Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking amounts of cash to Australia when emigrating??

Taking amounts of cash to Australia when emigrating??

Old Mar 12th 2008, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

anngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really nice
Question Taking amounts of cash to Australia when emigrating??

I am planning on immigrating to Australia in 2010 after I spent 18 months there in 2003/04 and fell in love with the country, people and way of life.

My question (if anybody reads this) is I plan to take around £20,000 GBP with me to set me up and buy a car etc (I know 2010 sounds a way off but as a nurse on crap pay I have been saving for ages and will continue to save up), will I get taxed in Oz on this amount? I am asking way in advance as if I am going to get taxed etc I will have to save up more cash as I do want to take £20k!

Many thanks to anyone who can answer this question

ps i am sorry if this is a common question but i am new to this forum and i am not sure where to find the topic
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:13 pm
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Taking amounts of cash to Australia when emigrating??

Originally Posted by anngroovy
I am planning on immigrating to Australia in 2010 after I spent 18 months there in 2003/04 and fell in love with the country, people and way of life.

My question (if anybody reads this) is I plan to take around £20,000 GBP with me to set me up and buy a car etc (I know 2010 sounds a way off but as a nurse on crap pay I have been saving for ages and will continue to save up), will I get taxed in Oz on this amount? I am asking way in advance as if I am going to get taxed etc I will have to save up more cash as I do want to take £20k!

ps i am sorry if this is a common question but i am new to this forum and i am not sure where to find the topic
As far as i am aware you will not be liable for any tax in australia as you were not tax resident there when you earned the money also one would assume tax has already been paid in wher you were a tax resident when you earned the money also there is a double taxation treaty between the two countries which basically means tax paid in one or the other means you will only be taxed once.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:19 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

lots of info etc for nurses at
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72

re cash if your bring hard cash declare it at customs as limit is $10k and no you wont be taxed on it as youve already paid tax in the uk

and finally welcome to BE

regards steve
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

No, you won't be taxed on your own money when you bring it into Australia. You may have to pay tax on any interest you earn on your cash after you become a tax resident, but if you plan on using it to set you up I wouldn't imagine you'd get enough interest to have to pay any
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

anngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really nice

Originally Posted by jan
As far as i am aware you will not be liable for any tax in australia as you were not tax resident there when you earned the money also one would assume tax has already been paid in wher you were a tax resident when you earned the money also there is a double taxation treaty between the two countries which basically means tax paid in one or the other means you will only be taxed once.
hello jan,
thanks for your reply
am
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

omg....this is great i am getting loads of answers/help

many many thanks to you all