Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Take stock, because most return home.

Take stock, because most return home.

Old Aug 26th 2005, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Take stock, because most return home.

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
Its great to hear how some people can really turn things around for themselves.

I do wish though that people would stop thinking about the immigration as sucess or failure. Why can't people just look at it as trying another option in life open to us. If it fits - fantastic if not try something else. I look at it as changing career, if it doesn't work you can always retain or return to what you do best! Sometimes you don't realise that what you have is the best thing for you until you leave it. Then you can really appreciate it and in the case of the UK you can always return - it ain't going anywhere.
Hi,
Changing careers is probably not even a fraction of the stress that involves migrating. It's not always easy to just pack up and return - After spending so much money, time , effort, in some cases against the family's wishes, not easy to 'simply' return.
Ultimately you hope to be happy once you migrate - and it takes a bit longer for new migrants to find it!

Cheers
Anya
Old Aug 26th 2005, 11:58 am
I liek beer

DevMountain is an unknown quantity at this point

I think woody's point was that you shouldn't see returning as failing - it does cost money, time and effort, but these are not as important as happiness.

It does take time to adapt and even longer to learn whether what you've done is the right thing or not. Whatever, choices people make, they can rest in the knowledge that they followed their dream - even if they found it out to not be the dream they sought.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DevMountain
I think woody's point was that you shouldn't see returning as failing - it does cost money, time and effort, but these are not as important as happiness.

It does take time to adapt and even longer to learn whether what you've done is the right thing or not. Whatever, choices people make, they can rest in the knowledge that they followed their dream - even if they found it out to not be the dream they sought.
V True - agree that it should not be seen as a success or failure.
Noticed many here take it very personally when someone posts their unhappy experiences.
If you are sure of your decision, then the 'negative' posts should help you even better to plan ahead - but I guess you are never really prepared unless you experience it first hand - but atleast you know what you're getting yourself into. Helps you make informed decisions...blah blah.........blaaaah Sorry I start rambling when I'm sleepy

Anya
Old Aug 26th 2005, 12:18 pm
Living & Loving in Perth

hoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by meelie
Everyone is different and so are their life experiences. I lived in South America in the 90's, sure I had the most awful time what with racism (I'm white British), being stolen from constantly and living in a hell hole. BUT... if we hadn't tried we would have lived our lives wondering 'what if?' I just think it was an experience, not one I'd like to repeat but I did it and came out of it with that experience. What I'm trying to say is that life is full of risks and in order to attain your dreams/goals you have to take risks. If it doesn't work out then you have to put it down to experience and try something else. And at least you can say you've tried.
Couldn't have said it better myself!!! Lifes adventures - something to tell the grandchildren.

Hoops (mrs)
Old Aug 26th 2005, 12:39 pm
I liek beer

Originally Posted by hoops
...something to tell the grandchildren.
...wherever they are bought up
Old Aug 27th 2005, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Charmoll
I moved out to Australia two years ago. We sold a business in the UK and came out here with all our belongings including two cats. On arrival I got a job almost immediately and then we bought a house. We really gave the country a go, despite our belongings going missing in shipping for six months (do not use Robinsons Removals) and our cats coming out of quarantine emaciated. Still we persisted.
I thought that each time that I did something like get a job, that that would help me settle. Still unsettled, I thought well when I buy a house then I will feel like this is really home. But what you don't plan for are the events that evolve back home, a funeral, wedding, christening... After a while one step forward can be knocked by two steps back. Then you realise that this is a hard country to get ahead in, it's not as easy as the trade fairs make out. Businesses are not that easy to set up and the supply chains if you are importing can be frustrating. House prices are comparable to the Uk (gone are the days of being able to buy a house with a pool for a the equivalent of a UK terrace, unless you move to the remote areas).
So, whilst you are struggling to establish your work, life and home, the feelings of isolation and frustration (basically homesickness) set in. Then you start blaming eachother. Your relationship really can suffer. This has been my experience.
Consequently, I can't understate how much I now appreciate what I had in the UK. But always the optomist, we tried to turn this experience into something positive. We decided this was not the place for us, but we could not return immediately because of the house. So my boyfriend decided to train to be a pilot here (a dream of his and a lot cheaper to train here than at home) and I made plans for the move back home. All the things I wish I had done before coming out here. What people fail to mention is that more people return than stay here. Out of eight couples I know from the UK six have returned within three years of coming out here. Only two will remain and only one of those permanently. Also a lot of couples split up.

