Reload this Page >

Take Driving test - here or NZ?

Take Driving test - here or NZ?

Old May 18th 2004, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Bryher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Take Driving test - here or NZ?

Hi everyone,

At the moment I am learning to drive - ready for my new life in nz. Thought it would be useful to learn just in case we end up out in the lovely nz countryside but miles from civilization!

The question that crossed my mind was, would it be better to take my test in the uk, or wait until we get out to nz in September? I understand you have to take some sort of test anyway a few months after arriving. And would the nz test be easier?!

Bryher.
Old May 18th 2004, 10:33 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Take Driving test - here or NZ?

Personally I'd recommend NOT doing your test in NZ, going by the driving standards in Christchurch anyway. It's pretty shockin.

There's also a funny rule about right of way when turning into oncoming traffic or turning right or something.

Anyway, getting as much driving experience in as you can before you get to NZ is highly recommended.

Only my opinion of course, you can take or leave it.

Cheers,

Big.
Old May 19th 2004, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I looked into the same thing - I'd get it here - you have to hold your learners permit for six months before you can go onto a restricted licence where you can drive on your own except between 9pm and 5am (not 100% on times) and you cant carry passengers - doing my UK theory test Today!
Old May 20th 2004, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Big Galah and Nel M for your replies.

Nel - thanks for the info about the restrictions, too many! so thats made my mind up, I shall try to pass it here! Not much time though, we go in September and I haven't done my theory yet!

Taranaki is one of the places we are going to check out as a possible place to settle - would be interested to know why you chose it? Have you family there?

Bryher

PS. Best of luck with YOUR theory test!!
Old May 21st 2004, 12:25 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Yes i agree if you can pass your test in the uk you will be better off what with the restrictions on newly passed drivers over here in nz. You will then just have to pass the theory test when you arrive here and you have up to a year to take it by
Old May 21st 2004, 1:27 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

In oz a newly qualified UK driver still has to go on P plates with the same restrictions. Eg a UK driver who has held the license for 6 months will only obtain their red Ps on arrival and have to wait 6 months till they can get the green Ps. Does the same apply in NZ?
Old May 21st 2004, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I passed the theory test!

We chose Taranaki for a number of reasons - We didnt want to go to a busy city, we wanted somewhere more rural. The house prices were a big deciding factor along with job prospects too, Nicks re-coding as a welder and theres a lot of demand on Taranaki, I run a private training company here and there is no-one as yet in Taranaki that can offer the courses I can.

If you travel along Surf Highway 45, with the sea on one side and the mountain on the other, you wont have to ask what clinched it.
Old May 21st 2004, 10:27 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Take Driving test - here or NZ?

Originally posted by Bryher
Hi everyone,

At the moment I am learning to drive - ready for my new life in nz. Thought it would be useful to learn just in case we end up out in the lovely nz countryside but miles from civilization!

Bryher.
nothing to add on the rest of your question - but good idea about being able to drive in NZ. Doesn't matter if you're in the countryside or not, by and large you won't get far if you can't drive.

Everybody drives in NZ, and though it's perfectly easy to live your entire life in Britain without ever needing to drive, it really is a necessity in most/all parts of NZ.

best of luck
Old May 21st 2004, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Hi and Thanks for your replies

congratulations nell ! - half way there now!

I will have to get cracking if I want to pass my test by September!
- maybe I'll have to think about doing one of those 5 day 'crash courses' - not literally I hope!! My 19yr old son wants to pass his test too - so there's abit of competition on to beat 'mum' to it!!
By the way I'm cheating abit - learning in an 'automatic' - at my age it had to be the ' quickest and easiest' way! Have enough trouble steering the thing, couldn't cope will gear changes at well!!

Re: Taranaki - sounds as if it would be worth a look when we get there. I too don't want to live in a city, however in our case there are 4 different people to please:

Me - I like countryside, walking, horseriding etc.

Hubby - needs a Job! (Carpenter) has to be nr. Sea (boats, fishing etc.

Son - needs a job (Agricultural engineer) but needs nightlife discos, bars,etc...not too far away!

Daughter needs good Highschool/college and insists she is not ' living in the back of beyond!' - but still wants to keep a pony in the back garden!

....and so we have to find the ideal place which will please everyone... think this is going to be a difficult one don't you?

If anyone has any suggestions on possible locations... I would be
grateful to hear them! Perhaps I ought to post a seperate thread
on this?
or do you think Taranki has everything we need??

Bryher