Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Take stock, because most return home.

Take stock, because most return home.

Old Aug 29th 2005, 2:31 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Take stock, because most return home.

Sorry, I certainly don't agree.

The term "Paki" is definitely racist and offensive. I should hope that all members would refrain from using it on this forum.

Originally Posted by Badge
Commen sense tells you Paki from a law abiding citizen is not racist - even in the UK. Circumstance and reality tells you, that in the UK it is, afraid, like it or leave it.

What about a Brit returning from Australia and saying paki - that might be excusable. Habit. I don't think the term as used in Australia is offensive. It is only offensive, if you grew up with it when it was offensive.

I haven't heard it for 20 years. The last time I heard it was my own lips and I got a smack from the old dear. I actually wonder if it has been so long since I heard it that maybe anyone using it is too new to know it used to be offensive...(!)

badge
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:16 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by russmcp
No I say all cats should be destroyed, the smell of cat sh*t is effing awful! This b**tard cat keeps sh*tting in out garden, and we have tried all sorts to stop it. Humour aside, you only have to see how all the natural habitat in NZ has been wiped out by our feline friends, oh and possums.
Sadly it is humans who are the worst environment destroyers by far :scared: They have the brains & cash to do it big time.

A positive trend is that a great many people in Au (including quite a few newly arrived poms) are becoming responsible cat owners & have 'indoor cats' who only go out into a cat run. This benefits the cat, the wildlife & the owner, as the cats don't get run over, the wildlife is safe, and the owner gets the benefit of their pet's company .

Anya.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BLC
That is right nik04, you always do something because it feels right at the time. The outcome will be what it will be. How you grade that it down to you, but you should ALWAYS see it as an achievement and a lesson learned

Looking back only results in a stiff neck and Physio fees
Looking back only results in rear ending the people in front of you
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:45 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sue
Sorry, I certainly don't agree.

The term "Paki" is definitely racist and offensive. I should hope that all members would refrain from using it on this forum.
Paki may mean any number of things elsewhere but in Aus it has one meaning only: A citizen of Pakistan.

Are you a Paki?
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:58 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Megalania]Paki may mean any number of things elsewhere but in Aus it has one meaning only: A citizen of Pakistan.[QUOTE]

www.paki.com
Biggest Pakistani Online Community

Andrew
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

jacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=andrew63][QUOTE=Megalania]Paki may mean any number of things elsewhere but in Aus it has one meaning only: A citizen of Pakistan.

www.paki.com
Biggest Pakistani Online Community

Andrew
i don't agree. "paki" may be used by the pakistan community, but when used to describe them then it's derogatory in my opinion.

steve
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:38 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=jacknat][QUOTE=andrew63]
Originally Posted by Megalania
Paki may mean any number of things elsewhere but in Aus it has one meaning only: A citizen of Pakistan.

i don't agree. "paki" may be used by the pakistan community, but when used to describe them then it's derogatory in my opinion.

steve
You can disagree all you like and you'd still be wrong. In Aus Paki means a citizen of Pakistan. (<-- Note the full stop.)
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:42 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Take stock, because most return home.

steve
That's a peculiar position to take. I keep finding it over here in Britain, but I still don't understand it. There's a certain double-standardness about it; one could almost call it hypocrisy.

If the word is derogatory, it's derogatory regardless of who's using it. It doesn't become any less derogatory for being used by members of the ethnic community to which it is intended to refer.

If you ever get to Australia, you will find Italians and Greeks happily referring to each other as "wogs." You will also find their no-Italian and no-Greek friends referring to them in the same way.

I consider this a far more honest approach.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

jacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Megalania][QUOTE=jacknat]
Originally Posted by andrew63
You can disagree all you like and you'd still be wrong. In Aus Paki means a citizen of Pakistan. (<-- Note the full stop.)
just by emphasizing a full stop doesn't make your point right. everone is intitled to an opinion.

steve
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
That's a peculiar position to take. I keep finding it over here in Britain, but I still don't understand it. There's a certain double-standardness about it; one could almost call it hypocrisy.

If the word is derogatory, it's derogatory regardless of who's using it. It doesn't become any less derogatory for being used by members of the ethnic community to which it is intended to refer.

If you ever get to Australia, you will find Italians and Greeks happily referring to each other as "wogs." You will also find their no-Italian and no-Greek friends referring to them in the same way.

I consider this a far more honest approach.
i consider it more honest to call someone by their name, not categorize people

steve
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:50 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=jacknat][QUOTE=Megalania]
Originally Posted by jacknat

just by emphasizing a full stop doesn't make your point right. everone is intitled to an opinion.

steve
Then I'm "intitled" to my opinion that you are ignorant of Aus English.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Megalania][QUOTE=jacknat]
Originally Posted by Megalania

Then I'm "intitled" to my opinion that you are ignorant of Aus English.
course you are, i will never use the term tho. but thats just what i'm used to.

steve
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:55 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Take stock, because most return home.

Originally Posted by jacknat
i consider it more honest to call someone by their name, not categorize people

steve
"Categorise"?

Well then, let's ban gender-specific pronouns while we're at it.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

"Categorise"?

who's talking about banning anything, i'm voicing a personal opinion

steve
Old Aug 30th 2005, 12:01 am
Banned

"Categorise"?

Don't have 'em in Malay languages - makes for fun translations into English - wonder how the French handle sexless chairs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.