Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

take the car or not?

take the car or not?

Old Dec 15th 2006, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

coolwait is an unknown quantity at this point
Question take the car or not?

Just wondering what the difficulties are with taking the car.
What`s the cost to transport and import it?

Anyone have any info or experience and is it recommended

thanks
Coolwait
Old Dec 15th 2006, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: take the car or not?

What car is it?
Old Dec 16th 2006, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

I was told it would take all sorts of paperwork, cost of shipping, import duty, re registration here and then would be difficult to get parts for it (Ford Focus estate) as they are made differently here from the European ones. So sold it before we left. Still think financially it was the right thing to do but I do still miss my car Second hand cars here are very expensive, they do have the Focus here but nt an estate version, and in fact smallish cars as an estate version are a rarity. They seem to be hatchbacks, or a great big Futura or Commordore if you want an estate car.

I miss my Focus
Old Dec 16th 2006, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Australia Immigration will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by coolwait
Just wondering what the difficulties are with taking the car.
What`s the cost to transport and import it?

Anyone have any info or experience and is it recommended

thanks
Coolwait
Hi Coolwait

Unless it is a Classic my advice is forget it. A car as you know by now is a poor investment - normally. If you try to import your car the 'hoops' and import costs will be horrendous. It is designed (like most countries) to preclude any imports unless you are a manufacturer of vehicles - from memory there is up to 50% levies and costs (purchase price) for a personal car import.

Chris

Last edited by Sue; Dec 16th 2006 at 2:18 am. Reason: url removed already in signature