Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TAFE Colleges/apprenticeships What age can you go?

TAFE Colleges/apprenticeships What age can you go?

Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:24 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute
Default TAFE Colleges/apprenticeships What age can you go?

Hi,
My youngest son is getting the collywobbles about going to school in Australia. (DOB 08/92)
He's not in the least bit academic, so he does an NVQ in construction over here as part of his school options.
We're hoping to come out early summer 2008 so he'll be approaching his 16th birthday and will have finished his GCSE's
He really really doesn't want to go back to school. (I have enough trouble ensuring he attends every day at the moment!) But he likes College and wouldn't mind doing that, although he'd like to do some work and earn a bit of money too. (possibly his main driver!)
So my question is, can he get an apprenticeship when he arrives, or does he have to do TAFE full time, or does he have to go to school, if so for how long... (He wants to stay here until he's safely out of compulsory education!)
We're thinking of Going to South Australia or Victoria

Ali x
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all
Default Re: TAFE Colleges/apprenticeships What age can you go?

http://www.goldcoast.tafe.qld.gov.au/index.html
I think it's about 16/17 because they do trade apprenticships etc

Darn it! Just read your post properly and you're going to SA or Vic? Your profile said QLD so thought it might help!
Good luck anyway then
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

SuzeM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alipally
Hi,
My youngest son is getting the collywobbles about going to school in Australia. (DOB 08/92)
He's not in the least bit academic, so he does an NVQ in construction over here as part of his school options.
We're hoping to come out early summer 2008 so he'll be approaching his 16th birthday and will have finished his GCSE's
He really really doesn't want to go back to school. (I have enough trouble ensuring he attends every day at the moment!) But he likes College and wouldn't mind doing that, although he'd like to do some work and earn a bit of money too. (possibly his main driver!)
So my question is, can he get an apprenticeship when he arrives, or does he have to do TAFE full time, or does he have to go to school, if so for how long... (He wants to stay here until he's safely out of compulsory education!)

Ali x
Hi
He might want to check out the new School-Based Apprenticeships where kids can start an apprenticeship in year 11 and 12 but still get the High School Certificate, my son has opted for this to start a plumbing apprenticeship next year. http://www.australiantechnicalcolleg...Apps_Train.htm
Sue
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:17 am
faf
Forum Regular

faf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nicefaf is just really nice

Hello

Apprenticeship's are available over here so hopefully your son will be able to find an employer to take him and continue with his training. Like the UK they have a choice on whether to attend college either weekly or block release. What you need to do is contact any of the apprenticeship centre's in your area when you arrive and they will guide you through the options.

I don't think NVQ's are recognised out here, however an upto date signed copy of his portfolio/log book detailing his competences will help, as maybe he could be RPL for some units.

The official school leaving age is 16 in Victoria, so I'm not to sure if he would have to go back to school, it would depend on his age when he arrives I guess.

Hope this helps

Sara
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:38 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sara and Sue,
that's a great help, I think I should be able to find out from the link where he can get onto one of these courses.
He'll be obliged to go to school I guess until Christmas in Victoria. (August birthday) But an apprenticeship will really suit him and it's a better option that you get here in the UK anyhow. as for RPL I'm not sure he'll care much about having to do it again!

Ali x
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Mr P is a mature apprentice, but goes to TAFE with kids of 16 upwards.

He works 3 weeks for an employer, and the employer has some sort of agreement with the Apprentice Org, then he goes to college for one week.
This continues for 4 years.

He gets crummy apprentice wages, but they do creep up a little each year...not a living wage, but that should come when qualified.

And to get an apprenticeship, you need PR and to pass an aptitude test. At the mo there are incentives to encourage people to take a trade, but employers like people who have taken a pre- apprentice course. 13 weeks of basic training at your own cost!
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:01 am
Ping pong PoM

Strangely, we call our son little P!

Crummy wages are fine if you're 16 and doing living with parents! There tough if you've a house to run! That's the same here though, as I'm sure you know.
We have applied for PR so that won't be a problem. But it's good to know that I can persuade him to travel with us... instead of staying here for 6 or so months until he reaches school leavers age, he's adamant that he's NOT doing any more school that he really has to, even if that means putting up with the UK for longer (he is desperate to get out to Australia!)

Ali x
Old Sep 14th 2007, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Strangely, we call our son little P!

Crummy wages are fine if you're 16 and doing living with parents! There tough if you've a house to run! That's the same here though, as I'm sure you know.
We have applied for PR so that won't be a problem. But it's good to know that I can persuade him to travel with us... instead of staying here for 6 or so months until he reaches school leavers age, he's adamant that he's NOT doing any more school that he really has to, even if that means putting up with the UK for longer (he is desperate to get out to Australia!)

Ali x
My daughter left school in Perth at the age of 15. She went to college. I believe now they have changed the system and that they have to complete year 10 before they can leave school.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
mAli x
Our youngest son is 19; he is currently doing a TAFE Diploma which will see him qualified in the Oil & Gas Industry once he finishes. He is one of the youngest on the course as most of his class-mates seem to be mature age students anxious to score a job off-shore on the rigs.

All three sons went to Woodvale Senior High School and the good thing about that was they had the option of doing mining. The other two sons did the mining course and both spent time up the mines on-site as part of their training each term.

Middle son is in his last year at Uni up at Kalgoorlie and has spent the last few weeks being flown here and there at various mining company's expense for interviews. He has been offered a post-graduate position with BHP Billiton and starts with them in January.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 2:34 pm
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough

I would suggest that wherever you go visit the lcoal TAFE and talk, then more importantly speak with local employers and try to get work experience to see what he likes.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Some sites for you to look at:

School leaving age in SA:

http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/portal/stu...&id=leavingage

Apprentiships info for SA:
http://www.training.sa.gov.au/

http://www.australianapprenticeships.gov.au/student/
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:04 am
Ping pong PoM

Originally Posted by Wendy
thanks for the links Wendy, I couldn't find them when I did a Google search!

Ali x