Finally before I write War and Peace II, this may make someone take stock: with the selling of our property and business and the flights and accommodation and all the other costs of emigrating it cost us about $40,000 to come out here. So please think about it hard, because it is not just the emotions that get knocked. And if you want a change, just think of the great holiday you could go on with that money.
What most agree on is that to make it work here, it is not really down to how much you feel disillusioned with the UK, it is really about how much you love Australia.
load of crap
Old Aug 27th 2005, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by robert cowan
load of crap

Seconded!
Old Aug 28th 2005, 3:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert cowan
load of crap
Another balanced opinion! Got any views to back up your statement?
Old Aug 28th 2005, 5:16 am
Banned

Bizarre will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Charmoll
came out here with all our belongings including two cats.
You should of left the cats behind. they are not wanted in this eco system and can only cause harm.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 5:28 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Charmoll don't let the idiots with blinkered opinions get to you. sometimes no matter how hard you try the 'feeling at home' time never comes for some people. it didn't happen for us and we had such good luck in australia. we came home and after a bit of indecision we are happy and settled.

Maybe the people who have acheived the 'success' of emigrating (as they put it) and bash anyones opinion who says they were unhappy, are on a knnife edge of happiness themselves and can't stand the thought that maybe one day they will admit that it doesn't feel like home and return themselves. only if they ever feel the complete soulesness of 'homesickness/peoplesickness' will they ever understand.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 5:31 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by wildmark
Seconded!
Thirded

Old Aug 28th 2005, 5:55 am
ABCDiamond

A question to the posters who are making short replies...

If the original poster had left out the bit about "because most return home", how do you really think the post would have been ?

eg: With Revised heading "Take stock, because some return home"

I moved out to Australia two years ago. We sold a business in the UK and came out here with all our belongings including two cats. On arrival I got a job almost immediately and then we bought a house. We really gave the country a go, despite our belongings going missing in shipping for six months (do not use Robinsons Removals) and our cats coming out of quarantine emaciated. Still we persisted.

I thought that each time that I did something like get a job, that that would help me settle. Still unsettled, I thought well when I buy a house then I will feel like this is really home.
But what you don't plan for are the events that evolve back home, a funeral, wedding, christening... After a while one step forward can be knocked by two steps back. Then you realise that this is a hard country to get ahead in, it's not as easy as the trade fairs make out. Businesses are not that easy to set up and the supply chains if you are importing can be frustrating. House prices are comparable to the Uk (gone are the days of being able to buy a house with a pool for a the equivalent of a UK terrace, unless you move to the remote areas).

So, whilst you are struggling to establish your work, life and home, the feelings of isolation and frustration (basically homesickness) set in. Then you start blaming eachother. Your relationship really can suffer. This has been my experience.

Consequently, I can't understate how much I now appreciate what I had in the UK.
But always the optomist, we tried to turn this experience into something positive. We decided this was not the place for us, but we could not return immediately because of the house. So my boyfriend decided to train to be a pilot here (a dream of his and a lot cheaper to train here than at home) and I made plans for the move back home. All the things I wish I had done before coming out here. <<snip>>

Finally before I write War and Peace II, this may make someone take stock: with the selling of our property and business and the flights and accommodation and all the other costs of emigrating it cost us about $40,000 to come out here.
So please think about it hard, because it is not just the emotions that get knocked. And if you want a change, just think of the great holiday you could go on with that money.
What most agree on is that to make it work here, it is not really down to how much you feel disillusioned with the UK, it is really about how much you love Australia.

In my view, the remainder is a pretty realistic view for a number of people, and can be sufficient for a small number to return home.

Old Aug 28th 2005, 5:57 am
I liek beer

Angry Re: Take stock, because most return home.

Originally Posted by Bizarre
You should of left the cats behind. they are not wanted in this eco system and can only cause harm.
Now you are talking crap.

We live in the Yarra Ranges - an area where the council are considering removing the night curfew on cats to help reduce the rodents in the area!

Maybe humans should be removed from Australia (except the Abbo's) as we have the biggest effect on the eco-system!
Old Aug 28th 2005, 6:05 am
ABCDiamond

We live in the Yarra Ranges - an area where the council are considering removing the night curfew on cats to help reduce the rodents in the area!
In our area, the council are "considering" registering Cats in the same way as they do with Dogs.

Old Aug 28th 2005, 6:11 am
Banned

Bizarre will become famous soon enough

Now you are talking crap.

Maybe humans should be removed from Australia (except the Abbo's) as we have the biggest effect on the eco-system!
The cats do not only kill rodents but all sorts of animals that would thrive without this introduced species of predator.

The local council where we live will give out cat traps to local families in order that you can trap cats that stray onto your land, you then ring the council who will put them in the pound where the owner can pick them up for a fee and a ticking off, if they are not collected they are killed.

BTW "Abbo" is not a nice thing to call the aboriginals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.