Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

taking hairdryers

taking hairdryers

Old Aug 1st 2004, 12:39 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default taking hairdryers

Hiya,

Now I know that this is really really dafty but I'm gonna ask anyway. Can I take all my hairdryers, straightners and tongs to australia = will they work or is there a different current which which make them not work
cheers
diddy (girl one)
Old Aug 1st 2004, 12:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: taking hairdryers

If coming from the UK - no worries about voltage - it's the same. Just get new adaptors for the plugs. Bring a few UK socket boards, just don't overload them.

Jeremy

Originally posted by diddy
Hiya,

Now I know that this is really really dafty but I'm gonna ask anyway. Can I take all my hairdryers, straightners and tongs to australia = will they work or is there a different current which which make them not work
cheers
diddy (girl one)
Old Aug 1st 2004, 2:17 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Originally posted by diddy
Hiya,

cheers
diddy (girl one)
Hi Mrs Diddy!

Your question's not a dafty at all ... very practical in fact!

A few tips regarding electrical appliances generally:
  • The voltage is the same (240v) but the actual plug fittings are different. Plugs still have the same type of wiring, ie mostly three pin plugs, but in a different layout (pin shape and pattern).
  • Many electrical brand names are the same but some don't make the same applicances. If you're concerned about repairs or spare parts for, say, a washing machine or other larger appliance, I'd highly recommend contacting the manufacturer and requesting a list of recommended repairers for that item to check that they are, in fact, in Australia.

My family's experience in this regard was to enquire whether Hotpoint was in Oz (for washing machine repairs). We were told that they were. When we got there and needed repairs (some time down the track), we discovered that they only did small appliances (such as kettles) in Oz, so no washing machine parts/repairs.

Of course, smaller things like hair dryers, etc., are fairly cheaply replaced, so not problem in that regard.
  • When travelling between the two countries, I always make sure that I have at least two or three international plug adaptors. This will ensure that you can still use your existing small appliances, computers, etc., without having to bother with changing/re-wiring the plugs straight away. You can always do that over time but may want to use some things immediately.
  • As JAJ said, take a power board/socket board (with multiple plug points) or two with you. This way you can always plug in the power board to the international adaptor and still use your English plugged items via the board. An short extension lead is also handy to save mucking around in the short term.
Old Aug 1st 2004, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, they should work fine. Every time I go home, I take my hairdrier, straighteners, etc. just have to use an adaptor for the plug.
Old Aug 1st 2004, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Sherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by ProofReader
Hi Mrs Diddy!

Your question's not a dafty at all ... very practical in fact!

A few tips regarding electrical appliances generally:
  • The voltage is the same (240v) but the actual plug fittings are different. Plugs still have the same type of wiring, ie mostly three pin plugs, but in a different layout (pin shape and pattern).
  • Many electrical brand names are the same but some don't make the same applicances. If you're concerned about repairs or spare parts for, say, a washing machine or other larger appliance, I'd highly recommend contacting the manufacturer and requesting a list of recommended repairers for that item to check that they are, in fact, in Australia.

My family's experience in this regard was to enquire whether Hotpoint was in Oz (for washing machine repairs). We were told that they were. When we got there and needed repairs (some time down the track), we discovered that they only did small appliances (such as kettles) in Oz, so no washing machine parts/repairs.

Of course, smaller things like hair dryers, etc., are fairly cheaply replaced, so not problem in that regard.
  • When travelling between the two countries, I always make sure that I have at least two or three international plug adaptors. This will ensure that you can still use your existing small appliances, computers, etc., without having to bother with changing/re-wiring the plugs straight away. You can always do that over time but may want to use some things immediately.
  • As JAJ said, take a power board/socket board (with multiple plug points) or two with you. This way you can always plug in the power board to the international adaptor and still use your English plugged items via the board. An short extension lead is also handy to save mucking around in the short term.
Thanks for mentioning about Hotpoint Washers, i have both a Hotpoint washer and dryer, both only one year old, thought they would be ok to take but obviously will have to dump them when eventually they go wrong.
Thanks for pre-warning me....!!!

Sherie
Old Aug 1st 2004, 8:14 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Originally posted by Sherie
Thanks for mentioning about Hotpoint Washers, i have both a Hotpoint washer and dryer, both only one year old, thought they would be ok to take but obviously will have to dump them when eventually they go wrong.
Thanks for pre-warning me....!!!

Sherie
Sherie, don't be too hasty!

The information I gave about Hotpoint was correct at the time that my family emigrated to Oz ... in 1977!!! It would pay you to double check what the situation is now.

Having said that however, I don't ever recall having seen any Hotpoint washing machines recently in Oz!