Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

taking cat to Oz

taking cat to Oz

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

struth is on a distinguished road
Default taking cat to Oz

has anyone any info regarding taking a cat to Australia with you, we are just starting to pull together info for a spouse visa but darling daughter refuses to participate unless our ageing cat comes too.
any info gratefully received.
thank you
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: taking cat to Oz

Our vet told us it would cost us approximately £1,500 to ship the cat. He is being rehomed! On a slightly less flippant note, our 8 year old son is the one most attached to the cat. We spoke to him about the fact that local wildlife and cats aren't always compatible and that cats are not necessarily welcome in Australia for that reason. We also played up the quarentine thing a bit. He thought about it and accepted that although he would be sad, it would be better for the cat to stay here. Just as well really as although I might have given in, OH was adamant that the cat wasn't getting a more expensive ticket than us!
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:03 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
Our vet told us it would cost us approximately £1,500 to ship the cat. He is being rehomed! On a slightly less flippant note, our 8 year old son is the one most attached to the cat. We spoke to him about the fact that local wildlife and cats aren't always compatible and that cats are not necessarily welcome in Australia for that reason. We also played up the quarentine thing a bit. He thought about it and accepted that although he would be sad, it would be better for the cat to stay here. Just as well really as although I might have given in, OH was adamant that the cat wasn't getting a more expensive ticket than us!

that figure is far to much,we are paying that for two...its more like £1000 for one pussy....

ast
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 7:27 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
that figure is far to much,we are paying that for two...its more like £1000 for one pussy....

ast
Yup, I agree. We're paying sround £1600 for 2 (plus quarantine costs). We're using Pet Travel Services in Dunfermilne who were recommended to us by a couple of people on here.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 7:42 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
Yup, I agree. We're paying sround £1600 for 2 (plus quarantine costs). We're using Pet Travel Services in Dunfermilne who were recommended to us by a couple of people on here.
hercks,i was quoted £1500 all in for two cats,,
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

thanks for the info, i shall look into pet travel services and ponder over the cost and try to weigh up which option would be best, she is a bit of a house cat anyway so the wildlife shouldn't affect her, however, on the other hand she is getting on, probably about 10/11 and i don't know if she would cope with the upheaval
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 8:40 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by struth
thanks for the info, i shall look into pet travel services and ponder over the cost and try to weigh up which option would be best, she is a bit of a house cat anyway so the wildlife shouldn't affect her, however, on the other hand she is getting on, probably about 10/11 and i don't know if she would cope with the upheaval
We brought our 15 year old cat and she's just fine. Mainly a house cat but she also ventures into the garden but not out of it. Not at all stressed by the flight or by quarantine.

One thing I'd stress is start the proces asap as there is a long waiting list at Perth quarantine. Of course if you're not coming to Perth, that's irrelevant!
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

thanks sunshine girl,
another question - how long do they stay in quarantine? and do they need any jags etc before they are allowed to travel?
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:29 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

I am leaving my darling cat behind also. I simply can't put her through the whole trauma of being in a box for so long. She totally freaks out when she is in a cat box or anthing like that. Moving from London to the North she cried all the way here and and was totally freaked out. She does it even when we go to the vets.

I have explained the negatives of taking her with us and he has learnt to accpet it.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Do they have to go into quarantine at Brisbane? I'd heard that they don't????????

Also who do you reccommend going with? We're not sure about our cat Fred. He's about 6 yrs old and we love him to bits but not sure whether he'd be better off being rehomed. We've also got a dog and can't afford to take both so need to make a decision whether it's one, both or none!!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 7:47 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stumpysean
Do they have to go into quarantine at Brisbane? I'd heard that they don't????????

Also who do you reccommend going with? We're not sure about our cat Fred. He's about 6 yrs old and we love him to bits but not sure whether he'd be better off being rehomed. We've also got a dog and can't afford to take both so need to make a decision whether it's one, both or none!!!!
Quarantine is for 30 days and the closest one to Brisbane is Sydney. We are taking our dog and maybe the cat (just cant decide about her). We are using Golden Arrow and there quote for the dog and the cat is £2238 plus kennel fees at Sydney, which are about $1000. C x