Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking cats to Oz- How much and is it worth it?

Taking cats to Oz- How much and is it worth it?

Old Apr 6th 2007, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

chiara is just really nicechiara is just really nicechiara is just really nicechiara is just really nicechiara is just really nicechiara is just really nicechiara is just really nicechiara is just really nicechiara is just really nicechiara is just really nicechiara is just really nice
Default Taking cats to Oz- How much and is it worth it?

Hi Guys

I have read about taking dogs to oz and the costs butdoes anybody know the costs for 3 moggys?

I am undecided as to whether to subjct them to the ordeal but it would break my heart to leave them...

Just need to know whether its financially viable or fair?

My cats are 14,8 & 9

Thanks for any help and advice.

Thanks

Claire
Old Apr 6th 2007, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Taking cats to Oz- How much and is it worth it?

I was quoted £1,500 for one cat, but when I posted that here other people said they had paid less - do a search. We have now decided to re-home him - we will be in rented accommodation for at least a year so apart from the cost, I think there might be too much upheaval and basically he will be happier here. We have been lucky though; a couple just accross the road have said they will have him - they love cats and he will be the only one which is really important as he is very timid.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Tracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to all

Hi

We are taking our moggies (2) - Airpets have quoted us £1482 for both. We will also have to pay a release fee at Byford of $800.

THEN we got a quote from Worldwide Pets, as recommended by Crown Relocations - they quoted near on £3000 AND they couldn't confirm that this included the release fee!! Somehow we are gonna go with Airpets - Heard excellant reviews and I have no worries about their flights - Cats sleep alot, so I reckon they won't even notice their journey - Prob tire them out even more

Tracey & Rog
Old Apr 6th 2007, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

We are in the same situation with our cat. She is only 1 1/2 and is very much loved by all Eldest daughter originally claimed she would not come unless the cat could too.

Haven't got far enough in the process to get quotes for taking her but am kind of concerned that it is not fair to subject her to the flight / 30 days in quarantine / ? house moves until we settle / buy and also the change in climate. She loves being outdoors and I think that the flight / quarantine may be very distressing.

Mother in law has offered to have her but it is certainly going to be hard if we decide to say goodbye to her
Old Apr 6th 2007, 7:49 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

We are hoping to go in around 7-8 weeks and i still cant decide whether to take my cat or not!!!!! I love her to bits but is it fair to put her through all the upheaval????

Trouble is i have 4 people offering to have her and now i need to decide who to leave her with!!!!!! C x
Old Apr 6th 2007, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

We brought our 4 cats, two aged 8 and two aged 15.
We were worried about the older ones but they were all fine, coped with it all brilliantly, flights, quarantine, the lot.
We used airpets.
Would not have left them behind, it's well worth bringing them if you really love them, especially when you have had them for years and they are your family.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kitty4
We brought our 4 cats, two aged 8 and two aged 15.
We were worried about the older ones but they were all fine, coped with it all brilliantly, flights, quarantine, the lot.
We used airpets.
Would not have left them behind, it's well worth bringing them if you really love them, especially when you have had them for years and they are your family.
We used golden arrow and we paid approx 600 pounds for her then we had to pay quaratine fees. Never heard of a release fee.......

And yes its worth it they are family (might be a bit hard for the old one though maybe rehome him/her). We did have to leave one ourselves because we new he wouldnt cope, but a good freind took him on and we visited him last year and he is happy as larry.

Jo
Old Apr 6th 2007, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chiara
Hi Guys

I have read about taking dogs to oz and the costs butdoes anybody know the costs for 3 moggys?

I am undecided as to whether to subjct them to the ordeal but it would break my heart to leave them...

My cats are 14,8 & 9

Thanks

Claire
We used airpets for our 2 cats aged 9. The cost was just over £1,000. you have to have them chipped and vacinated. Airpets was excellent. They were really well looked after. There is no quarantine holding in Brisbane and they had to stay in Sydney again this was excellent and you can ring up and ask about your animals and the staff were wonderful. The cats had a second flight from Sydney to Rockhampton. We kept them inside for 2 weeks Jasper was wobbly on his feet for a few days but fine after that.

It is difficult when it's your animals but it was worth it for us. Hope it all goes well.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 10:42 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

We brought our three cats aged 15, 6 and 5. Due to the long wait for quarantine at Perth we had to leave them in a cattery in the UK for 2 months whilst we came over here.

By the time they flew out we'd bought a house and moved in.

We went to see them at Byford as soon as they arrived and they were absolutely fine. No trauma at all.

Their four weeks flew by as the staff at Byford are just lovely.

Don't worry, they'll be fine. Ours have been out of quarantine for 4 months and are quite happy.

Just make sure you start the process early as there was a long (3 month) wait when we started ours last summer.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

chiara is just really nicechiara is just really nicechiara is just really nicechiara is just really nicechiara is just really nicechiara is just really nicechiara is just really nicechiara is just really nicechiara is just really nicechiara is just really nicechiara is just really nice

Thanks everyboby for your input.

It is so hard trying to weigh up whether to take the cats, or deciding which ones to take.

They are part of our family and much as they do our heads in every now and again I woulldn't be without them!!

Cheers

Claire
Old Apr 8th 2007, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

Keebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura about

Hi Guys

My cats are 14,8 & 9

Thanks

Claire
Hi Claire,

We bought our 2 6yr old cats, we used Golden Arrow based in Shropshire - excellent service.
We then used Dog Tainers from Sydney to Brisbane - once again excellent service.

In UK they used to go outside, here they do not, currently they are house cats, in our new place we're having an area at the side of the house netted off with a cat door in the Crimsafe door- they can't get out, nothing can get in :-)

They're family at the end of the day so here they are. They have adapted fine, however, would still love to get outside!

Mrs Keebs.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 11:20 am
Just Joined

mercmad is an unknown quantity at this point

Aussies hate cats with a vengence,thats why you can see plenty of Dogs and other animals on Vet sahows on the telly,but raely cats.It's all to do with the Feral cat antipropaganda and cats eating what little bird life there is here.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 7:14 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mercmad
Aussies hate cats with a vengence,thats why you can see plenty of Dogs and other animals on Vet sahows on the telly,but raely cats.It's all to do with the Feral cat antipropaganda and cats eating what little bird life there is here.
Are you trying to say its safer to leave our cats at home????!!! C x
Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Keebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by shiels
Are you trying to say its safer to leave our cats at home????!!! C x
Claire,

Just to put your mind at rest, from my experience Aussies do not hate cats, just in the court we live in both neighbours have 2 cats each, and further down the court are a vew more cats, all allowed to roam free.

When we first got here ours went out during the day and we kept them in at night.

I could suggest that people should be more concerned about the millions of Cane Toads, that Australia introduced rather than immigrant cats!

Keebs
Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

My cats are 14,8 & 9

Thanks

Claire

hi claire,
we've got a cat that we love, especially our daughter. but unfortunatly, we can't take her. we're going to qld and there are too many issues with that and she's a nervous cat anyway so i think it would scar her for life getting over there.
we're looking for a nice old lady that will give her plenty of tlc. we're even going to advertise locally so we don't have to move her far (we're prob dreaming there though - but worth a try!!)

it will be very sad though

s x