Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Take stock, because most return home.

Take stock, because most return home.

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:31 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Take stock, because most return home.

Originally Posted by harveyhare
Oh dear :scared:

I don't post on here that often, found the post as I was originally going to ask for advice as we are finding it hard to settle, admit not been in OZ long and unsure whether its a wrong state thing? homesickness? and how did others feel but obviously the replies would be LOVE IT and dont winge or GO HOME you will not be missed.
Do i need to ask in the returning to the UK forum?

Di
I dont normally post on these kind of threads, as I am in the UK and havent lived 'properly' in Oz yet. I cannot comment on what I have yet to learn.

but 'The finding it hard to settle' is something I dread, I quite honestly dont know where you should post it how you feel? If you go in Return to UK you will be met with the 'yeah Oz is shit brigade' and as you've pointed out if you say it here you will get the above replies.

Maybe there should be a 'support for settling in' forum
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:43 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
I dont normally post on these kind of threads, as I am in the UK and havent lived 'properly' in Oz yet. I cannot comment on what I have yet to learn.

but 'The finding it hard to settle' is something I dread, I quite honestly dont know where you should post it how you feel? If you go in Return to UK you will be met with the 'yeah Oz is shit brigade' and as you've pointed out if you say it here you will get the above replies.

Yea, I agree with you. The OP's comments don't make for comfortable reading, for those still on their way over, but they're his opinions and no less valid than anyone else's. I feel that anyone that tries emigrating, whether they succeed or fail, deserves a huge amount of respect for simply having the balls to follow their dream. Maybe we should concentrate on that, and not sink to petty xenophobic rants.

That is all, you may now go about your business.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:45 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
sad gimboids

great word!!!

i have read this thread with interest. in fact i have not read anything else yet since logging on this morning!! there has been a few occassions that i thought "he cant say that" or "i'm going to reply to that, i strongly disagree" (or words to that effect!! ). but, i havent. i have taken on board everybodys opinions and thoughts, which they are entitled to.

the one thing i dont like is when posts get personal, thats not right. but everybody should be able to voice their opinions, good or bad.

thats my 2 pennith, for what its worth!!
Show us yer gimboids!

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:46 am
& Sharon, Mike & Luke

andyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really nice

I for one nearly stopped posting after my 1st post was met with hostilities.

only nearly??? shame

So to all the sad gimboids out there:- if you want this forum to actually get some postings that are really worth reading, rather than the “look at me I’m so great with my 4000+ postings and Karma coming out of my rectum� brigade. Then you need to hush up a bit, bite your tongues and let people have their say.

Most of what is said on this forum is informative and interesting, sometimes some people even have a sense of humour and enjoy a wee laugh or two! Try it sometime, just turn up the corners of your mouth, it won't kill you!!
Q: What on earth is a gimboid??

So write something that is worth reading rather than bitching on about other people's opinions, just because they are different to your doom and gloom ones!

Arkon, who I've personally renamed nark-on, lighten up, give your opinions in a less aggressive manner and stop personally attacking others for their opinions. It's honest opinions, good or bad about Australia that are needed on this Forum. If all you want to do is to tell everyone else to shut up then it's you and not the rest of us "rats" who need to find a Forum named "in a shxtty mood again, ignore me"

What a pain in the ass.

You said it!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:50 am
Badge

bloody hell - a good one and I haven't even read half of it...

Some people will never fit in here, or achieve what they wanted for a million reasons some of which have been addressed here over the years. If you don't like it, that much, go home. I say that with compassion, not with a 'get over it' tone. If it's not that bad here, then it will be worth it if you stick it. Some people get off to a wrong start here. As the poster said, you have to really love Australia,
*warts and all*, and to 'get it'- forget the weather, beaches and big houses - to stay here. I used to bang on about that when I first joined - but it fell largely on deaf ears - its why I joined. I reckon you should go for an interview before getting a visa - a panel from expats....

Like Ceri, me, Pollyanna, OzTennis, Mike, Hevs, Jad and Rich, Anya - we'd work out whether you should get a visa lol. We seem to represent most of the views.

For me its the simple things like the CFA, a good job, a little house in a village and great friends and a future - a feeling of not having sleepless nights about money or career or direction - and a life of experiences and memories - if you have a massive itch you will never be happy.

Australia is not perfect, but right now, I am ahead in so many ways that only the best of UK life would make me move back - and we know full well it is not within our reach. Frankly even the best of UK life would not be enough - I would wind back here one way or another, if even part time.(!) My situation does not improve the lot of some - you will find out sooner or later whether you made the right decision...

this has sod all to do with rose tints, but to do with personality, life experiences, motives and personal situations..

Burial means nothing to me. If I lived on the Gold Coast I'd be worried though.

Badge

Last edited by Badge; Aug 23rd 2005 at 9:54 am.

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:51 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by possoms

The " Oz is shit Brigade" have their own forum " the returning to the Uk forum" where they can whinge and whine as much as they like about what a dreadful place Oz is, but if they come onto the Aussie forum they have to expect some criticism.

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

sudds is on a distinguished road

Not all that travel are lost!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 10:01 am
Professional Princess

A gimboid is a feasibly large set of testicles with rather too much hair on them.

They can be used to bounce on or play football with.

But gimboids should be looked after and cleaned on a regular basis or they will however, smell quite badly.

There, that settled that.

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 10:21 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey what a good un!

So many point raised but i agree with Badge, some people just don't get it. Its like they make to much drama out of all of the little stuff that really doesn't matter on the grand scale of things (like the weirdos in Bunnings) and forget about the reasons they came and the fact that this ISN'T BRITAIN! It just isn't.

My grandparents were £10 poms in the 1960's. My grandad died, was cremated, then carted back in my Mums suitcase to be buried with his parents, however this was his home and he was never homesick.

I could't give a flying fart where I'mburied, as long as its not in a mmahoganybox and theres lots of aalcoholto be had Who cares.

Ceri, i agree the word wog, in any circles i mix with, is derogatory and i will never feel comfortable saying it.

People have the right to post what they want on this forum because thats what makes it what it is. We will always have different views, thats life. A person should not be slated for that though.

To the OP.... Good luck on your return
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 10:30 am
Banned

mutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nice

Good thread this one, reminds me of the good old days.

Ceri causing trouble and getting a good verbal thrashing and badge singing the praises of Aus, just like the good old days.

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 10:34 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mutant

Ceri causing trouble and getting a good verbal thrashing and badge singing the praises of Aus, just like the good old days.

The good old days - Does that mean your going to get banned?
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 10:35 am
Professional Princess

mutant! how are you? Havent seen you for ages!

Its true, does remind you of the good old days.

Remember the fight between mickJ and balushi? (sighs) I might go and search for it.

Mind you, fighting should be saved for TIO.

Shall we go in there and resurrect one?

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 10:37 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

I'm still waiting for the big one: Ceri vs ADL

A
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 10:37 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

reminds me of the good old days.
Penny Farthings, the discovery of electricity and penicillin, Mr Logie Baird and his amazing tele-vision. How could we forget?
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 10:39 am
Badge

***** off WBB. Since I've been on the medication I do try to slag it off once in a while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.