Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Take stock, because most return home.

Take stock, because most return home.

Old Aug 22nd 2005, 11:27 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11
Charmoll will become famous soon enough
Default Take stock, because most return home.

I moved out to Australia two years ago. We sold a business in the UK and came out here with all our belongings including two cats. On arrival I got a job almost immediately and then we bought a house. We really gave the country a go, despite our belongings going missing in shipping for six months (do not use Robinsons Removals) and our cats coming out of quarantine emaciated. Still we persisted.
I thought that each time that I did something like get a job, that that would help me settle. Still unsettled, I thought well when I buy a house then I will feel like this is really home. But what you don't plan for are the events that evolve back home, a funeral, wedding, christening... After a while one step forward can be knocked by two steps back. Then you realise that this is a hard country to get ahead in, it's not as easy as the trade fairs make out. Businesses are not that easy to set up and the supply chains if you are importing can be frustrating. House prices are comparable to the Uk (gone are the days of being able to buy a house with a pool for a the equivalent of a UK terrace, unless you move to the remote areas).
So, whilst you are struggling to establish your work, life and home, the feelings of isolation and frustration (basically homesickness) set in. Then you start blaming eachother. Your relationship really can suffer. This has been my experience.
Consequently, I can't understate how much I now appreciate what I had in the UK. But always the optomist, we tried to turn this experience into something positive. We decided this was not the place for us, but we could not return immediately because of the house. So my boyfriend decided to train to be a pilot here (a dream of his and a lot cheaper to train here than at home) and I made plans for the move back home. All the things I wish I had done before coming out here. What people fail to mention is that more people return than stay here. Out of eight couples I know from the UK six have returned within three years of coming out here. Only two will remain and only one of those permanently. Also a lot of couples split up.

Finally before I write War and Peace II, this may make someone take stock: with the selling of our property and business and the flights and accommodation and all the other costs of emigrating it cost us about $40,000 to come out here. So please think about it hard, because it is not just the emotions that get knocked. And if you want a change, just think of the great holiday you could go on with that money.
What most agree on is that to make it work here, it is not really down to how much you feel disillusioned with the UK, it is really about how much you love Australia.
Charmoll is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 11:41 pm
  #2  
ABCDiamond
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Take stock, because most return home.

Originally Posted by Charmoll
Take stock, because most return home.
In the 2002/2003 financial year, 12,508 British Born "Settlers" arrived from the UK and about 3,928 returned to the UK.

http://www.immi.gov.au/statistics/st.../oad/index.htm
 
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 11:49 pm
  #3  
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,432
Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Take stock, because most return home.

Just how many support staff are required per miner and farmer?
Megalania is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 11:59 pm
  #4  
aussie73
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Take stock, because most return home.

Originally Posted by Charmoll
I moved out to Australia two years ago. We sold a business in the UK and came out here with all our belongings including two cats. On arrival I got a job almost immediately and then we bought a house. We really gave the country a go, despite our belongings going missing in shipping for six months (do not use Robinsons Removals) and our cats coming out of quarantine emaciated. Still we persisted.
I thought that each time that I did something like get a job, that that would help me settle. Still unsettled, I thought well when I buy a house then I will feel like this is really home. But what you don't plan for are the events that evolve back home, a funeral, wedding, christening... After a while one step forward can be knocked by two steps back. Then you realise that this is a hard country to get ahead in, it's not as easy as the trade fairs make out. Businesses are not that easy to set up and the supply chains if you are importing can be frustrating. House prices are comparable to the Uk (gone are the days of being able to buy a house with a pool for a the equivalent of a UK terrace, unless you move to the remote areas).
So, whilst you are struggling to establish your work, life and home, the feelings of isolation and frustration (basically homesickness) set in. Then you start blaming eachother. Your relationship really can suffer. This has been my experience.
Consequently, I can't understate how much I now appreciate what I had in the UK. But always the optomist, we tried to turn this experience into something positive. We decided this was not the place for us, but we could not return immediately because of the house. So my boyfriend decided to train to be a pilot here (a dream of his and a lot cheaper to train here than at home) and I made plans for the move back home. All the things I wish I had done before coming out here. What people fail to mention is that more people return than stay here. Out of eight couples I know from the UK six have returned within three years of coming out here. Only two will remain and only one of those permanently. Also a lot of couples split up.

