Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Take stock, because most return home.

Take stock, because most return home.

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:35 am
BLC

Default Re: Take stock, because most return home.

Originally Posted by Flutterscutter
I agree.

I think if someone has a view they have the right to share it. Healthy debate is good for everyone. People will always have differing views.

Hey B! What am i doing wrong? I try to post nice things, even pretty piccies and not even a reply let alone karma! LOL
I'm just a billy no mates
Yep - everyone to their own for views

GG has just said I have fired her a blank :scared: I will await a re-stock later today/tomorrow.

B

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BLC
With respect and I don't say this to cause any stir, but why can't they have these views on there? They live in Australia, they have done the full move thing, isn't this another angle to life over in Oz? If they said life is hunky dory they get two pages of pats on the back posts and 10 hits of karma?

Sorry, but it a shame we can't have all views on here - good, bad or ugly? I think it is a real post.

And we are planning to move UK to Oz in next year or two.

B
I would normally agree, but I think that as far as possible views should be balanced and I say this for both the 'rose tinted glass' brigade as well as the 'crushed dreams' brigade. Every single country has its negatives and positives. When people start posting with really negative one-sided views on a forum where people are really looking for practical answers to their questions, they do begin to doubt themselves and their decisions. This is counterproductive and precisely the reason that the other forum is there. People who want a balanced view have the option to view both forums, there is no need to ram negativity down our throats - the decision is fraught enough.

Also, if you read through, this thread only became nasty when ABCD posted to counteract a very misleading title - it is a complete misnoma that most return to the UK. The OP was basing that on only 8 couples that they know. Suddenly, just because ABCD was putting things into perspective he was being accused of surfing the net and quoting silly statistics all the time. Now matter how silly some people think statistics are, they play a very important part in the world's economy (which is why actuaries and statisticians are so well paid) and can put emotive issues into cold hard numerical perspective. That is all ABCD was doing. Suddenly, a deluge of abuse ensued. ABCD was in no way maligning what the OP said, just stating what one statistic said.

As for the karma bit, well, yes, I would think that karma would be posted for the more positive aspects of life over there since most of us on this particular forum need verification that this huge decision we have made is the right one and we applaud people that have gone to Oz and had the grit to make a go of it and LOVE IT!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:47 am
BLC

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
I would normally agree, but I think that as far as possible views should be balanced and I say this for both the 'rose tinted glass' brigade as well as the 'crushed dreams' brigade. Every single country has its negatives and positives. When people start posting with really negative one-sided views on a forum where people are really looking for practical answers to their questions, they do begin to doubt themselves and their decisions. This is counterproductive and precisely the reason that the other forum is there. People who want a balanced view have the option to view both forums, there is no need to ram negativity down our throats - the decision is fraught enough.

Also, if you read through, this thread only became nasty when ABCD posted to counteract a very misleading title - it is a complete misnoma that most return to the UK. The OP was basing that on only 8 couples that they know. Suddenly, just because ABCD was putting things into perspective he was being accused of surfing the net and quoting silly statistics all the time. Now matter how silly some people think statistics are, they play a very important part in the world's economy (which is why actuaries and statisticians are so well paid) and can put emotive issues into cold hard numerical perspective. That is all ABCD was doing. Suddenly, a deluge of abuse ensued. ABCD was in no way maligning what the OP said, just stating what one statistic said.

As for the karma bit, well, yes, I would think that karma would be posted for the more positive aspects of life over there since most of us on this particular forum need verification that this huge decision we have made is the right one and we applaud people that have gone to Oz and had the grit to make a go of it and LOVE IT!
This is negative????

Originally Posted by Charmoll
Consequently, I can't understate how much I now appreciate what I had in the UK. But always the optomist, we tried to turn this experience into something positive.
At the end of the day, I have said it before and I will say it again, it is rare that people deal in facts, they deal in emotions, very human thing.

If I posted a table of facts saying that out of 100 expats, 75 went home within 2 years, people would still follow THEIR dreams and move to Oz.

If you want something badly, just go and do it. It doesn't work for everyone, the OP was NOT knocking those trying, just giving their experiences and saying to us on the Forum - "Hey, look at what you have already in the UK or wherever".

B

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:55 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Really fascinating to see how a well-constructed original posting (perhaps query the statistics...) immediately drags out the vitriol bottles!

I know that when we originally decided to come to Australia - years ago - we could not get enough information whether good or bad.

Ignoring the bad can bring total disillusionment when it jumps up and hits you in the face.

