Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking the first step

Taking the first step

Old Sep 26th 2007, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

HFamily will become famous soon enough
Default Taking the first step

We have finally plucked up the courage and booked a 2 and 1/2 week holiday to Sydney.

I plan to have some meetings with potential employers.

We also plan to look at schools and housing.

Can you suggest other things worth doing during this inital wreckie visit (we will do some sightseeing).

Thanks
Old Sep 27th 2007, 12:33 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking the first step

Originally Posted by HFamily
We have finally plucked up the courage and booked a 2 and 1/2 week holiday to Sydney.

Can you suggest other things worth doing during this inital wreckie visit (we will do some sightseeing).

Thanks
As no one else has responded here is my suggestion. Don't worry too much about work, most won't talk to you even unless you are in the country for good with your visa. An idea what you will earn to judge house prices / rentals by is the main thing you need in that respect.

Concentrate on seeing real Australia not the touristy bits like the city centre. Get out into the burbs / bush and decide what areas geographically you like and what sort of accommodation you like - metro, suburban, semi-rural or rural. Go food shopping, see how busy areas are, notice what public transport is like, consider the lifestyle you like and which areas will provide it. Ok, Perth is different, but lots of people here make the mistake of buying in suburbia thinking it will be like the UK - walking distance to town with a dzoen pubs in staggering distance - that sort of thing.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 2:37 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Taking the first step

Originally Posted by HFamily

Thanks
Reckie's are good ideas, but living there is so different. At least you seem to be on the ball and doing things properly, checking out different areas, schools, shops, housing...not much more you can do on a reckie in 2 weeks. Try to see it as if you were living there though, take the tints off.