Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking kids to the cinema for the first time

Taking kids to the cinema for the first time

Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:50 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taking kids to the cinema for the first time

Thinking of taking the young one to the Cinema for the first time in the weekend. To see "The Hedge"

What age do you think is too young?
Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking kids to the cinema for the first time

Originally Posted by thebears
Thinking of taking the young one to the Cinema for the first time in the weekend. To see "The Hedge"

I personally would not take a child under 3 but only because when mine were they were totally unable to sit still for more than 10 mins at a time, and didn't get the concept of quiet both vocally and eating and I get really wound up by people taking any age kids who think they are in their living room and make as much noise as they like without being told off.

Rant over.

Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

How old are they?

Although I personally HATE screaming and chatty kids when I go to the cinema, I know it is what I have to expect if I want to go see a film that is aimed at kids and I think you will find that most people there will be in the same boat as yourself so don't let it stress you out too much
Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:27 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teliko21
How old are they?

Although I personally HATE screaming and chatty kids when I go to the cinema, I know it is what I have to expect if I want to go see a film that is aimed at kids and I think you will find that most people there will be in the same boat as yourself so don't let it stress you out too much
Our youngest was just turned 2 when we first took her. She sat for around 30 mins which wasn't bad! Last month we took both girls (age 4 and 2.5) to see The Wild and they both sat for the entire film

They do wriggle about a bit but where we live the cinema has a family showing each saturday at 10am where tickets are only £1 so it's full of wriggling kids so it doesn't matter if they get up occasionally.

A couple of months ago we took the girls to see Greyfriars Bobby as we've been reading the book withthem (trying to give them some idea of their Scottish history before we go). The girls LOVED it and at one point the 4yo jumped out of her seat and shouted "Run Bobby" The whole place erupted in laughter
Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
Our youngest was just turned 2 when we first took her. She sat for around 30 mins which wasn't bad! Last month we took both girls (age 4 and 2.5) to see The Wild and they both sat for the entire film

They do wriggle about a bit but where we live the cinema has a family showing each saturday at 10am where tickets are only £1 so it's full of wriggling kids so it doesn't matter if they get up occasionally.

A couple of months ago we took the girls to see Greyfriars Bobby as we've been reading the book withthem (trying to give them some idea of their Scottish history before we go). The girls LOVED it and at one point the 4yo jumped out of her seat and shouted "Run Bobby" The whole place erupted in laughter
awwww I loved Greyfriars Bobby but it's sad Didn't realise there was a film version of it though
Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

As long as they don't make too much noise and can sit pretty still, I don't think it matters what age they are. I've been to the cinema and sometimes the younger looking children are better behaved than the older ones.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 8:04 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Birch Carroll Coyle (Brisbane)have sessions for mothers with babies and toddlers. I assume it would be the same in Melbourne. I think it is a good idea because if your paying $14-15 each, you want to be able to watch it in peace.

Last edited by The Bloke; Jul 5th 2006 at 8:07 am.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 8:10 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teliko21
awwww I loved Greyfriars Bobby but it's sad Didn't realise there was a film version of it though

Walt Disney did a version 30+ years ago. Haven't seen a modern version but then you can't really redo classics and have them turn out the same way.
BTW, yes I cried abit too.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 8:21 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies. Our daughter is a tall 2 3/4 year old and we were thinking of taking her to a 9.45 session (do I have to mention AM?)

She did sit comfortably through alot of DVD on the trip over (inflight) but might take her to the park before hand to run out any excess energy
Old Jul 5th 2006, 8:35 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies. Our daughter is a tall 2 3/4 year old and we were thinking of taking her to a 9.45 session (do I have to mention AM?)

She did sit comfortably through alot of DVD on the trip over (inflight) but might take her to the park before hand to run out any excess energy

It all depends on how much of an understanding of what they're seeing. The more they understand, I think, the more they sit still. My daughter was 4, then her sister was 3 and my son was just over 2 (because I had to take him if the girls wanted to see the film!)

4 is ideal, 3 is pretty ok, but 2 is a bit of a nightmare .... but hey, it's noisy anyway so it doesn't matter.

Have a good time.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

sunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant future

We probably started when my youngest was about three. I used to take a pack of small snacks, crackers or chopped fruit to distract her if she got bored and chatty.
Hope you enjoy it.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

The Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really nice

We took our 3 year old to see Over the Hedge and she loved it, sat through the whole thing , transfixed giving her a few treats along the way helped!
Old Jul 5th 2006, 8:48 am
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by The Muppets
We took our 3 year old to see Over the Hedge and she loved it, sat through the whole thing , transfixed giving her a few treats along the way helped!
That will probably be me as well
Old Jul 5th 2006, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Big Ellie! is on a distinguished road

We've been taking our boys to the cinema since they were about 2 & 3 & haven't really had any problems with them as they've always been overawed with the darkness & big screen - what we have tended to do though is wait until the film is at the end of their run at the cinema & there are fewer people there!

They are now 4 & 6 & we saw 'Over the Hedge' during the hols & they loved it (although I am starting to get a bit fed up with the line "I can burp my A, B, Cs!" that they learned!) - BTW we saw it in the Crown complex & every time we've been there to watch a kid's film it's been really quiet!

Enjoy!
Old Jul 5th 2006, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Muppets

i took my then 4, and 6 year old to see Nemo( a few years ago) they were fine but the trailers went on too long, and the younger one got bored and kept asking what was happeningduring the film.

my then 2 year old went to granma's.
i also sat at the back row to make escape easy for trips to the loo .

My now youngest who is 4 will happily watch a dvd but does fidgit so as yet has not been to the flicks.

Hope the young Bears enjoy the movie
Mandy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.