Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking a cat to Australia ?

Taking a cat to Australia ?

Old Jan 15th 2008, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

katamina will become famous soon enoughkatamina will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Taking a cat to Australia ?

Apparently I have to get a cattery license in Qld as I have over 3 - wahey! another dream come true
Old Jan 15th 2008, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

fraymont66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rob12paws
We brought our two cats with us, as well as our 18mo German Shepherd, in August 2005. The cats are 14 this year, so we were undecided for a while about the stress of the trip, especially since ours couldn't manage a 6-mile trip to the vets in the UK without serious distress. They did 3 weeks in kennels before shipping out, then 30 days quarantine at Byford, then a further 3 weeks in another boarding kennel while we found a rental. The problem there was the dog, not the cats.

They stayed together in a run, and although they had lost a fair amount of weight by the time we picked them up due to diarrhoea, they were fine again within a few days of coming home - we think this was the stress and just general food fussiness! They are indoor cats, so no worries about local wildlife, although one still pulls the legs off spiders!! She's at more risk from chewing electrical cables, I think!

They have settled really well and on the plus side, none of the pets gets travel sick any more. Still play each day, chase each other, bask in the sun...

I have this idea in my head - probably wrong - that you are limited to a certain number of cats in one household - thought it was three but check it out anyway. I may be dreaming it. Certainly our rental has a limit - no more pets while we're here. But generally speaking, in our search for rentals we were told that cats aren't a problem at all. Daft that - our two have a far greater potential for causing damage than the dog. But then again, your pet bond covers any damage so that should ease everyone's mind.

Good luck - we used Airpets and I'd recommend highly.

r12p
Hi

Thanks for the reply, i will keep this in mind when/if the times comes. It will be the biggest challenge of our lives just getting a visa !
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

DandJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fraymont66
Hi

Thanks for the reply, i will keep this in mind when/if the times comes. It will be the biggest challenge of our lives just getting a visa !
We have been deliberating over taking the cat. He is 13 years old, but seems to be in very good health. We have moved twice before and he settled really well. We certainly couldn't just leave him with anyone and I think we would struggle to find a good home considering his age. Besides our 2 kids would really miss him.

So we have decided today that he is comming! Just one more thing to consider!

Just waiting for visa now, PC's and Meds submitted last week!

Anyone know what it would cost to ship a cat with jabs and all?

cheers
Old Jan 15th 2008, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Hi

I think around £1300-£1500 including quarantine ?
Old Jan 15th 2008, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rob12paws
W

I have this idea in my head - probably wrong - that you are limited to a certain number of cats in one household - thought it was three but check it out anyway. I may be dreaming it. Certainly our rental has a limit - no more pets while we're here. But generally speaking, in our search for rentals we were told that cats aren't a problem at all.

Good luck - we used Airpets and I'd recommend highly.

r12p
Melbourne area has a limit on 2 cats per household without a special license and i read last week in the West Australian that they were thinking of doing something similar in parts of Perth... though i don't think there are any rules yet..
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Do remember that where you decide to live will determine what life is like for your cat. We live on the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria and here there is a 24 hour curfew on cats!!!

In other words your cat MUST be kept inside the whole time or MUST at least be confined to your property. This is very difficult to achieve unless you have your garden enclosed by cat proof netting which can be very ugly.

If your cat is found outside then it will be taken to the pound and will cost a fortune to get back. You really don't see to many cats around outside here for that reason.

I am a vet nurse and we still see a lot of people who keep cats, but do think about whether you're prepared for keeping them in. They really are a menace to wildlife here we get possums in every day that have been had by cats, and birds and lizards too. People still think that their one cat won't make a difference but times that by the millions of cats in Australia, if each cat only takes one possum or bird a year, (some hope!!, because they are so easy to catch here, its more like one a day for some cats), then thats several million lost native animals.

If you live in a rural area and think that you can get away with it remember the snakes, if your cat gets bitten by one and believe me we see a lot of dogs and cats especially in the summer that do. Then expect a bill running into 1000's of $, that is if they survive and theres no guarantee.

In short KEEP THEM INSIDE.

We always had cats in the UK and I do miss not having one here but made the decision that this isn't really cat country, so we have our 2 dogs now instead. It has to be a personal decision but make it knowing what its like here. It is also true that not everyone here approves of cats. They also have to be registered with the council, neutered and microchipped.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

How do you find out what restrictions there are for pets? Is there a website? We are looking at Sydney, any ideas of restrictions around there? We only have two cats but my brother in law and his wife have a whole menagerie they want to take along if they go
Old Jan 16th 2008, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

quick question- does anyone have contract details for Golden Arrow, I've heard them reccomended often on here but can't get a quote as I can't find a website for them. Google is letting me down for once.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:18 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smartinis
Do remember that where you decide to live will determine what life is like for your cat. We live on the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria and here there is a 24 hour curfew on cats!!!

