Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking children out of school not in the holidays???

Taking children out of school not in the holidays???

Old Feb 17th 2008, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Ozbound08 has a spectacular aura aboutOzbound08 has a spectacular aura aboutOzbound08 has a spectacular aura about
Question Taking children out of school not in the holidays???

Hi just have a query, I have just discovered this evening that my brother has got engaged!!which is fantastic, however he is planning to get hitched next summer! we are hoping to have emmigrated to Perth within the next couple of months! anyhow my question is what are primary schools like about taking kids out of school when it isn't the school holidays? my brother will try to work it out so that it hits one of there holidays but supposing we want to take an extra week and latch it onto the school holiday? I know English schools have got very strict with this now!! Are they more relaxed over there??? Has anybody had to do this to get back over to England??? Any help much appreciated sorry to have waffled for so long!!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:44 pm
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all
Default Re: Taking children out of school not in the holidays???

Originally Posted by Ozbound08
Hi just have a query, I have just discovered this evening that my brother has got engaged!!which is fantastic, however he is planning to get hitched next summer! we are hoping to have emmigrated to Perth within the next couple of months! anyhow my question is what are primary schools like about taking kids out of school when it isn't the school holidays? my brother will try to work it out so that it hits one of there holidays but supposing we want to take an extra week and latch it onto the school holiday? I know English schools have got very strict with this now!! Are they more relaxed over there??? Has anybody had to do this to get back over to England??? Any help much appreciated sorry to have waffled for so long!!
Hi Folks,

We took our kids out of school for a reccie in Perth he got homework away with him and was well ahead of other pupils when he went back.

Your boy will be going into prep school I'm sure he'll not miss that much.

Carol
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Primary school - no worries. Most schools appreciate the value of travel in the development of the whole child. They may be given a project to do about their trip - like a daily diary or something. High school - could be a bit more tricky but when my son was in year 11 they let him go for 4 weeks (plus the 2 weeks holiday) because as the principle said "travel broadens the mind" even though he was at the beginning of his HSC course. I wouldnt worry about that at all. School attendance is treated in a much more lax fashion here.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

For a wedding I cant even imagine primary schools in england having a problem. I am taking my son out of school for 2 weeks when we return to England in July. I would rather not do it, but feel that retaining his relationships with his extended family is equally as important as schooling at this stage. (He's in Kindy).
Old Feb 21st 2008, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

You shouldn't have any problems. Just write the school a note, let them know you'll get your child to keep a journal and do any other necessary homework for the holiday period and enjoy the time together

I've taken my three children out for holidays every year since they started, for the same week in Oct and no complaints so far. They also get to spend precious time with their cousins and learn all about life on the beach
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

I took mine out last year and will have to do it again this year.The school was happy for us to do it but my two were encouraged to keep a diary of their trip.In our case we went to Ireland in March and it was very cold.Most of their diary recounted how we met up with cousins and went to the pub nearly every day.The teacher said it made for some interesting reading.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Not all schools like parents doing it. My kids went to private schools and it was very much frowned upon. You could always tell when too many parents had taken the kids out of school - it generated stern warnings in the weekly newsletter about disrupting classes, making it harder for the teachers etc.

We did it three times - but we only ever took a week at the end of term (that way the kids don't miss too much) to extend an existing school holiday. I'd never have dared to take any time in the middle of the term.