don't want to leave it behind

Ta,
Karen
Old Feb 15th 2004, 9:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

karen,

Sent you a pm

Pollyana
Old Feb 15th 2004, 9:19 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking left hand drive car to Oz?

Originally posted by kaz101
Being positive that we get our medicals and pass etc..... we would want to take our classic mauve Mustang with us to Oz. Now I've read through threads about taking cars to Oz, but I haven't seen anything about left hand drive cars. Recently my husband read an article saying that left hand drive cars are not allowed to be imported into Oz. Does anyone know if this is true? It would mean that we would have to have it converted here in the UK since we really don't want to leave it behind

Ta,
Karen
Next time I see a mustang I will try and see what hand drive it is. I have seen plenty of them driving around this area.
Old Feb 15th 2004, 9:43 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kaz101

Ta,
Karen
We are taking our LHD car down with us and have started looking at the import procedures and discussions with Canberra

WA & ACT are the only two states that you can import a LHD car in to and get registration. (Cant remember where this is written down - will have a search through our stuff and post later once we find the link - might take a few days cos we have loads of stuff )

Seems a bit crazy cos once you're there, there doesnt seem to be any driving restrictions. It seems you can drive a LHD car in NSW, QLD, VIC etc but can't register it there !!!!!!!
Old Feb 16th 2004, 2:30 am
Just Joined

landhopper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LHD if its an oldie

How old is your mustang? It may have changed but classic cars (over 20 yrs old) were allowed to be left hand drive, registered and driven where ever, but its been awhile since I took any notice of such things so it may have changed !!
Old Feb 16th 2004, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

Our LHD was made in 1971 so it's definitely more than 20 years old

TTFN,
Karen
Old Feb 16th 2004, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by bondipom
Next time I see a mustang I will try and see what hand drive it is. I have seen plenty of them driving around this area.
The last few times we've been out to Sydney we've met up with the Mustang Owners Club of Australia (MOCA) but all their Mustangs have been converted to RHD - even the classics.

We have no objections to the conversion but we would rather have it done in Oz than here.

TTFN,
Karen
Old Feb 16th 2004, 10:06 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Check with the dept of transport in the state to which you are going, and they will be able to help you. All vehicles on the road should be registered. Seen plenty of LHD vehicles driving around the streets with Qld rego plates on, Shelby-Mustangs, Chevies, WW2 Jeeps etc.

Plenty of car clubs around too. At specific race meetings you can enter in Regularity Trials and drive at you own pace with other enthusiasts or really stretch its legs and use it as it was designed to be used. Or you could participate in roadrallies which don't require breaking speedlimits.

If converting check with state motoring organisation (RACQ or equiv) for approved conversion facilities.

best of luck!