Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

T.V How many hours a week.......

T.V How many hours a week.......

Old Mar 12th 2005, 11:08 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute
Cool T.V How many hours a week.......

This question is really aimed @ the members who are already out there livin' the dream.

How many hours a week do you watch tv ?????

I know that here in the UK most people get home from work and the 1st thing they do is put the goggle box on.

Me personally,i would rather listen to music or read, but it really is scary :scared: how tv dominates peoples lives. I suppose it's because the weather is crap in the UK.

Old Mar 12th 2005, 11:12 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: T.V How many hours a week.......

I guess I may get to one hour a week.

I just don't watch TV anymore apart from one or two short news items.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 11:20 am

DIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
This question is really aimed @ the members who are already out there livin' the dream.

I know that here in the UK most people get home from work and the 1st thing they do is put the goggle box on.

Me personally,i would rather listen to music or read, but it really is scary :scared: how tv dominates peoples lives. I suppose it's because the weather is crap in the UK.

I live in the UK ....and the first thing i do when i get in in switch on BE

I watch very little TV...i dont follow any soaps, i like the series programmes like fat friends, shamless but they only start untill 10 pm and are on for an hour...so i guess you could say i watch maybe 1 hour a night if that.

when i get to Oz.......i have recently found out that they are showing shameless and other watchable series so i guess i will watch about the same ammount there.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 11:28 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

I maybe watch about an hour a night roughly???
Its absolute kak !! we watch the Sopranos even though its repeats! trying to catch up with Home & away,& Neighbours still not sure whether its behind or infront
Desperate Housewifes i make a point of watching!

I really miss Casualty,Holby City,hubby misses the footie,kids miss all the kids programes from back home too,but its not been an issue -so far!!

Donna.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

About 1-2hrs a day on average. My 14 year old said tonight 'just realised I am watching less tv than in the uk' I asked if that was a problem. He said 'no, I'm just doing things instead of watching things'. Kind of sums it up. We watch Lost and ER, but apart from that we spend time out of the house or doing homework/reading/chatting. This move has had a very very postive effect on our family. We are much closer. In the uk, everyone went off to their seperate rooms to do their own thing. I'm sure this could have been achieved in the uk, it just wasn't.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4500 Times

We actually *watch* about 1 hour a day. From 6pm onwards the tv is on, while we are doing things, but cos the kitchen, computer room, dining room and sitting room are all sort of one area, if something interesting is on the news or whatever, we can pop over and watch it. Our tv watching has dropped dramatically since leaving the uk, partly because of the lifestyle here, and partly because of the damn uncomfortable sofa Mrs JTL bought , its wooden, with no butt or back support, I mean a garden bench would be more comfortable. So I don't sit in front of the telly much.

(If you don't hear from me in the next few days, assume I've been beaten to death with a large wooden plank from a 'sofa' )

Cheers,
JTL
Old Mar 12th 2005, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
We actually *watch* about 1 hour a day. From 6pm onwards the tv is on, while we are doing things, but cos the kitchen, computer room, dining room and sitting room are all sort of one area, if something interesting is on the news or whatever, we can pop over and watch it. Our tv watching has dropped dramatically since leaving the uk, partly because of the lifestyle here, and partly because of the damn uncomfortable sofa Mrs JTL bought , its wooden, with no butt or back support, I mean a garden bench would be more comfortable. So I don't sit in front of the telly much.

(If you don't hear from me in the next few days, assume I've been beaten to death with a large wooden plank from a 'sofa' )

Cheers,
JTL
Oy!!! Get back here, stop hiding... Should've brought home the tenpin bowling ball and aim it at you! That is - you'll be sleeping on the lovely rosewood sofa for the next 2 weeks. Good night. *locks bedroom door*

Best regards,
Your Wife
Old Mar 12th 2005, 12:26 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Was just talking about tv with the perth girls last night.

Some of us seem to be watching more, now everything's settled down, and you can actually start watching a series from the start of the season.

We probably watch about 2 hours a day average, because I'm addicted to some soaps.. and I watch Desperate Housewifes on monday if I don't forget, and McLeods Daughters on wednesday. And My Restaurant Rules sometimes.
And now watching a movie(ads...grrrr)

Don't watch as much in the weekends, because out and about, but during the week it gets dark at around 6/7 pm, so...

Don't expect to change that much, the lifestyle in my opinion isn't that different(yeah, it's better weather often, so maybe out more in weekends, but does everyone do lots of stuff after working all day? I don't think so, especially when it gets dark!!), and maybe in the beginning you'll change, and maybe you'll stay active, but after a while you get hooked on programs, or this forum again...
Old Mar 12th 2005, 12:34 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Oy!!! Get back here, stop hiding... Should've brought home the tenpin bowling ball and aim it at you! That is - you'll be sleeping on the lovely rosewood sofa for the next 2 weeks. Good night. *locks bedroom door*

Best regards,
Your Wife
lol lol lol lol
Old Mar 13th 2005, 7:01 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=4500 Times]This question is really aimed @ the members who are already out there livin' the dream.

In the UK I used to watch a couple of hours a night, but haven't seen a single programme in over 6 months. We bought our old UK TV and the kids use it to watch videos, they haven't once asked for TV. My two eldest are in an ad that's showing at the moment, and I though they might be disappointed not to see it, but they watched it on the web instead.
Al has a portable in the Gym, putting it out there was supposed to entice me to exercise, but in fact I decided I would rather do without TV!
We watched a lot of TV when we were stuck in a motel room with three kids before buying our Oz house, but it was mostly CSI etc, and although I quite like it I couldn't say I actually miss those kind of programmes. It's not really because we are in Oz that I don't watch, just the way things worked out. I now have more time to read, but I often surf the internet instead which is just being a 'desk potato' instead I suppose.

Regards Kirsty
Old Mar 13th 2005, 7:15 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Its often on, but the only things I actually make a point of watching are;
Desperate Housewives
ER
Neighbours if I'm home in time (about twice a week)
The occassional movie over the weekend.

Partner watches a lot of sport..... about 6 hours today has been on I think
Old Mar 13th 2005, 9:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

TV goes on forst thing in the morning, or as soon as he gets home, often before taking his shoes off! LAst thing off whenever we go out. Not sure he actually watches it more than 50% of the time, just stares at it.

Me? I get possession for an hour once a week to watch Casualty on UKTV!
Old Mar 13th 2005, 9:55 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Pollyana
TV goes on forst thing in the morning, or as soon as he gets home, often before taking his shoes off! LAst thing off whenever we go out. Not sure he actually watches it more than 50% of the time, just stares at it.

Me? I get possession for an hour once a week to watch Casualty on UKTV!

Hubby = Sport = 99 %
Me = Whenever sport not on or hubby at work or if ill on sofa = 1%

Old Mar 13th 2005, 9:57 am
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

god TV over here is soooo crap...

two good things... couple of episodes of Simpsons I havent seen before, and Thursday nights on Seven. (lost.. MRR..)

I reckon as TV is so bad, we are forced out of our houses.. a bit like Daytime TV is set up to force people back into work, in the Uk,