Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking a car back to England - Any advice

Taking a car back to England - Any advice

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

SUPERWOMAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking a car back to England - Any advice

Has anyone taken a vehicle back to England? We bought a brand new Holden Viva on 1st May 2007. We are returning to UK in April 08 and can't make our minds up as to whether we should take the car home or sell it here before we leave. Whilst it will cost us money to ship home, we will lose money by selling it so we want to work out which course of action will be most cost effective. It cost $19000 dollars to buy.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 12:26 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking a car back to England - Any advice

Originally Posted by SUPERWOMAN
Has anyone taken a vehicle back to England? We bought a brand new Holden Viva on 1st May 2007. We are returning to UK in April 08 and can't make our minds up as to whether we should take the car home or sell it here before we leave. Whilst it will cost us money to ship home, we will lose money by selling it so we want to work out which course of action will be most cost effective. It cost $19000 dollars to buy.
Probably not worth it. Besides the cost of shipping it, it'll need to be modified to be street legal in the UK (speedo etc).
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SUPERWOMAN
Plus the Viva is an Oz model only (I believe) therefore problems with parts, insurance etc once arrived, so you'll be spending money shipping a car to a country where it isn't available and where the subsequent resale price will be even lower than here.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 4:49 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

If it was me I would definately sell it here as you may lose a lot more money if you took it back to the UK because.........

a) the price of the car will naturally depriciate wherever it is (and you've paid extra to ship it!)

b) if anything happened to it in the container that could cost you too, it's happened........

c)It was $19000 you could sell it and buy a different car in the Uk with no fuss about parts or other mechanical stuff that's way over my head........

For me it would be a 'nope', i'd sell it here as apparantly 2nd hand cars hold their value better........ it's true, or maybe we were ripped off with ours!

Good luck with what you choose

Carmel
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

warponydestroyer will become famous soon enoughwarponydestroyer will become famous soon enough

My recommendation would be sell in Oz