Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking £10k across - how should we do it?

Taking £10k across - how should we do it?

Old Jan 24th 2006, 1:40 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taking £10k across - how should we do it?

I know that a lot of people on here have a huge amount to take across with them (and others very little) so I was just wondering what the best thing to do with £10k would be. Is it worth going through HIFX etc or should we just take it with us and exchange when we get there??

Any suggestions welcome!

Cheers

Rach xxxx

PS - sorry if its a silly question but this has always been an area where I get my knickers in a twist! lol
Old Jan 24th 2006, 2:17 pm
Livin it large

Mctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant future
Default Re: Taking £10k across - how should we do it?

Originally Posted by tygwyn
I know that a lot of people on here have a huge amount to take across with them (and others very little) so I was just wondering what the best thing to do with £10k would be. Is it worth going through HIFX etc or should we just take it with us and exchange when we get there??

Any suggestions welcome!

Cheers

Rach xxxx

PS - sorry if its a silly question but this has always been an area where I get my knickers in a twist! lol
I would go with Travellers Cheques. You can deposit them in your new bank account (takes a few days to clear), also cash what you need before hand.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 2:39 pm

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mctree
I would go with Travellers Cheques. You can deposit them in your new bank account (takes a few days to clear), also cash what you need before hand.
I hadn't thought of that option at all. Thanks very much!
Old Jan 24th 2006, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

geary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to all

I hadn't thought of that option at all. Thanks very much!

HSBC do a draft in a cheque in australian dollars for £20 and you can get a good rate.....then go to any bank and deposit it......
Old Jan 24th 2006, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by geary11
HSBC do a draft in a cheque in australian dollars for £20 and you can get a good rate.....then go to any bank and deposit it......
I'm glad I asked the question now - I hadn't thought of either of these options (and I used to work for a bank would you believe!! LOL)

Thanks very much
Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:17 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Do a search on here for tranzfers (spelt with a Z ) for 10k pounds you'll get better rates than travellers cheques which will be truly horrendous compared to rates offered by tranzfers or hifx. You will pay on travellers cheques to buy them and then again to change them plus the actual rate will be rubbish.

www.tranzfers.com ( also known as ozforex - they advertise top of this site)
www.hifx.com

Both 100% reliable reputable and used by lots of people.

Travellers cheques have got to be the most expensive option by far.
Both tranzfers and hifx are really helpful and will talk you through it - I think Tranzfers are better I used them every 2 weeks for about 4 mtsh. We used HIFX to transfer 100k for the aussie bond.

When you look at rates on these websites - theyre nott what you'll get - so dthe only way to compare is to register + logon and look at the real transfer rate or ring them and get a quote.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:22 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

ohhhhhh
Just had a quick bash on their drop down front page estimaters!!!

Hifx had rate of 2.37
Ozforex 2.36

interesting

mind you i add very quickly that i havnt signed up yet, rates may be more competitive if you phone them and say one's offering such and such etc!!
Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Thomas Cook do a draft thing. I will using one. Costs about £15, then it depends on where you cash it in Oz.

good luck

Lacex
Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:52 pm
Jonah & Suzie's Daddy!!!

Sir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud of

Any suggestions welcome!

Cheers

Rach xxxx

how about just opening a account with westpac and see what they can do for you
Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about

Any suggestions welcome!

Cheers

Rach xxxx

We brought over £5k in cash to get us started....we got a good rate from the Post Office as they do a special rate for this amount and over...we also sent over money from uk account via HIFX and the rate was the same!! Worth shopping around.............

BB
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Kent, United Kingdom, now North West Sydney, Hills district and now Hawkesbury.
MELANIE6 will become famous soon enough

Hi

We took 10K AUSD between us in our hand luggage and transferred the rest via our Commonwealth bank account which we had set up in London before we left. We phoned them when the exchange rate was good and they transferred it there and then and it only cost us 25.00 pounds. You should bring some ready cash with you as you will need it. We then had to go to a Commonwealth bank and just register and show our passports and then the money was ours.

We live near Richmond, Sydney - whereabouts are you hoping to live?

Best of luck

Melanie
Old Jan 25th 2006, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by MELANIE6
Hi

We took 10K AUSD between us in our hand luggage and transferred the rest via our Commonwealth bank account which we had set up in London before we left. We phoned them when the exchange rate was good and they transferred it there and then and it only cost us 25.00 pounds. You should bring some ready cash with you as you will need it. We then had to go to a Commonwealth bank and just register and show our passports and then the money was ours.

We live near Richmond, Sydney - whereabouts are you hoping to live?

Best of luck

Melanie
Thanks Melanie

We're hoping to live in or around Windsor. My husband will be working at QDS Richmond. How long have you been over there? What do you think of the place?

Thanks again

Rach xxxx
Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

I would recommend Tranzfers. The transfer can be managed online and their rates are very good. It should appear in an Aussie account within 3-4 days.

SS
Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:28 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

In 1p coins
Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:51 am
Banned

Nogo is an unknown quantity at this point

Any suggestions welcome!

Cheers

Rach xxxx

You'll get a much better rate with ozforex than hifx for 10k. They have been excellent for me after my problems with HIFX

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.