Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

T.V, Video, P.C, Washer, Dryer ETC...

T.V, Video, P.C, Washer, Dryer ETC...

Old Mar 13th 2003, 9:29 pm
Sarah266

Question T.V, Video, P.C, Washer, Dryer ETC...

Hi, I have been reviewing all previous info, re what will and will not work out in Oz, and been getting myself confused, so thought i'd ask my own question!!!

I am taking out there my washer and dryer, will these work??? From what i gather they will.

Unsure of the video, it is a good one, but had it 7 years, was expensive at the time and still like new. Any ideas?

What about the telly's, heard either picture or sound, is it worth taking them and seeing or not bothering? Please don't tell me about converters or the such like as that's where i get lost!

What about the other electric stuff...breville sandwich maker, mower etc?

Can anyone tell me the voltage out there?

Thanks to anyone who plows through this and gives me an answer!!!

Cheers,
Sarah x

Old Mar 13th 2003, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: T.V, Video, P.C, Washer, Dryer ETC...

Hi Sarah,

Far as I know all the stuff will work, but you need to be armed with a screwdriver and change all the plugs (or take an 6 gang extension and buy an adapter).

TV & Video I have no idea, I think I get very confused. TV's seem to work if you play them through a video, something to do with sound but if you buy make sure it is PAL I and PAL B compatible. DVD's need to be able to play region 3 as well as region 1.

Mowers - someone said grass is tougher so lightweight mowers are useless, also need to be spotless to pass customs (not worth the effort as far as I'm concerned and same with vacuum cleaner)

Mash...

Ps If I sound like I know what I'm talking about, it's the effect of a bottle of 'French' white wine!!

Originally posted by Sarah266
Hi, I have been reviewing all previous info, re what will and will not work out in Oz, and been getting myself confused, so thought i'd ask my own question!!!

I am taking out there my washer and dryer, will these work??? From what i gather they will.

Unsure of the video, it is a good one, but had it 7 years, was expensive at the time and still like new. Any ideas?

What about the telly's, heard either picture or sound, is it worth taking them and seeing or not bothering? Please don't tell me about converters or the such like as that's where i get lost!

Cheers,
Sarah x
Old Mar 14th 2003, 8:28 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Yes you can take it all apart from the lawn mower as the grass is tougher, gardens bigger and customs will have you on your hands and knees for a week cleaning it with a toothbrush and a bottle of Dettol.

TV's and videos cot about $40-$50 each to get converted, a lot cheaper than the price of a new one, but shop around as some people will try to charge you silly money as they see us as suckers who need their TV's and think we will pay anything.

We are leaving our washing machine and dishwasher with the house when we sell it. We are buying brand new ones and having them shipped over still boxed. That way, if you buy them up to 3 months before you go, you don't have to pay the VAT on them. Just ask for them to be delivered to your shipping agent, all the larger stores know about this. If this is not OK with them then just pay the VAT, get it delivered to your home to be packed, and ask for a VAT repayment form and you can claim the VAT back. Your shipping agent can help you with this aswell.

As DVD players are now so cheap over here, sell yours here and buy a 'multi-region' DVD player to take with you. As different regions of the world have different formats of DVD you will be able to play your DVD's and the new ones you buy in Aus. (This was just another con to stop us buying cheaper DVD's from abroad, ther're idea was to keep the price of our DVD's as high as the price of our CD's) Other wise you will have to take your DVD player to play you old DVD's and also buy a new DVD player to play your new DVD's when you buy them. Same VAT rules apply, you can claim it back.

You can claim back the VAT on virtually anything you buy within 3 months of emmigrating.

By the way, if you buy any electical goods from ASDA, you can return them within two years, saying they are slightly faulty, and get a brand new one. This is excellent for TV's, videos and DVD's as they get upgraded all the time, you've got a new one every two years for life! I found this out when the remote control for my son's TV stopped working, I phoned ASDA to ask for the suppliers phone number to get a new remote control, they asked if I still had the receipt and told me it was within the two years so I could have a brand new equivalent TV. I just had to pay the 10 pound difference in the price. This now extends to all electrical goods at ADSA!!