So - let's take ANY comment in the spirit in which it's made, shall we?
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:58 am
Professional Princess

I think no matter how crap things are for you in your chosen country of migration, you have to accept the fact it may well be different for others.

Lots of POMS may well return home but its their lives and they cannot be lived via the lives of future migrants.

Everyone has to make their own way in this process and discover the pros and cons for themselves.

If someone says to you 'We went to Australia and we were worse off, we missed the UK so we think you shouldnt go as you will be back'

Thats fine, they are posting their experience which is personal to them.

But there is no reason why everyone else should work under that direction and let it change their minds.

Brave to go, even braver to come back and admit it didnt work, but others must be allowed to make their own choice.

Its what makes the world go round - freedom of choice and your right to excercise that right.

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

Oh dear :scared:

I don't post on here that often, found the post as I was originally going to ask for advice as we are finding it hard to settle, admit not been in OZ long and unsure whether its a wrong state thing? homesickness? and how did others feel but obviously the replies would be LOVE IT and dont winge or GO HOME you will not be missed.
Do i need to ask in the returning to the UK forum?

Di
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 8:21 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harveyhare
Oh dear :scared:

I don't post on here that often, found the post as I was originally going to ask for advice as we are finding it hard to settle, admit not been in OZ long and unsure whether its a wrong state thing? homesickness? and how did others feel but obviously the replies would be LOVE IT and dont winge or GO HOME you will not be missed.
Do i need to ask in the returning to the UK forum?

Di
I think the one line that caused the most objection was the 'most people go back' without that this wouldnt have caused a problem iguess. ;-)
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 8:25 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it that when someone posts comments perceived as 'negative' about emigrating, it generates such a fierce response? Could it be something to do with touching a raw nerve?

C'mon! As far as I can see, the OP was writing honestly about their experience. No, it doesn't make pleasant reading, and yes, it does make me think about the enormity of what Dave and I are doing, and the risks that it carries with it......which I think was the whole point of the original posting!

No, I don't believe I appreciate how hard moving to Oz could be. I am trying to be realistic about the whole thing, and whilst it's the most exciting thing ever to happen in my (it has to be said) rather unexciting life so far, I don't believe for a minute that it's all going to be plain sailing.

The reality is that migrating to Oz will be the best thing ever for some of us - but we're all different: our circumstances, families, financial situation, goals, the way we deal with things mentally and emotionally - all different. Some of us are going to breeze the whole thing and settle in easily, others will take more time - and unfortunately, for others, emigrating may very well not work out at all. But that's life, and I for one am open to hearing what people have to say about their own experience of migrating - both the good AND the bad. Maybe I might learn something from them, and perhaps avoid making a few mistakes of my own along the way.

So, that's my tuppence worth. And to the original poster, I am only sorry that for you Oz hasn't worked out. I hope things do get better for you and your family.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 8:34 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charmoll
I moved out to Australia two years ago. We sold a business in the UK and came out here with all our belongings including two cats. On arrival I got a job almost immediately and then we bought a house. We really gave the country a go, despite our belongings going missing in shipping for six months (do not use Robinsons Removals) and our cats coming out of quarantine emaciated. Still we persisted.
I thought that each time that I did something like get a job, that that would help me settle. Still unsettled, I thought well when I buy a house then I will feel like this is really home. But what you don't plan for are the events that evolve back home, a funeral, wedding, christening... After a while one step forward can be knocked by two steps back. Then you realise that this is a hard country to get ahead in, it's not as easy as the trade fairs make out. Businesses are not that easy to set up and the supply chains if you are importing can be frustrating. House prices are comparable to the Uk (gone are the days of being able to buy a house with a pool for a the equivalent of a UK terrace, unless you move to the remote areas).
So, whilst you are struggling to establish your work, life and home, the feelings of isolation and frustration (basically homesickness) set in. Then you start blaming eachother. Your relationship really can suffer. This has been my experience.
Consequently, I can't understate how much I now appreciate what I had in the UK. But always the optomist, we tried to turn this experience into something positive. We decided this was not the place for us, but we could not return immediately because of the house. So my boyfriend decided to train to be a pilot here (a dream of his and a lot cheaper to train here than at home) and I made plans for the move back home. All the things I wish I had done before coming out here. What people fail to mention is that more people return than stay here. Out of eight couples I know from the UK six have returned within three years of coming out here. Only two will remain and only one of those permanently. Also a lot of couples split up.

