Taking Baby!

Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Taking Baby!

Originally Posted by MrCro
I'm still keen to hear how young people travelled with new born babies (SIA say 7 day minimum and don't allow at all born within 48 hours (which seems strange as surely you could not get a passport that quick??)

This was SIA response to taking prams on board etc:-

Dear Mr. Crowther,

Kindly note, if your pram is fully collapsible, then you will be able to take it with you all the way to the aircraft door, where it will be handed over to the gate check-in staff to be placed in the hold of the aircraft. Furthermore, you may also have the pram made available for use during your transit in Singapore. Please inform the check-in staff at the time of your check-in if you plan to do this, and they will tag the pram accordingly. Otherwise, it will be made available directly at your final destination.

Also, when travelling with an infant (below 2 years) not occupying a seat, you are permitted to check-in one infant item, like a pram or car seat, free of charge over and above the normal baggage allowance. There will not be any restriction on the size or weight of the pram, if you are checking it in as the one free infant that you are permitted.

Thank you for choosing Singapore Airlines.

Yours Sincerely,

SIA UK
We took a 9 month old and had a double buggy (for the space more than anything although also had a 2 and 4 year old). SIA took it without issue. They also took two of our car seats (all boxed up by us) in the hold for free and NOT as part of our allowance.

We bought a third one over here.

I'm in the school that the car seats were perfectly satisfactory in the UK and thus will be here. I know the issues and thus know my stance on the matter. It does help though that we bought ISOFIX seats with us, and I was keen to use what I consider to be the best system out there. Had they not been so expensive ISOFIX I may well have left - who knows.

I know others disagree and that's fair enough, but they are my seats, my kids and I want the best that I have for them.

And regardless of the rules, having seen numerous kids travelling in cars without seats at all, anything is better than nothing and the parents seem to a) think it ok and b) get away with it!

Edited to add: ISOFIX is present in some cars in Australia - mainly European and Japanese cars. They are not present in Australian-spec designed or built cars.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

We travelled with our son at 10 weeks, 4 months, 6 months, 7 months, 8 months and then emigrated when he was 1. So much easier to do when they are not mobile. Great when you are breastfeeding.

Its still ok when they are older but you just have to take more stuff with you plus if like my son he was able to walk at 10 months old you won't get anytime to yourself making any longhaul flight doubly tiring.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:41 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Hi I travelled with lots of stuff as well and a very young baby, they will take the buggy off you at check in esp with all the parts make sure you can tie them together or may be get a cover for the seat unit and carry cot .

then get a baby carrier best way to carry the baby in airports, your hands are free youll be caring bags with all the bits and pieces you need we found this so handy I would have been lost with out it. esp as we had 3 other little ones to worry about as well.

good luck
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

goingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nice

when we went our daughter was just over a year old and could walk, but we took a cheap push chair on that folds down small. it was great i took a smallholdall strap and attached it to the the pushchair that way i could just fold it up and carry it over my shoulder to customs in hongkong while carry hand lugage.

as it was small virgin stored it on board in a locker so it was ready as we left the plane.

baby formula in cartons made the trip easy.

virgin blue did foget to put it on flight from sydney to brisbane so the couriered it to coomer.

so frieght the large one in the holdand get a cheap small one there were so many waiting for and struggling with bulky pushchairs getting a bit worked up.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

goingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nice

oh yes on the way back virgin blue wanted to place the pushchair in the hold for the complete trip back (not available for stoppover). also they didn't want to allow the baby hand lugage 10kg without excess being paid 26Au$ (as they don't have a baby lugage allowance) until i pointed out the allowance was on the the ticket
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

I was lucky and found no issues with breast feeding on the flights. We used a sling to carry the baby around in and it was brilliant as we then had 2 hands free to carry other stuff/hold 4 year old's hand!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:56 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by itigo
I was lucky and found no issues with breast feeding on the flights. We used a sling to carry the baby around in and it was brilliant as we then had 2 hands free to carry other stuff/hold 4 year old's hand!
I agree, the only prob I had was airline did not put us close to each other DH and 3 boys were a couple of seats back, they put a nice man beside me which no offence to him I did not feel comfortable breastfeeding in front of and as I was on the inside I would have had to crawl by him LOL (two seats at the window with a bassinet for baby so not much room) there was another girl with a baby around the same age breastfeeding as well she had a couple sitting beside her so I asked we all swap seats and thank fully they agreed, meant they got to sit away from two babies and I could relax and so did the other mum LOL worked out great actually sure we confused the staff though!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:38 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I just went to Thailand with a double mountain buggy (we call it the truck because its huge and the best thing ever). Took it to the plane, the guy nearly killed himself getting it down to the hold

Car seats - I have the platinum retractor safe and sound - its just a uk car seat repackaged with no difference at all so it may be if you have a uk universal make that it will comply. You may just need confirmation of the related product number. I checked this as I was thinking of going home. It cost about $600. I also have a maxi rider and another safe and sound one but those didnt cross reference.

Small babies on planes behaviour wise are easy usually. especially if breastfeeding

Good luck!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 2:24 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Well, it is up to you if you bring the car seat. As I have said, it won't be legal here and some other posters on the site have checked and their insurance would be invalid if they were in an accident.

Have a search on child seats. As I say it is hotly debated!!

Your best bet would be to email your airline with pictures of your travel system and have their comments in writing as to what they will accept free of charge or if they will want some sort of fee. It is quite a lot you are carrying so I can't say if it would be free or not. We've only ever travelled with our Maclaren buggy which was free.
Brought our UK car seat with us to Perth. Used it on the plane for our 9 month old daughter. Meant she was safe and secure on the plane. She was also a lot more comfortable than trying to sit on an adult seat or on an adult lap. Meant we had a lot more comfortable/peaceful flight. And then .... we used it in our Aussie car until she outgrew it. Fitted perfectly. Didn't get stopped by the police. I think they've got more important things to do like catching criminals Alternatively if you're fretting over whether its legal or not in Australia just go out and spend $300-400 on a new one.

PS. In Perth they don't sell ISOFIX car seats ... unless anyone can tell me different.

Last edited by BAY; Jan 27th 2010 at 2:32 am.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by viviennef
I just went to Thailand with a double mountain buggy (we call it the truck because its huge and the best thing ever). Took it to the plane, the guy nearly killed himself getting it down to the hold

Car seats - I have the platinum retractor safe and sound - its just a uk car seat repackaged with no difference at all so it may be if you have a uk universal make that it will comply. You may just need confirmation of the related product number. I checked this as I was thinking of going home. It cost about $600. I also have a maxi rider and another safe and sound one but those didnt cross reference.

Small babies on planes behaviour wise are easy usually. especially if breastfeeding

Good luck!
we're heading to the Sunshine Coast - do we need a mountain buggy there??