Finally before I write War and Peace II, this may make someone take stock: with the selling of our property and business and the flights and accommodation and all the other costs of emigrating it cost us about $40,000 to come out here. So please think about it hard, because it is not just the emotions that get knocked. And if you want a change, just think of the great holiday you could go on with that money.
What most agree on is that to make it work here, it is not really down to how much you feel disillusioned with the UK, it is really about how much you love Australia.
If you look at the statistics the majority of British migrants decide to stay in OZ. Theres plenty of posts on the forum from people who think immigrating here was the best decision they ever made and would never consider going back.
 
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:04 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Mornington, Victoria
Posts: 34
Sujy will become famous soon enoughSujy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Take stock, because most return home.

Were your other 2 posts as cheerful?
Sujy is offline  
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:19 am
  #6  
ABCDiamond
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Take stock, because most return home.

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
In the 2002/2003 financial year, 12,508 British Born "Settlers" arrived from the UK and about 3,928 returned to the UK.

http://www.immi.gov.au/statistics/st.../oad/index.htm
Of those 3,928 that returned............

685 returned to the UK with 2 years of arriving
688 had stayed 2-4 years
1,168 had stayed 5-9 years
1,387 had stayed 10+ years

If that was an average year, then:
5.5% will return within 2 years
5.5% will return between 2 to 4 years
9.3% will return between 5 to 9 years
11.1% will return after 10 years
and
68.6% will stay here.

Obviously these figures will vary depending on individual areas that people settle in, and some years may be a bit different to others.
 
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 2:07 am
  #7  
Y Ddraig Goch
 
Ceri's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Posts: 3,722
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Take stock, because most return home.

Originally Posted by Charmoll
I moved out to Australia two years ago. We sold a business in the UK and came out here with all our belongings including two cats. On arrival I got a job almost immediately and then we bought a house. We really gave the country a go, despite our belongings going missing in shipping for six months (do not use Robinsons Removals) and our cats coming out of quarantine emaciated. Still we persisted.
I thought that each time that I did something like get a job, that that would help me settle. Still unsettled, I thought well when I buy a house then I will feel like this is really home. But what you don't plan for are the events that evolve back home, a funeral, wedding, christening... After a while one step forward can be knocked by two steps back. Then you realise that this is a hard country to get ahead in, it's not as easy as the trade fairs make out. Businesses are not that easy to set up and the supply chains if you are importing can be frustrating. House prices are comparable to the Uk (gone are the days of being able to buy a house with a pool for a the equivalent of a UK terrace, unless you move to the remote areas).
So, whilst you are struggling to establish your work, life and home, the feelings of isolation and frustration (basically homesickness) set in. Then you start blaming eachother. Your relationship really can suffer. This has been my experience.
Consequently, I can't understate how much I now appreciate what I had in the UK. But always the optomist, we tried to turn this experience into something positive. We decided this was not the place for us, but we could not return immediately because of the house. So my boyfriend decided to train to be a pilot here (a dream of his and a lot cheaper to train here than at home) and I made plans for the move back home. All the things I wish I had done before coming out here. What people fail to mention is that more people return than stay here. Out of eight couples I know from the UK six have returned within three years of coming out here. Only two will remain and only one of those permanently. Also a lot of couples split up.

Finally before I write War and Peace II, this may make someone take stock: with the selling of our property and business and the flights and accommodation and all the other costs of emigrating it cost us about $40,000 to come out here. So please think about it hard, because it is not just the emotions that get knocked. And if you want a change, just think of the great holiday you could go on with that money.
What most agree on is that to make it work here, it is not really down to how much you feel disillusioned with the UK, it is really about how much you love Australia.
Originally Posted by Charmoll
What people fail to mention is that more people return than stay here. Out of eight couples I know from the UK six have returned within three years of coming out here. Only two will remain and only one of those permanently.

wouldn't swear any stats myself most are inaccurate. It depends a lot on what you fill out on the leaving and landing cards .

