Reload this Page >

Taking fido to Oz

Taking fido to Oz

Old Feb 26th 2010, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

miss_morph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking fido to Oz

Hi all,

I'm looking for your feedback on taking your pets to Australia, particularly anyone who has trasported their dog over there.

How did they cope? were they different/changed after the flight (from the stress)? how was the quaranteening experience for you and the dog? and does your pooch have problems or get into trouble with snakes/spiders (we'll be going to NSW, just north of Sydney)

F.Y.I: We have a 3 year old Akita (like a huskie) who will be 6/7 years old by the time we've saved up enough money to move (no assets as we are not property owners)!

Thanks
Sarah
Old Feb 26th 2010, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking fido to Oz

I found some information that might be handy for you:

http://www.australiamigrate.co.uk/pets-australia.htm

http://www.aussiemove.com/aus/pets.asp

http://www.emigrationexpert.co.uk/Ta...uEmigrate.html

http://www.gettingdownunder.com/2006...-to-australia/

Good Luck
Old Feb 28th 2010, 4:59 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

My dog came over five years ago.....he was and still is very spoiled....sleeps on bed etc, has run of house..caviar for dinner etc .blah blah...and i was worried about him coping without his home comforts, however, he coped well with the flight and quarantine. He slept for a week solid though when we picked him up from quarantine, but soon got back to his usual self....

I must add, however, that I did not cope as well as him!! I visited him every week in quarantine and really wish I hadn't.....he didn't really respond much to me, just the assigned worker who was looking after him...I'm sure it's a very confusing period for them, but they adapt and soon get back to their normal selves!

Last edited by Welshie; Feb 28th 2010 at 5:02 am.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by miss_morph
Hi all,

I'm looking for your feedback on taking your pets to Australia, particularly anyone who has trasported their dog over there.

How did they cope? were they different/changed after the flight (from the stress)? how was the quaranteening experience for you and the dog? and does your pooch have problems or get into trouble with snakes/spiders (we'll be going to NSW, just north of Sydney)

F.Y.I: We have a 3 year old Akita (like a huskie) who will be 6/7 years old by the time we've saved up enough money to move (no assets as we are not property owners)!

Thanks
Sarah
you will have to save a lot more to fetch your dog over best to find him a good home in the uk.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Steveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the rough

We brought our dog over in 2008 and he coped very well with the flight and quarantine,although he did lose 5kg luckily he was an overweight dog to start with.
I worried about spiders, snakes etc but have never seen one yet!!!!

I have to say it was the best money I spent I would not be without him, some people find it easier to re-home but that was very an option but it was expensive!!!!
Good Luck
Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

MaCCCa is a jewel in the roughMaCCCa is a jewel in the roughMaCCCa is a jewel in the roughMaCCCa is a jewel in the rough

We have decided to leave ours in the Uk. Mainly as we cannot afford the fees for transporting but also she will be almost 10 and not sure she would benefit from it. We hopefully have a loving home sorted for her - but its gonna be the hardest thing in the world leaving her as she is one of the family.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

tabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nice

Originally Posted by MaCCCa
We have decided to leave ours in the Uk. Mainly as we cannot afford the fees for transporting but also she will be almost 10 and not sure she would benefit from it. We hopefully have a loving home sorted for her - but its gonna be the hardest thing in the world leaving her as she is one of the family.
can anyone tell me how much it costs? I have a terrier that i will want to bring with me but am told it is very costly........
Old Mar 1st 2010, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Hi, i researched this recently and a 'yahoo ask' search said allow £3500 for all flights, vaccinations, paperwork, veterinary checks etc, and then another £500 for the quaranteening in Oz (30 days). This is just a figure i found on the web so i don't know how realistic is it, obviously your total figure would be less than mine as your dog is smaller, but this is what we are budgeting for.
Sarah
Old Mar 1st 2010, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

tabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nicetabskitten is just really nice

Oh help- that is bad news!

Thanks for the info through - are you taking yours after all?
Old Mar 1st 2010, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tabskitten

You might be better getting a quote specific to your dog as price is very much related to the volume of the container required, which varies a lot with dogs.

I had a quote a while back of about £1,600 for two cats which also requires a pretty large container.

If you go to airpets website you can fill in a form with your dogs dimensions and they will send you a quote.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tabskitten

Hi tabskitten.

