British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Taking car (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/taking-car-584178/)

scrappyhappy8 Jan 14th 2009 9:11 am

Taking car

While waiting for our visa our car decided enough was enough and died on us.
we then purchased another one (chrysler voyager) in top clas condition. The problem is the day after getting the car our visa was approved!!!!
Looking at the same car same age in Australia we are looking at $12000 ,no where near what we paid here for it.
I know there is a lot of expense involved in taking a car but I will still save a lot of money and have a decent car in Perth if I can get it there.
The problem I have is I would have to have had and used the car a year before going OZ but I go next Saturday.
As the car is regestered in my name before the visa was approved can I leave it here in storage untill the qualifying period and ship it, and how do I get around not having used it?
Is there a way this can be done, as cars are so expensive there and I will never own one in this condition again?
I know about the import duties but I need to know of ways of shipping this and is there any other way around it and get it there sooner.

I hope this makes sense.
Paul:confused:

bigAPE Jan 14th 2009 10:24 am

Re: Taking car

Originally Posted by scrappyhappy8 (Post 7165744)
While waiting for our visa our car decided enough was enough and died on us.
we then purchased another one (chrysler voyager) in top clas condition. The problem is the day after getting the car our visa was approved!!!!
Looking at the same car same age in Australia we are looking at $12000 ,no where near what we paid here for it.
I know there is a lot of expense involved in taking a car but I will still save a lot of money and have a decent car in Perth if I can get it there.
The problem I have is I would have to have had and used the car a year before going OZ but I go next Saturday.
As the car is regestered in my name before the visa was approved can I leave it here in storage untill the qualifying period and ship it, and how do I get around not having used it?
Is there a way this can be done, as cars are so expensive there and I will never own one in this condition again?
I know about the import duties but I need to know of ways of shipping this and is there any other way around it and get it there sooner.

No, that is not allowed.

You must have owned the vehicle and been in the same country with it and prove it with documentation including a copy of your entire passport and a letter explaining each and every day you have been outside of the country since purchase. The laws are in place to stop exactly what you are suggesting.

More information on the process can be found in the article I wrote on this a while back.

You're also making an assumption that it will be cheaper to import. Try using the Excel in that article and see if the costs work out in your favour, they generally don't. The Australian government purposely make it expensive and complex to import personally.

Hope this helps

Al

Mike-S Jan 14th 2009 11:04 am

bigAPE, that's a fantastically useful wiki you've put together there, has answered a load of questions I have at the moment. :thumbup:

I'm currently working on a bid with my company in Sydney (head back to Sydney from the UK on Friday, can't wait to escape this cold weather !) and should we be successful and win the project then we'll be on our way out to Sydney for a few years. Our cars in the UK are likely to cause us a financial headache given the 'credit crunch' so I've been looking into bringing them with us (my Range Rover, wife's A4 Cab & an old classic). From your wiki I think I'll just sell the Rangey & A4 rather than bring them with us and see if work will cover some of the loss we're likely to make. The classic car will come with us eventually, it's an old family heirloom.

scrappyhappy8 Jan 14th 2009 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by bigAPE (Post 7166000)
No, that is not allowed.

You must have owned the vehicle and been in the same country with it and prove it with documentation including a copy of your entire passport and a letter explaining each and every day you have been outside of the country since purchase. The laws are in place to stop exactly what you are suggesting.

More information on the process can be found in the article I wrote on this a while back.

You're also making an assumption that it will be cheaper to import. Try using the Excel in that article and see if the costs work out in your favour, they generally don't. The Australian government purposely make it expensive and complex to import personally.

Hope this helps

Al

thanks for the reply and it's clear I should just get rid of it.