Take Home Pay

Old Jun 3rd 2010, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

oxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant future
Default Take Home Pay

Just seen this on another forum:-

Example
On a gross taxable salary of $90,000 you would pay tax of:
$17,100 plus 40% of $15,000 (the portion over $75,000) which equals $23,100
Plus 1.5% of the lot ($90,000), for Medicate levy = $1,350
Giving a total tax bill of $23,100 + $1,350 = $24,450 (effective tax rate=27.2%)
Leaving take-home pay of $65,550
Or in weekly terms, $1,730 per week gross leaves you with $1,260 in your pocket.

Would this be correct?

Looking at these figures it would be a struggle to live in Sydney on $90k...

Please tell me these figures are wrong, could be about to burst my bubble
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

ExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really nice
Default Re: Take Home Pay

I'm afraid this is pretty much right. The 09/10 rate for $90,000 is slightly different to the example. It would be

$18,000 plus 40% of $10,000 (the portion over $80,000) which equals $22,000. The medicare calculation is still correct.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 10:38 am
ABCDiamond

That's near enough right.

$90,000 Gross
$22,600 Tax and Medicare
$67,400 Net

Weekly Net $1,296.15 pw

Old Jun 3rd 2010, 10:40 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by oxford_lad
Looking at these figures it would be a struggle to live in Sydney on $90k...

Please tell me these figures are wrong, could be about to burst my bubble
It depends on what your accommodation costs are, as to if it is a struggle or not.

Old Jun 3rd 2010, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

oxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant future

was hoping to be renting in Manly area, so I guess around about $650/wk mark so could manage I suppose.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Pozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nice

I think that may have been a reply to my post on another forum.

The maths shocked me a bit too, so im frantically doing sums to see what I can afford.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

surprised me I must say, though my OH should be able to get work though.

Just abit worring if there's only one wage coming in for a while
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Which is less than you would pay in the UK i.e. 28.73% on the same figure at 1.75 exchange rate.

http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That's near enough right.

$90,000 Gross
$22,600 Tax and Medicare
$67,400 Net

Weekly Net $1,296.15 pw
What about Super ABC and any other hidden deductions?
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 11:20 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Alfresco
What about Super ABC and any other hidden deductions?
The Compulsory Super is not a deduction. That is paid by the employer, in the same way that the employer in the UK has to pay the 'Employer part' of the NI contribution.

Just ensure that you know what your actual gross salary is, and not just the salary package total figure, which may include all benefits you get.

There are no other deductions that I can think of. None that are compulsory, just Tax and Medicare.

Old Jun 3rd 2010, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oxford_lad
was hoping to be renting in Manly area, so I guess around about $650/wk mark so could manage I suppose.
Depends on what type of place you want to live in, but for someone without property (as I now am having sold my UK house), $90k does not seem a wonderful salary, if you want to rent near the CBD.

Having said that I have a preference for houses, this kind of unit is available for the kind of rent you're talking about, and looks OK, its still a big %age of your take home pay though http://www.domain.com.au/Property/Fo.../?adid=6607063
Old Jun 4th 2010, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The Compulsory Super is not a deduction. That is paid by the employer, in the same way that the employer in the UK has to pay the 'Employer part' of the NI contribution.

Just ensure that you know what your actual gross salary is, and not just the salary package total figure, which may include all benefits you get.

There are no other deductions that I can think of. None that are compulsory, just Tax and Medicare.
Just maybe the Medicare Levy Surcharge at the end of the financial year if you don't have private health insurance. Can't remember how much that is on top of the normal Medicare Levy
Old Jun 4th 2010, 1:11 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
Just maybe the Medicare Levy Surcharge at the end of the financial year if you don't have private health insurance. Can't remember how much that is on top of the normal Medicare Levy
1%.

So a single person on $90k with no private hospital cover would pay a total of $2250, not $1350.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
1%.

So a single person on $90k with no private hospital cover would pay a total of $2250, not $1350.
That's what i thought... And that's another $900 in the government's pockets!
Still can't decide whether it's better to spend it on private health insurance though...
Old Jun 4th 2010, 1:33 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
That's what i thought... And that's another $900 in the government's pockets!
Still can't decide whether it's better to spend it on private health insurance though...
Over the last couple of years my premiums have gone up from about $840 to $1070...that includes extras, and the only thing I ever claim is dental. As it stands, for me there's little difference between paying the surcharge or paying for the insurance...so insurance it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.