Taking funds

Old Jul 17th 2014, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Pomm is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Taking funds

Hi all
First of many posts I expect.
I'm due to start work in Sydney soon and I was wondering the best way to take funds over there.
Do I take cash, if so do I get it changed here in uk or over there
Travellers cheques
Just take a few quid and put the rest in bank?
I've heard various pros and cons for all so I dunno what the best option is
Thanks
Old Jul 18th 2014, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking funds

Originally Posted by Pomm
Hi all
First of many posts I expect.
I'm due to start work in Sydney soon and I was wondering the best way to take funds over there.
Do I take cash, if so do I get it changed here in uk or over there
Travellers cheques
Just take a few quid and put the rest in bank?
I've heard various pros and cons for all so I dunno what the best option is
Thanks
Travellers cheques? What are they?

I suspect you bank card will do and perhaps a few dollars in case you have trouble with the bank machine at the airport. I think that's what I did and always do when I travel abroad. Mind you, I never take any local currency - I just have good faith that HSBC will let me withdraw the local currency upon arrival.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

How much money are you talking about, if it's holiday money amounts then is probably just go for cashpoint withdrawal once here?

For more than a couple of thousand I'd probably look at online banking and a money transfer company such as ozforex or hifx once you have an Aussie account to transfer to (set up the money transfer account now though as it doesn't cost anything but you have to provide ID).

If you are talking amounts greater than online banking will allow you need to arrange the process in advance with your bank so they will be able to verify the request comes from you when you are overseas
Old Jul 18th 2014, 11:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

International Money Transfers - Low Fees, Great Rates - Send Money Overseas
Old Jul 19th 2014, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
How much money are you talking about, if it's holiday money amounts then is proif I wasn't ably just go for cashpoint withdrawal once here?

For more than a couple of thousand I'd probably look at online banking and a money transfer company such as ozforex or hifx once you have an Aussie account to transfer to (set up the money transfer account now though as it doesn't cost anything but you have to provide ID).

If you are talking amounts greater than online banking will allow you need to arrange the process in advance with your bank so they will be able to verify the request comes from you when you are overseas
Are you serious. I'm pretty sure I could transfer £50000 from the UK to Austalia quickly and easily even I was not in the UK.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute

I took some cash and also opened up a bank account with ANZ before I moved (you'll have to check if you can still do this), I was then able to transfer some money to their before I moved, I could then pick up my cards from the branch in Perth when I arrived and also withdraw money using my passport (in person) in the interim.