Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking dogs from UK to Australia

Taking dogs from UK to Australia

Old Jan 5th 2012, 3:54 pm
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light
Question Taking dogs from UK to Australia

I am looking into bring our beloved dog over to Australia when we come. I know about the rabies jab and the new law that just got brought in, however does anyone know anything about moving the dog, like how much it would cost, if i need a 'dog passport'
I have just skimmed the surface and seeing fees for about £3000 which is quite scary.
Can anyone share their thoughts and experiences with me, thanks
Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Taking dogs from UK to Australia

£3000 might be right. I saw someone say it was £2000 for a cat!
Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:06 pm
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
£3000 might be right. I saw someone say it was £2000 for a cat!
Shame i can't get that cost in the sponsored visa lol
Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

I couldn't believe the cost..
Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:14 pm
Planning for the future

It costs more that the dog!!!!! and then you have the worry of them in quarantine and then when they get there, eating things they shouldn't such as red back spiders and the like..... so many things to consider.. pity you couldn't just have an animal holding at the back of the plane and they come through customs with us lol, i could fly first class (or at least business class) for that lol
Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

FPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud of

Yep I priced it at £3000 earlier this year.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:40 pm
Planning for the future

Originally Posted by FPE88
Yep I priced it at £3000 earlier this year.
Thanks, i was hoping to be wrong
Old Jan 5th 2012, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma_Par
Thanks, i was hoping to be wrong
I agree 3k seems about right for one medium dog, was about 3k for two cats for us.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 10:09 am
Just Joined

angelica12 is just really niceangelica12 is just really niceangelica12 is just really niceangelica12 is just really niceangelica12 is just really niceangelica12 is just really niceangelica12 is just really niceangelica12 is just really nice

I've been looking into it as well as I really don't want to leave our dog but the price is gonna be about £3K.

As much as I don't want to I think we are going to have to re-home our dog. Gonna break my heart but the whole point of use moving is for a better life for our kids and with £3k less in our pockets it just doesn't make sense!!!
Old Jan 6th 2012, 11:52 am
Planning for the future

Originally Posted by angelica12
I've been looking into it as well as I really don't want to leave our dog but the price is gonna be about £3K.

As much as I don't want to I think we are going to have to re-home our dog. Gonna break my heart but the whole point of use moving is for a better life for our kids and with £3k less in our pockets it just doesn't make sense!!!
know the feeling, we have got two, but agreed to leave one of them as it would be the best thing for her where as the other one would be fine. It looks like the spending belt tightens a little more
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:28 pm
Planning for the future

Apparently after the rabbis jab they don't need a blood test any more .... has anyone else heard of this and have any more details??
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelica12

Hopefully you will refrain from getting a pet in the future if you will dump it the minute any expenses come up.

And Australia won't provide a "better future for your kids". It is just another first world country.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 9:43 am
Permanent Resident

Laights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of light

I dont know whereabouts you are in the UK but have you tried Golden Arrow in Shropshire, we used them and they were not as expensive as others. Excellent service.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 9:46 am
Planning for the future

Originally Posted by Laights
I dont know whereabouts you are in the UK but have you tried Golden Arrow in Shropshire, we used them and they were not as expensive as others. Excellent service.
I'm in Hertfordshire, I will give them a ring, you never know they may be able to recommend someone down this way. Thanks
Old Jan 7th 2012, 10:25 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Hopefully you will refrain from getting a pet in the future if you will dump it the minute any expenses come up.

And Australia won't provide a "better future for your kids". It is just another first world country.
Please try not to judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes it's not really helpful.

I can say that I did all the paperwork for our girl myself and it was long, and tedious, but not difficult. she's a 30kg dog and cost £2400 plus the vet fees to get to Australia... and about the same back... remember that you need to factor in 30 days quarantine too (Around $900)
And when we come back again I dare say she'll be just as expensive..... She's 11 now and it's not even an option to leave her anywhere.... nobody else would put up with her Diva ways!

Yes it's pricey, but for me it was akin to leaving one of the children behind (although I've managed to scatter them liberally across the globe with minimal effort! )

I hope that you find a way to bring your pet, but if not, please do make sure you find a loving permanent home before you leave.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.