Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

taking the dog!!!!!

taking the dog!!!!!

Old Jan 15th 2003, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default taking the dog!!!!!

could any body recommend a decent livestock shipping company, for our small dog, ive just been quoted £1600, by par air services, this is including every thing, inc quarantine fees etc. is this about right, i had budgeted £1000. :scared:
Old Jan 15th 2003, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough
Default Dog Shipping

Crikey that sounds rather steep. I haven't started looking into pricing for taking my Lab.

Lucky she's a good swimmer as I think she's going to have to swim. Any ideas about shark repellant?

On a different thread. What is life like for dogs in Brisbane. Are there restrictions on where they can go etc - very lax in UK as long as you poop scoop and don't go on particular beaches in Summer. Is it dangerous as my dog likes to forage (sticking her head into every hole and bush going)?

Roger
Old Jan 15th 2003, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

at least yours is pedigree!!!! our little scraggy mutt aint worth a fiver, looks like its dog pie!!!! no not really, the kids wont go if she dont. when we travelled round brissy there were alot of "no dog" signs, on the beaches.
Old Jan 15th 2003, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of
Default dogs

Hi andie
Try Airpets Oceanic, for our Labrador we have been quoted £1332.00. But we have to get the health certificate, and blood tests locally.

c-ya Yve
Old Jan 15th 2003, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks, does that include the quarantine and shipping to final destination???? our dog has to go to sydney for the quarantine then on to brissy. our quote just to take her is £700 but with everything added on, it shoots up to £1600. (she only needs a tiny crate, i could fit her in my camera bag!!!!)
Old Jan 15th 2003, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all
Default Re: dogs

We also used Airpets to take our dogs to Canada and they are okay, all you are paying for basicly is to get the dogs seen by a vet who will declare them fit for travel and for the crates that they go in which are good actually. We still had to pay an excess baggage charge to AirCanada. We paid 348 pounds for them to keep two dogs overnight, prepare health certificates and for the crates. You are probably best off giving the airline you are going with a call as well.

When we got to the other end, we were standing at immigration for what seemed like ages coz all I could hear was one of my dogs barking!!!!

this doesn't take into account any quarantine charges as thankfully they didn't have to go into quarantine for going to Canada.

Last edited by daisymoll; Jan 15th 2003 at 3:44 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2003, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of

Originally posted by andie
thanks, does that include the quarantine and shipping to final destination???? our dog has to go to sydney for the quarantine then on to brissy. our quote just to take her is £700 but with everything added on, it shoots up to £1600. (she only needs a tiny crate, i could fit her in my camera bag!!!!)
Yes that includes everything except blood tests , health certificate and microchipping (he is already done)
Old Jan 15th 2003, 5:27 pm
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

Do a search on a thread I did titled "taking the dog-two grand or 8 pence"

Might be something on there of use.Also,I do 'hits' for 10 pence plus expenses.

BB-dog's best friend
Old Jan 15th 2003, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

hhhhhmmmmmmmmm, interesting site, think its gonna have to be dog pie after all!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 15th 2003, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

pott is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We had a quote in June 02 for our dog - 4yr old lab. Quote includes import permit,worming,insecticide treatment and health exam. oh, and the export certificate. This is to sydney with B.A.

£1206.00

Shipment,etc included.

Insurance available for pets up to 8 yrs old at £3.50 per £100.

They included a list of charges for Canberra -

30 days quarantine $710.00.

This is with a company in Shropshire. Have not had any other quotes and are still undecided as to what to do with the dog. Big guilt trip,- if we leave her, but is it fair to put her through all the travel????

Pott.
Old Jan 16th 2003, 1:05 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by pott
Hi,

We had a quote in June 02 for our dog - 4yr old lab. Quote includes import permit,worming,insecticide treatment and health exam. oh, and the export certificate. This is to sydney with B.A.

£1206.00

Shipment,etc included.

Insurance available for pets up to 8 yrs old at £3.50 per £100.

They included a list of charges for Canberra -

30 days quarantine $710.00.

This is with a company in Shropshire. Have not had any other quotes and are still undecided as to what to do with the dog. Big guilt trip,- if we leave her, but is it fair to put her through all the travel????

Pott.
It sounds about right, it is expensive shipping animals here... I can tell you what I paid from Singapore (which is going to work out cheaper for the traveling costs than the UK)

I think I paid $1000.00 for export transport fees (for two animals), sing dollars, which at the time was nearly the same as AU dollars.

On top of that was rabies injection fees, micro chipping, blood tests.. I can't remember how much this cost, I think it was a couple of hundred AU or Sing dollars. $2 to 3 hundred I think, sing dollars... so it was over a thou au dollars to get them shipped into Australia all up... which isn't reallyrelevant to your costs from the UK as they are bound to be more expensive

Quaranteen in Aus (this was in 1997) in Sydney (Eastern Creek quaranteen station).. cost me around $1500.00 (au) for two so it was $750 au for one cat... which is more than you were quoted for a dog (dogs are usually more expensive than cats) and I paid this in 1997 ... hang on , the quaranteening/housing the animals were around 1200 (650 for one cat), the price was then bumped up by other fees and charges from the station- the quaranteen examinations by a vet, document checks and other fees which they add to your final bill from the quaranteen station in Sydney.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Jan 16th 2003 at 1:15 am.
Old Jan 16th 2003, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

thank for all info everyone, putting the money aside for a mo, does anyone think its really cruel to take her, she is part of the family, kids adore her, shes a nervous little dog anyway, dont like strangers etc, (a miniture pitbull), to those who have taken dogs, do they get really stressed, and what were they like being away from you in quarintine!!!!! we really dont know what to do, its badly stressing us out. :scared: :scared:
Old Jan 16th 2003, 12:34 pm
saoirse

Call me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by andie
thank for all info everyone, putting the money aside for a mo, does anyone think its really cruel to take her, she is part of the family, kids adore her, shes a nervous little dog anyway, dont like strangers etc, (a miniture pitbull), to those who have taken dogs, do they get really stressed, and what were they like being away from you in quarintine!!!!! we really dont know what to do, its badly stressing us out. :scared: :scared:
Take her, it would be much crueler to give her away. Our dog was left in Uk for 3 weeks due to USA terrorist attack, she was in a bad state when she arrived in quarantine but if you can go and visit it really helps. The 30 days goes really fast and now she's having a great life lying in the sun most days. We used Golden Arrow and they were very good, cost about a thousand pounds.
Good luck Call me AL
Old Jun 7th 2003, 9:14 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

What a nightmare! Our dog is 14 and stone deaf! We have had her since she was found by a friend aged 4 weeks in a sealed cardboard box in a grundon bin! She has been with us ever since and has never been in kennels! We don't have anyone we would ask to take her on, so we feel nothing else but to take her. The question is how long will we have her for, if she survives the shock of the journey, then being in kennels and left on her own!