Incidentally, I personally know of not one "pom" who intends to die here in aus, all the "poms" I personally know, even the ones that have been here for 30 yrs( I never go by little so-called expat social groups, or forums, or so-called stats - I go by real everyday life, and not get my so-called facts from sitting on the net ), want to finally go back to the UK. The only ones that I personally know who don't have any intention of finally returning to their countries of birth tend to be my Eastern European and Asian friends


Over eight years here in Aus , and are in the returning bunch, but different to a lot of peoples situation -I never emigrated with the intention it was for forever, "I'm just purely living away from my home". I did it because I could , with the job,the expat salary and the nose, which doesn't fit in with most peoples situation who post on these Aus forums . I could pack up tomorrow, and return if I had no responsibilities - as easy as that , I have no love lost for this country. no money issues either - there are different reasons for us being here.

good luck whatever you decide "stay or go", and take some of the things said on these forums with a pinch of salt - go by your own life experiences, and not from some people who seem to sit on the net 7 days a week instead of living in the outside/real world

* edited my post to add one line ( did not delete anything)

Last edited by Ceri; Aug 23rd 2005 at 3:38 am.
Ceri is offline  
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 2:41 am
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Pine Rivers Shire, QLD
Posts: 302
ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Take stock, because most return home.

and not from some people who seem to sit on the net 7 days a week instead of living in the outside/real world [/QUOTE]


3,500 posts, at an average of 3.17 posts per day, think your doing your fair share of net surfing.

To the original poster I hope your return goes well, the one thing I would take from your post is that you cannot really say how you will feel about events which happen back home, until you are away from home.
ScuntoBris is offline  
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 2:53 am
  #9  
wombat42
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Take stock, because most return home.

Originally Posted by Sujy
Were your other 2 posts as cheerful?
Looks like another killjoy from the " returning to the uk forum" invading the Aussie forum.
 
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 2:58 am
  #10  
wombat42
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Take stock, because most return home.

Originally Posted by Ceri

Incidentally, I personally know of not one "pom" who intends to die here in aus, all the "poms" I personally know, even the ones that have been here for 30 yrs( I never go by little so-called expat social groups, or forums, or so-called stats - I go by real everyday life, and not get my so-called facts from sitting on the net ), want to finally go back to the UK. The only ones that I personally know who don't have any intention of finally returning to their countries of birth tend to be my Eastern European and Asian friends

)
Looks like Eastern Europeans and Asian people know how to appreciate a good thing when they got it.
 
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 2:58 am
  #11  
Y Ddraig Goch
 
Ceri's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Posts: 3,722
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Take stock, because most return home.

Originally Posted by S****oBris
and not from some people who seem to sit on the net 7 days a week instead of living in the outside/real world
touchy aren't you lol ( another prob with some people, and some people think there are weirdo's in Bunnings, try this forum lol ) I was not even referring to you


I post week days while bored at work , never at weekends, never in the evenings - I'm out enjoying that "great outdoors", enjoying life which some people seem to rave on about but funnily enough always seem to post 7 days a week on here, living in computer land. and have a huge count of posts ( mine are since 2002)

Last edited by Ceri; Aug 23rd 2005 at 3:03 am.
Ceri is offline  
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 2:59 am
  #12  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,375
jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Take stock, because most return home.

Originally Posted by Charmoll


I thought that each time that I did something like get a job, that that would help me settle. Still unsettled, I thought well when I buy a house then I will feel like this is really home. But what you don't plan for are the events that evolve back home, a funeral, wedding, christening... something positive. We decided this was not the place for us, but we could not return immediately because of the house.
.

Thats what happens isnt it, buy land, build a house, get a dog, put in a pool, sign up for private schools, buy a business, join a club .............. but many people still dont feel 'right' about it.

It is scary to see how many older poms are out here and cant go back now, cant afford it, or are faced with kids that have grown up and married etc so would be a very difficult emotional choice.

Looking back I'd say dont ignore those first serious doubts, not the honeymoon roller coaster ones, but the feelings that come after a year or so that are based on day to day life, but often people do and keep digging in deeper in an effort to make it 'work' and suddenly its too late

Yes a lot of people do split up/or go back, its probably too personal to put on here, maybe thats why you dont read it. Equally common is the amount of people with 15-20 year olds who find themselves with a split up family cause of it all.