In other words your cat MUST be kept inside the whole time or MUST at least be confined to your property. This is very difficult to achieve unless you have your garden enclosed by cat proof netting which can be very ugly.

If your cat is found outside then it will be taken to the pound and will cost a fortune to get back. You really don't see to many cats around outside here for that reason.

I am a vet nurse and we still see a lot of people who keep cats, but do think about whether you're prepared for keeping them in. They really are a menace to wildlife here we get possums in every day that have been had by cats, and birds and lizards too. People still think that their one cat won't make a difference but times that by the millions of cats in Australia, if each cat only takes one possum or bird a year, (some hope!!, because they are so easy to catch here, its more like one a day for some cats), then thats several million lost native animals.

If you live in a rural area and think that you can get away with it remember the snakes, if your cat gets bitten by one and believe me we see a lot of dogs and cats especially in the summer that do. Then expect a bill running into 1000's of $, that is if they survive and theres no guarantee.

In short KEEP THEM INSIDE.

We always had cats in the UK and I do miss not having one here but made the decision that this isn't really cat country, so we have our 2 dogs now instead. It has to be a personal decision but make it knowing what its like here. It is also true that not everyone here approves of cats. They also have to be registered with the council, neutered and microchipped.

Excellent post.

So many people think that their cat/cats will not make a difference to wildlife or that their cat is too lazy to hunt.

If everyone thinks that their one cat/cats wont make a difference to the wildlife and each one of those cats kills something then it is a big difference indeed when you consider the reproductive prospects of the animals concerned.

My cat has always been an indoor cat and will remain one and even if he wasnt in the UK, he would be in Australia.

People may think it is cruel to keep their cats inside but as they are not indigenous to Australia, with some owners not having any regard or consideration for the local wildlife and the impact cats can have on it, that is far more cruel than keeping your cat inside the house.

It has been said on here before that dogs do as much damage as cats, not something I believe to be honest because the domestic dog can be controlled on a leash, cats come and go as they please and no matter how angelic and well behaved they are in front of their owners, what they get up to out of sight cannot be controlled.

I would be interested in the opinions of people that see nothing wrong in their cats hunting Aussie wildlife and why they think it is acceptable?

Karma for your post Smartinis
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:46 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think anybody on this thread so far has said they "see nothing wrong in their cats hunting Aussie wildlife".

Speaking for myself only, well I already live in a country with plenty of wildlife and chose the house we live in to suit my cats - in a very urban area to minimise the risk of snakes, where they can get fresh air but not get into the street, etc.

I fully intend to do likewise anywhere else we end up, however much hassle it causes me.

They were also neutered and chipped as soon as they were old enough, and had their rabies jabs every year too.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 2:00 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
I don't think anybody on this thread so far has said they "see nothing wrong in their cats hunting Aussie wildlife". .
I didnt mean this thread, it was mentioned on at least one other thread a while ago.

Many people look on it as nature or feel that their cats are no worse than dogs for hunting wildlife.

I just thought a very good point was made about confining cats to the house or at least cat proofing the garden.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Millie11 will become famous soon enough

Hi, Our two cats (there used to be 3 but one 11 year old died suddenly of cancer) have moved at least every second year since they were born. The oldest, now 14, have even been through half a years quarantine (Germany - UK). Just want to say that most cats move without a problem. They do not like the transport and obviously prefer home to cattery. But they have always been fine. So please don't worry to much about the cats.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Lots of good points raised here and I will refer to it when/if we move.I hadn't thought about keeping my cats indoors, however they are getting older and dont bother too much about going out a lot anyway.
I can't imagine a life without cats though, so that's something else to add to the ponder list!
Old Jan 16th 2008, 7:07 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

We looked into taking our two, got quotes of around £1200 plus quarantine.

In the end, we decided against it in case things didn't work out. It was a lot to put them through so we re-homed them. It killed us to do it at the time, but although it still makes me sad to think about it, i know we've done the right thing by them.

We've been round to see them both since (2 different homes) and they've settled right in, it's as if we never existed.

The decision is yours at the end of the day, but we're glad now it's just another thing we haven't got to worry about..... there's enough of that to do already!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

posh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by dave7370
We looked into taking our two, got quotes of around £1200 plus quarantine.

In the end, we decided against it in case things didn't work out. It was a lot to put them through so we re-homed them. It killed us to do it at the time, but although it still makes me sad to think about it, i know we've done the right thing by them.

We've been round to see them both since (2 different homes) and they've settled right in, it's as if we never existed.

The decision is yours at the end of the day, but we're glad now it's just another thing we haven't got to worry about..... there's enough of that to do already!
how did u go about re-housing ur cats my cat is nearly 9 and i am in two mids as to take her but not sure if i could rehouse her with her age. will prob end up taking her,

quite shocked bout the mornington curfew !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats were we are going !!!!!!!!!! she is a house cat though i have to kick her out really and she never goes further than our shed.lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.