Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking a car from port to home

Taking a car from port to home

Old Jan 31st 2011, 11:00 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taking a car from port to home

Some friends of mine from South Africa who have settled in Canberra have been by told by Canberra Shopfront that their car which has been shipped to Sydney can (on the understanding that it's being taken there for ACT registration) can be legally driven on it's South African plates from the port of Sydney to Canberra. Is this true? It doesn't sound right to me
Old Jan 31st 2011, 11:19 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking a car from port to home

I saw a car on UK plates in Melbourne once.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Jarvl will become famous soon enoughJarvl will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by paulry
Some friends of mine from South Africa who have settled in Canberra have been by told by Canberra Shopfront that their car which has been shipped to Sydney can (on the understanding that it's being taken there for ACT registration) can be legally driven on it's South African plates from the port of Sydney to Canberra. Is this true? It doesn't sound right to me
We imported my car 6 years ago, it had to be brought from the port on a trailer, it was delivered to where they did the compliancy checks. After the compliancy check,the compliancy guys lent me a reg plate to drive it home. When the compliancy plates came through, I was then allowed to drive it on the UK plates to have the roadworthy done (had to arrange the third party insurance before taking it to roadworthy), once roadworthy passed I could drive it straight to QLD transport to get registration sorted.
Obviously this is QLD, may be different in other States. This took me numerous phone calls between QLD transport etc to sort out. I later was looking through the road rules book, and in there it stated exactly what you need to do...
Old Jan 31st 2011, 12:01 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jarvl
We imported my car 6 years ago, it had to be brought from the port on a trailer, it was delivered to where they did the compliancy checks. After the compliancy check,the compliancy guys lent me a reg plate to drive it home. When the compliancy plates came through, I was then allowed to drive it on the UK plates to have the roadworthy done (had to arrange the third party insurance before taking it to roadworthy), once roadworthy passed I could drive it straight to QLD transport to get registration sorted.
Obviously this is QLD, may be different in other States. This took me numerous phone calls between QLD transport etc to sort out. I later was looking through the road rules book, and in there it stated exactly what you need to do...
That fits with what I would have logically thought it to be. It sounds like a bit of a misunderstanding at the shopfront. Thanks for your help