Finally before I write War and Peace II, this may make someone take stock: with the selling of our property and business and the flights and accommodation and all the other costs of emigrating it cost us about $40,000 to come out here. So please think about it hard, because it is not just the emotions that get knocked. And if you want a change, just think of the great holiday you could go on with that money.
What most agree on is that to make it work here, it is not really down to how much you feel disillusioned with the UK, it is really about how much you love Australia.
Hi Charmoll, its good to hear what you have to say, We are in a similar position as yourself, sold UK business, house, brought over 2 dogs etc. etc. I for one am finding the whole Australian emigration thing a big disappointment, maybe that because being in my 30’s and having had a very successful life and career in the UK is making the whole thing more stressful and unfulfilling than it might otherwise have been. What I am starting to think is that maybe the products from maggies Britian that have created companies and just generally done very well for themselves might find life in Australia not quite up to their high standards or expectations.

As for everyone that jumped on Charmoll for speaking his/her own experiences out loud, and having a pop at him/her and had nothing to say but bollocks, maybe you should all just bog off too! The forum title is “Australia� not “Australia for rose tinted specs�. I for one nearly stopped posting after my 1st post was met with hostilities. Also judging by the number of private emails I have got supporting me there is a huge majority of lurkers too afraid to post because if they should say something that a few miserable gits don’t like you are made to feel like your opinions don’t matter.

So to all the sad gimboids out there:- if you want this forum to actually get some postings that are really worth reading, rather than the “look at me I’m so great with my 4000+ postings and Karma coming out of my rectum� brigade. Then you need to hush up a bit, bite your tongues and let people have their say.

And to the MODS please stop closing threads just because a topic has been covered before, not all of us have been on here for years and everyday and so miss things now and again. I wanted to reply to ABCDiamond on a closed thread and couldn’t. What a pain in the ass.

Charmoll Keep up the postings, ignore the rats.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 8:41 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
What I am starting to think is that maybe the products from maggies Britian that have created companies and just generally done very well for themselves might find life in Australia not quite up to their high standards or expectations.
Refresh my memory, are you the bloke who is waiting for his dogs to die before you go back to the UK?

Despite John Howard's best efforts Australia is yet to become the "***** you" society that your hero Mrs. Thatcher achieved. I'm sorry you don't find it up to your high standards.

Why on earth did you decide to move here anyway?
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 8:43 am
wombat42

The facts are wrong most Poms decide to stay in OZ not go home. Some people seem to think just because it did'nt work out for them in OZ it can't work out for anyone else. Perhaps they don't like to see other people succeed where they failed.

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Charmoll will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wombat42
The facts are wrong most Poms decide to stay in OZ not go home. Some people seem to think just because it did'nt work out for them in OZ it can't work out for anyone else. Perhaps they don't like to see other people succeed where they failed.
Today was the first day that I have properly viewed this site.

My entry was not to become a vitriolic sounding board. It was just my single personal experience of emigrating and the last two years of living here. It was simply in some way a response to the comments made by those yet to make the move. Just think about what you are doing and be sure. The scale of it is not always apparent until you are on the other side of the world.
Please don't get me wrong, I think Australia is a lovely place.
For me it has been the distance that has caused the problems.
This has just been one of many lessons we take from life.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 8:58 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by arkon
“look at me I’m so great with my 4000+ postings and Karma coming out of my rectum� brigade. Then you need to hush up a bit, bite your tongues and let people have their say.

Who is that aimed at? The amount of karma and posts a member has - has nothing to do with the comments they make.

I replied to this post a non biased reply and fit your criteria of 4000 + posts, and that has NO reflection on my opinion of this thread.

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:29 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

sad gimboids

great word!!!

i have read this thread with interest. in fact i have not read anything else yet since logging on this morning!! there has been a few occassions that i thought "he cant say that" or "i'm going to reply to that, i strongly disagree" (or words to that effect!! ). but, i havent. i have taken on board everybodys opinions and thoughts, which they are entitled to.

the one thing i dont like is when posts get personal, thats not right. but everybody should be able to voice their opinions, good or bad.

thats my 2 pennith, for what its worth!!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:30 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BLC
Thanks GG, I was the one that mentioned for Charmoll to post here as it another 'real life' view from someone that has done it - warts and all. It wasn't said for them to be publically flogged, yes people are entitled to their opinions and rightly so, but in a mature way.

I get a little tired on lots of feet stomping on people's heads for saying what is in their heart - we have LOST far too many good posters because of this.

From someone who has been there, understands the traumas and happiness and is going to do it all over again :scared:

B

here here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.