Oh God yes! i wouldn't be without my baby! the only way we wouldn't take her is if her health didn't permit or if she was really old and we didn't expect her to live much longer, but the date we're thinking of emigrating she'll only be 6 and a half or 7.

Sarah

Last edited by miss_morph; Mar 1st 2010 at 6:20 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

We brought 4 dogs over nearly a year ago, they were aged between 2 years to 13 years - we went through Overhills it was £5900 for all 4 added to that you will have fee's for blood tests. For us money didn't come into it, we wouldn't have come without them. Sydney quarantine was brilliant, you get a mobile number for the kennel hand that is looking after your dog, when we rang she always knew which dog had put weight on or off, when we visited them, they kept running to door when they heard her, so that was a good sign.

Since then we have lived in Qld with them for 7 weeks and now in NSW. A trip to your vets to get registered when you arrive is a good idea and the vet will let you know what there is about in your area with regards to nasties, other than that is is just habit if you live in a paralysis tick area of checking your dog every day (luckily we don't live where they are), We don't have Cane Toads either but again pick water bowls up outside at night and keep dogs away from them. Snakes - commonsense keep areas clean and tidy, we have acreage which is fenced but no doubt they are about, we put snake proof fencing up around our back patio area so they have a safe area to wee etc, I never have them out in the acreage without me anyway much the same as England I always knew where they were. They are very much house dogs and aren't out on their own. Luckily we haven't seen a single snake yet (we have Browns, Tigers and blacks in the area) and we are semi rural, even on walks, plenty of Kangas about but not a snake yet thankfully. Some large Lizards in the garden but they just stay clear of the dogs.

Next door has 5 dogs was talking to her this morning, she's never lost a dog to a snake bite, they are outside dogs as seems to be the norm with Aussies.

Plenty of spiders about, hubby moved a rock pile the other day and had to squish about 5 Redbacks in it, other than that we'd only seen 2 in the year we've been here. Huntsmans are about but leave them alone to eat other spiders, we have Wolf Spiders and put them outside if they come in as well.

Overall it's not much different for them here really, treat heat with respect and keep surroundings clean and speak to your vet when you arrive.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

My dog is currenly in quarantine at Eastern Creek (Sydney). She arrived on 8th Feb and unfortunately, due to circumstances, she will be there until 28th April.

I arrived in OZ 2 days later (we are in far north Queensland) and when I followed up with the quarantine station, I was given the name of the carer looking after my dog. When I contacted her directly she told me my dog was very scared and wasn't eating (I've heard this is quite normal for dogs/cats). She suggested a dog walker.

I spoke to her about a week later and she said my dog was eating but still nervous and again suggested a dog walker, thinking that she would do better if someone was to come around to take her out and spend time with her.

Last week the dog walker started visiting/playing - I've received pictures and my dog appears to be happy and doing well and from what I'm hearing from them, she is. I'm happy I hired the dog walker, because I am too far away to visit....I don't know if I was closer if I would actually visit, I would think it would be tough on my dog and myself for me to turn around and leave her there.

I don't know how she did with the flight, she obviously survived it and is surviving quarantine as well. We are counting down the time until I can get her on a flight to Queensland...where it will be another adjustment for her to where we're living now!
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 10:16 am
Just Joined

Did those of you that already have your pets out there use the full package service, airpets for example, who sort everything out for you from paperwork to the air kennel etc, or did you DIY?
I've just had a quote from them for £3663.00 for one dog in August 2011!! this is the itemised list of what that price includes.

Freight
I.A.T.A. Air Travel Container(s)
Airline Handling Fees
Delivery to Airport
Application for Import Permit
Owners / Curators declaration
Application for Ministry Of Agriculture Export Certificate
DEFRA Export Cert inc. 96 hour Paraciticide
Sealing of Air Kennel(s) by Airport Vet
Microchip Identification
Collection From U.K. Residence
Boarding - 1 days duration
Customs Entries UK

i don't even know if we'd need all of this... e.g. 'boarding 1 day duration' and 'collection from UK residence'? surely i drop her off to them so i can say goodbye! :-(

They also said current Sydeney quarantine rates are $1400 AUD for the 30 days.

Sarah
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

I did everything myself. Alot of people I know used petmovers and I had given serious thought to doing it as well because the whole process seemed overwhelming and I thought it would be easier to let someone else do it. As I said, in the end I did it myself, lots of running around to do, but in the end I felt quite proud of myself that I did it without paying someone to do it for me. I needed the money for the move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.