Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taken house off the market

Taken house off the market

Old Jun 8th 2005, 3:43 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taken house off the market

Are we mad. We even had buyers itching to move in but we chickened out.

Mainly due to the fact that even after 2 and a bit years we are still not sure we are going to stay (crappy schools) and the exchange rate going tits up.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 3:54 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taken house off the market

Perhaps while you have that existing escape route you will never fully settle here?

If you sell the house, even if you keep the money in the UK, you might be more inclined to see your future here?

That doesnt mean, of course that you have to stay, but you might focus on the long term more than if you know you have the house sitting there in the UK??

I dont really know....I havent been in the position. But obviously something is telling you its not the right thing to do for the moment.

Boy, this post is all over the place....

Hope you get what I mean.....hehehe

Hels
Old Jun 8th 2005, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Are we mad. We even had buyers itching to move in but we chickened out.

Mainly due to the fact that even after 2 and a bit years we are still not sure we are going to stay (crappy schools) and the exchange rate going tits up.
Hope things work out Renth, is it worth selling up, hanging onto the pounds and waiting for the exchange rate to improve? It's never quite a simple as you can make it sound on a forum though...
Old Jun 8th 2005, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

I know what you meen Hels and agree with you. Also I am thinking you must be ultra rich Renth if you can move out without selling your house. Can I be your friend lol.

Katie
Old Jun 8th 2005, 5:36 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Larissa
Hope things work out Renth, is it worth selling up, hanging onto the pounds and waiting for the exchange rate to improve? It's never quite a simple as you can make it sound on a forum though...
You then have capital gains tax to pay on the money you make as (if) the rate comes back in your favour.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 5:36 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by KatieStar
I know what you meen Hels and agree with you. Also I am thinking you must be ultra rich Renth if you can move out without selling your house. Can I be your friend lol.

Katie
Ultra rich? I wish. No, we are renting here in Perth and will have to continue doing so.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Good luck with what you decide I am sure you will know when the time comes when you are ready to make the big commitment. I guess the house must have a lot of sentimental value to you that if you wanted to move back to the UK you would want to move back into your old house.

Katie
Old Jun 8th 2005, 5:41 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Wise investment decisions rather than emotions are the best option. With the value of the pound and sorry state of the UK market holding on to the property is probably the best option.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

That is a good point, also it looks to me anyway that buying in Oz at the moment would not be a good plan as the housing market looks a bit unsettled.

Katie
Old Jun 8th 2005, 5:45 am
Badge

There's sad to hear - I was thinking you were happily settled here as well.

Badge

Old Jun 8th 2005, 5:51 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by KatieStar
Good luck with what you decide I am sure you will know when the time comes when you are ready to make the big commitment. I guess the house must have a lot of sentimental value to you that if you wanted to move back to the UK you would want to move back into your old house.

Katie
You're right, a lot of sentimental value, a "once in a lifetime" house. I just can't bear to part with it.
Attached Thumbnails Taken house off the market-rc.jpg  
Old Jun 8th 2005, 5:53 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

You're right, a lot of sentimental value, a "once in a lifetime" house. I just can't bear to part with it.

Wow!! I wouldnt want to either!!

That is a stunning house and even though I am Australian, I would move back to the UK in a heartbeat if I owned something that special!!

Old Jun 8th 2005, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Yep it certainly is a beautifull house. I can understand you not wanting to part with it until you are sure about your move.

Katie
Old Jun 8th 2005, 6:23 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by Badge
There's sad to hear - I was thinking you were happily settled here as well.

Badge
The truth is DO love it here but with the bad luck we've had with picking a good school for the kids and upcoming "changes" at work, who knows...
Old Jun 8th 2005, 8:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The truth is DO love it here but with the bad luck we've had with picking a good school for the kids and upcoming "changes" at work, who knows...
You've obviously thought about it but do none of the other "local" schools have spaces. I know it's disruptive to the kids but that's preferable to them being in one that's not working for them.

Pig of a problem though. All the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.