Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taken house off the market

Taken house off the market

Old Jun 8th 2005, 8:50 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taken house off the market

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You've obviously thought about it but do none of the other "local" schools have spaces. I know it's disruptive to the kids but that's preferable to them being in one that's not working for them.

Pig of a problem though. All the best.
It's a pain, yes. You know, you try to do the best for them. They'll be OK in the end, I'm sure but the school merrygoround has to end soon.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Renth,

Know a bit how you feel, we felt exactly the same way. Now we are back in the uk, I am so glad we had the house to come home to. It's a bit like putting your food into an old slipper, it fits perfectly!

Saying that, it may not suit some people, others need to return and start completely from scratch. For us, it took the sting out of the move back.

Unfortuately paying the mortgage in the uk and having to live in oz was crippling towards the end. It partly made the decision to move back for us.

You seem to have thought about your families feelings and whatever you decide for the future, all the best

Mandy
Old Jun 8th 2005, 8:56 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scrawni
Renth,
It's a bit like putting your food into an old slipper, it fits perfectly!
I prefer to put the food in my mouth and slippers on feet
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

Renth,
Any chance you would sell that hoiuse to me? I love it. I could afford to pay you about £160,000
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:05 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear that Renth.

I know what you mean about houses, although ours is nowhere near as grand as yours when we bought it we honestly thought the only way we'd be moving would be in wooden boxes after a long happy life!

I will be sad to leave the house, but cant help thinking that if we held onto it not only would I be worrying about what the tenants were up to but it's just too easy to think "right, dont like it here, let's go back".

I know it's not the same for everyone, and if this makes you happy then stick to your guns, but on a personal level I would prefer to cut all ties to encourage me to make a real go of it in Oz.

Good luck, will send you some K.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:39 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
I will be sad to leave the house, but cant help thinking that if we held onto it not only would I be worrying about what the tenants were up to but it's just too easy to think "right, dont like it here, let's go back".

I know it's not the same for everyone, and if this makes you happy then stick to your guns, but on a personal level I would prefer to cut all ties to encourage me to make a real go of it in Oz.

Good luck, will send you some K.
Thanks for that. I'd hate to have to move back to the UK, the only consolation would be the house and the village life we left. Since we decided to keep it (for the time being) I feel an enormous weight off my shoulders.

Crazy isn't it? with everyone desperate to sell and going nuts when they do, heres me turning down buyers and feeling relief.

I feel we have and are making a success of Australia, been here over 2 years now but don't necessarily feel success should be measured in owning a house. It would be nice to but that would be a case of "having the cake and eating it!"
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by renth

I feel we have and are making a success of Australia, been here over 2 years now but don't necessarily feel success should be measured in owning a house. It would be nice to but that would be a case of "having the cake and eating it!"
I agree, there's more to life than that. All things happen for a reason, one day all will become clear and you will know exactly what you have to do.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

sue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nice

The truth is DO love it here but with the bad luck we've had with picking a good school for the kids and upcoming "changes" at work, who knows...
We have also been here nearly 2 years,and i know how you are feeling,though dont have the school problem as mine are alot older 20 and 17,but my 20yr old as decided to go back to the UK . You have a great house back in the UK,just curious where it is, we are from Berkshire.Im sure it will all work out in the end.
sue
Old Jun 8th 2005, 12:32 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that. I'd hate to have to move back to the UK, the only consolation would be the house and the village life we left. Since we decided to keep it (for the time being) I feel an enormous weight off my shoulders.

Crazy isn't it? with everyone desperate to sell and going nuts when they do, heres me turning down buyers and feeling relief.

Your decision has to be respected.

However, my dispassionate view would be to sell, because IMHO the UK housing mkt has already started to fall and will continue to do so for a couple of years. I predict about twenty-five percent drop in notional prices, more in real terms.

Yes, the GBP will probably strengthen vs the AUD, so stick the dosh in a sterling a/c. Or split the difference and hedge your bets.

Being emotionally attached to a house is irrational vs the real chance of losing a quarter of your wealth tied up in the equity.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Don

However, my dispassionate view would be to sell, because IMHO the UK housing mkt has already started to fall and will continue to do so for a couple of years. I predict about twenty-five percent drop in notional prices, more in real terms.

Thing is, no one knows for sure, for every person that thinks prices are dropping there's another that say it's levelling off and another that says they're increasing, as per here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...1&page=1&pp=10

You're right though that sometimes you have to take your emotions out of the equation.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:08 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bridiej
Thing is, no one knows for sure, for every person that thinks prices are dropping there's another that say it's levelling off and another that says they're increasing, as per here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...1&page=1&pp=10

You're right though that sometimes you have to take your emotions out of the equation.
It usually pays to nearly completely discount/ ignore the views of those with a vested interest in the housing mkt continuing to rise. Don't ignore their data - though take it with a pinch of salt esp the seasonal adjustments which they use to their advantage.

I prefer to look at the views of independent economists and the word on the street from people selling, buying or reasonably honest estate agents.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Don
reasonably honest estate agents.
Is there any such thing? LOL!
Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:11 pm
Badge

You're right, a lot of sentimental value, a "once in a lifetime" house. I just can't bear to part with it.
likewise, if I had a house like that I would never need to move over here.

badge

Old Jun 8th 2005, 4:24 pm
Dexter

Dexter has a spectacular aura aboutDexter has a spectacular aura aboutDexter has a spectacular aura about

It's a pain, yes. You know, you try to do the best for them. They'll be OK in the end, I'm sure but the school merrygoround has to end soon.

Hi Renth

Can you tell me what the problem with the school in Ocean Reef is as we may be heading that way when arrive at the end of the month. Our eldest would be going to Ocean Reef Senior High.

Any info would be great

Thanks

Craig
Old Jun 8th 2005, 4:32 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

You're right, a lot of sentimental value, a "once in a lifetime" house. I just can't bear to part with it.
Looks like a nice place. Where is it?.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.