Wow, reading back on this, what a great excuse to go shopping!!!

Steve.
Old Mar 14th 2003, 9:10 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by SteveBannister

We are leaving our washing machine and dishwasher with the house when we sell it. We are buying brand new ones and having them shipped over still boxed. That way, if you buy them up to 3 months before you go, you don't have to pay the VAT on them. Just ask for them to be delivered to your shipping agent, all the larger stores know about this. If this is not OK with them then just pay the VAT, get it delivered to your home to be packed, and ask for a VAT repayment form and you can claim the VAT back. Your shipping agent can help you with this aswell.

Steve.
Steve,

I'm sure that I've read somewhere that you pay import duty on goods shipped into Australia unless you can show receipts that the items are more than a year old. Won't you be caught by this?

Nicola
Old Mar 14th 2003, 9:48 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by Nicstids
Steve,

I'm sure that I've read somewhere that you pay import duty on goods shipped into Australia unless you can show receipts that the items are more than a year old. Won't you be caught by this?

Nicola

I was advised you pay GST at australia plus customs and import duty - far more than the VAT you would save.

On another note please correct me if I am wrong but I thought we were told that UK TV's would work on satellite/cable in australia as this system supercedes the PAL problem Please tel me I am right?????????????:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Mar 14th 2003, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Snickers is an unknown quantity at this point

Bring everything it will all work , just add an Oz video to the telly, the uk video can be used on your telly u bring over, bring the washer etc, my misses wanted to leave the garage freezer but I put it in the container, and glad we did as its better than some in some local houses

Paul

Cheers,
Sarah x
Old Mar 14th 2003, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Inked is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers,
Sarah x

Voltage is 240 volts,

Others have covered everything else I think. Worth noting the bit about garden equipment, also goes for walking boots and anything else that might have been in contact with soil.

We also brought over a number of trailing sockets to get by with until we convert all our plugs over to Aussie ones.

Joe
Old Mar 14th 2003, 1:19 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Steve,

Nicola
Our shipping agent says that when they pack your goods, whose to know if it's new or not? As your shipping list is itemised, they will only look for bikes, hoovers, lawnmowers etc, things that have to pass quarentine. Are you going to tell them it's a new washing machine? Come on, be a bit clever! EVERYTHING IS PACKED IN BOXES Check with your shipping agent.
Old Mar 14th 2003, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Inked is an unknown quantity at this point

Our shipping agent says that when they pack your goods, whose to know if it's new or not? As your shipping list is itemised, they will only look for bikes, hoovers, lawnmowers etc, things that have to pass quarentine. Are you going to tell them it's a new washing machine? Come on, be a bit clever! EVERYTHING IS PACKED IN BOXES Check with your shipping agent.

They do open them, and if the load is such they can also visit your home to check as you unpack. Worst that can happen is that you will have to pay extra tax on the new stuff.
Old Mar 14th 2003, 2:59 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Steve

There's no need to patronise me. If you think it's a good way to start your life in Aus defrauding Aus customs then it's up to you. I'm a solicitor and it's certainly not worth risking my practising Certificate to save a few measly quid.

Nicola
Old Mar 14th 2003, 3:03 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Just imagine being caught for one small item and getting up the customs' persons' nose. They would strip out the lot, cause endless delays and charge you for everything they could and it would serve us right
Old Mar 14th 2003, 4:50 pm
I Know What's Going On!

Steve

There's no need to patronise me. If you think it's a good way to start your life in Aus defrauding Aus customs then it's up to you. I'm a solicitor and it's certainly not worth risking my practising Certificate to save a few measly quid.

Nicola
Don't get me wrong, I'm not patronising anyone. I'm only repeating the information that three different shipping agents have given us. We have never, ever been told that customs check every box. If anybody knows otherwise then, of course, I will bow to their better judgement. This is how you find out things, by talking about them. I know that sarcasm and humour don't come over too well when your typing, so excuse me, it wasn't intentional.

Steve.