You actually raised a very good point there how dare you tho, go back and do 500 lines about the joys of the weather please.

Last edited by jad n rich; Aug 23rd 2005 at 3:04 am.
jad n rich is offline  
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:06 am
  #13  
Nicest member ( I think)
 
meelie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Moggill, Brisbane
Posts: 1,030
meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Take stock, because most return home.

Originally Posted by Charmoll
I moved out to Australia two years ago. We sold a business in the UK and came out here with all our belongings including two cats. On arrival I got a job almost immediately and then we bought a house. We really gave the country a go, despite our belongings going missing in shipping for six months (do not use Robinsons Removals) and our cats coming out of quarantine emaciated. Still we persisted.
I thought that each time that I did something like get a job, that that would help me settle. Still unsettled, I thought well when I buy a house then I will feel like this is really home. But what you don't plan for are the events that evolve back home, a funeral, wedding, christening... After a while one step forward can be knocked by two steps back. Then you realise that this is a hard country to get ahead in, it's not as easy as the trade fairs make out. Businesses are not that easy to set up and the supply chains if you are importing can be frustrating. House prices are comparable to the Uk (gone are the days of being able to buy a house with a pool for a the equivalent of a UK terrace, unless you move to the remote areas).
So, whilst you are struggling to establish your work, life and home, the feelings of isolation and frustration (basically homesickness) set in. Then you start blaming eachother. Your relationship really can suffer. This has been my experience.
Consequently, I can't understate how much I now appreciate what I had in the UK. But always the optomist, we tried to turn this experience into something positive. We decided this was not the place for us, but we could not return immediately because of the house. So my boyfriend decided to train to be a pilot here (a dream of his and a lot cheaper to train here than at home) and I made plans for the move back home. All the things I wish I had done before coming out here. What people fail to mention is that more people return than stay here. Out of eight couples I know from the UK six have returned within three years of coming out here. Only two will remain and only one of those permanently. Also a lot of couples split up.

Finally before I write War and Peace II, this may make someone take stock: with the selling of our property and business and the flights and accommodation and all the other costs of emigrating it cost us about $40,000 to come out here. So please think about it hard, because it is not just the emotions that get knocked. And if you want a change, just think of the great holiday you could go on with that money.
What most agree on is that to make it work here, it is not really down to how much you feel disillusioned with the UK, it is really about how much you love Australia.
Everyone is different and so are their life experiences. I lived in South America in the 90's, sure I had the most awful time what with racism (I'm white British), being stolen from constantly and living in a hell hole. BUT... if we hadn't tried we would have lived our lives wondering 'what if?' I just think it was an experience, not one I'd like to repeat but I did it and came out of it with that experience. What I'm trying to say is that life is full of risks and in order to attain your dreams/goals you have to take risks. If it doesn't work out then you have to put it down to experience and try something else. And at least you can say you've tried.
meelie is offline  
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:14 am
  #14  
happy to be here!
 
nightnurse2's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Ellenbrook, WA
Posts: 2,732
nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Take stock, because most return home.

Originally Posted by meelie
What I'm trying to say is that life is full of risks and in order to attain your dreams/goals you have to take risks. If it doesn't work out then you have to put it down to experience and try something else. And at least you can say you've tried.

Totally agree with what you say.
If you think you might like give it a go, than do it. You wont know if you like until you try. We too could lose money if we went back but so what, at least we have given it a go. We will never have to wonder 'what if' and who knows, its early days for us (been here 4 months)

Tracey
nightnurse2 is offline  
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:28 am
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
woodyinoz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Home and proud to be British
Posts: 1,035
woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Take stock, because most return home.

I think that it is a good thing when someone posts and honest post! Not everybody finds things easy and it is nice to hear when others may not find things peachy. I myself have had a very huge roller coaster since being out here and I found myself having relationship issues that I would never have seen coming. After 2 years things seem to be settling.
I agree that maybe nobody should look at this experience as permanent but they shouldn't stop it from letting them continue with life. Enjoy yourself and if it's for you great but never let yourself become trapped here. Wouldn't it be great to live 6 months in each country...
woodyinoz is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.