Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking cars/motorbikes to Oz (Is it worth it?)

Taking cars/motorbikes to Oz (Is it worth it?)

Old Nov 7th 2004, 4:20 pm
Cheeky

Question Taking cars/motorbikes to Oz (Is it worth it?)

Hi everyone!

We are getting to the stage now were we are discussing what to take or not when we finally make the move to Oz. Todays topic was whether to take the car and motorbike.......

We have been recommended (by family already out there) to take our car with us because 2nd hand cars are so expensive to buy in Oz. I am reluctant to do this due to the hassel and expense and Im wondering is it worth it in the end? Ive done a search on the forum, as this subject has obviously come up alot in the past and concensus of opinion indicates it isnt such a good idea due to the import duty, costs, etc. So has anyone actually done it and said 'Yes its worth it?' Oh and BTW we only have a 4yr old VW golf tdi SE so its nothing special worth approx £7000 in UK.

Also the other issue we have is my hubbys beloved motorbike. It is a sportsbike, would it be worth taking it? It is 2yr old suzuki 600 gixer.
I hear the Oz police are magnetically drawn to people on sportsbikes..... Also have to think about the practicalities, as most bikers know its not the most comfortable riding position. Would it be best to sell it in the Uk and buy something in Oz a little more practical and less attractive to the police?!

(I apologise if its been done before and I have somehow missed it in my search!!!! )

Any help and advice greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Cheeky

Old Nov 7th 2004, 6:34 pm
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking cars/motorbikes to Oz (Is it worth it?)

Originally Posted by Cheeky
Hi everyone!

We are getting to the stage now were we are discussing what to take or not when we finally make the move to Oz. Todays topic was whether to take the car and motorbike.......

We have been recommended (by family already out there) to take our car with us because 2nd hand cars are so expensive to buy in Oz. I am reluctant to do this due to the hassel and expense and Im wondering is it worth it in the end? Ive done a search on the forum, as this subject has obviously come up alot in the past and concensus of opinion indicates it isnt such a good idea due to the import duty, costs, etc. So has anyone actually done it and said 'Yes its worth it?' Oh and BTW we only have a 4yr old VW golf tdi SE so its nothing special worth approx £7000 in UK.

Also the other issue we have is my hubbys beloved motorbike. It is a sportsbike, would it be worth taking it? It is 2yr old suzuki 600 gixer.
I hear the Oz police are magnetically drawn to people on sportsbikes..... Also have to think about the practicalities, as most bikers know its not the most comfortable riding position. Would it be best to sell it in the Uk and buy something in Oz a little more practical and less attractive to the police?!

(I apologise if its been done before and I have somehow missed it in my search!!!! )

Any help and advice greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Cheeky
Hi Cheeky

Personally, we aren't takin ours we have a brand new Citroen Xsara picasso exlusive worth about 9k cos of depreciation. To be honest it isnt wortn the mither. We have done various searches and you can get a brand new nissan pulsar for about £8000. Do a search on www.ninemsn.com.au for motorcars and bikes

Ur right about the bike a friend of a friend of ours got 2 speeding fines cos there ar3e cameras everywhere..

It is yr choice at the end of the day u could fit the bike in the container. But don't forget apparently everything that goes into your container has to be dirt and grease free. Also what colour is it if its black its definitely not a good idea because of the sun. They advise to have a white or light colour car.

Good luck with yr decision
Ang
Old Nov 7th 2004, 6:59 pm
Cheeky

Thanks Ang for the reply!

Im not bothered about taking the car but my hubby was thinking it maybe a good idea. I personally dont want the hassel!! Not bothered about having a new car when we go to Oz we would be happy with an old 'jaloppy' (bangor!) but it appears its not always cost effective to buy an older car. I dont want to spend oodles of cash on a car I would prefer to put the money into buying a house. But need transport!!!

As for the bike its all colours actually, predominantly blue, hard to describe really!!! Anyway we shall see, not sure what the criteria is for taking motorbikes but would imagine its simaler to taking a car really not sure!

Anyway thank you so much for the website I will take a peek and let you know!! Cheers!!

Also, (sorry, off topic here) but you know that email you sent me (re the meet) I cant open the attachment, prob something Ive done!! Please could you send it me again when you get a mo!

Thankyou!

Cheeky

Old Nov 7th 2004, 7:38 pm
Madwoman

katyjoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Im not bothered about taking the car but my hubby was thinking it maybe a good idea. I personally dont want the hassel!! Not bothered about having a new car when we go to Oz we would be happy with an old 'jaloppy' (bangor!) but it appears its not always cost effective to buy an older car. I dont want to spend oodles of cash on a car I would prefer to put the money into buying a house. But need transport!!!

As for the bike its all colours actually, predominantly blue, hard to describe really!!! Anyway we shall see, not sure what the criteria is for taking motorbikes but would imagine its simaler to taking a car really not sure!

Anyway thank you so much for the website I will take a peek and let you know!! Cheers!!

Also, (sorry, off topic here) but you know that email you sent me (re the meet) I cant open the attachment, prob something Ive done!! Please could you send it me again when you get a mo!

Thankyou!

Cheeky
Hiya Cheeky

We are taking our car but it is a classic car, ford sierra Cosworth and my husbands baby. I have left everything to him to sort. We can import it as it is over 15 yrs old. In order to import a car you have to either of owned it for 12 months or it be over 15 yrs old. I don't really know the ins and outs of everything but it does seem to complicated to me

We have received the import permit the other day and hubby is dead excited but he seems to spend most his time under the bonnet getting it sorted for the australian weather.

Good luck in your decision and all the best

Kate and Stu
Old Nov 7th 2004, 8:26 pm
Cheeky

Hi Kate!

Thanks for the reply!

Ok, we have owned the car for 2 yrs and the bike for 18mths so thats a start.

So would we not have to pay duty on them then?

It seems so complicated!

Thanks again! And good luck when you take yours!

Cheeky

Originally Posted by katyjoy
Hiya Cheeky

We are taking our car but it is a classic car, ford sierra Cosworth and my husbands baby. I have left everything to him to sort. We can import it as it is over 15 yrs old. In order to import a car you have to either of owned it for 12 months or it be over 15 yrs old. I don't really know the ins and outs of everything but it does seem to complicated to me

We have received the import permit the other day and hubby is dead excited but he seems to spend most his time under the bonnet getting it sorted for the australian weather.

Good luck in your decision and all the best

Kate and Stu

Old Nov 7th 2004, 8:43 pm
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou!

Cheeky
Hi Cheeky

Apparently if you save the document to your desktop and then right click on it and say open with WORD it will open up. If not PM me with your address and I will send you one in the post.
It is because we have Microsoft works on the new pc and not Office. We have had the same problems with sending Rich's cv out to Oz.

Let me know
Ang
Old Nov 7th 2004, 8:48 pm
Cheeky

Cheers Ang!!

I will give it a go, any probs I will do what you said!

Im hopeless with puters!

Thanks v. much,
Cheeky

Originally Posted by Rich and Angie
Hi Cheeky

Apparently if you save the document to your desktop and then right click on it and say open with WORD it will open up. If not PM me with your address and I will send you one in the post.
It is because we have Microsoft works on the new pc and not Office. We have had the same problems with sending Rich's cv out to Oz.

Let me know
Ang