Reload this Page >

Sydneysiders now!!

Sydneysiders now!!

Old Jan 12th 2004, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Scott&Berni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydneysiders now!!

Hurray.. Finally here.
Arrived into Sydney on the 27th December. Big sad goodbyes on Xmas Day. 17 people for dinner and lots of tears. After a few phone calls and texts they realise were not gone for ever now!Went to see the fireworks.... Sure your all bored with them so I'll leave that there.

Registered for Medicare, Tax file etc.

Found renting an apartment was alot harder that last time I was here as I shared last time. All the good apartments are still tenanted so we were not prepared that when we set aside a week for house hunting we would end up seeing all the properties on an open morning the following Saturday.

We found a nice 2 bed terace in Balmain, nice cafe culture and near to the city for us to find work and find our feet. Rent is $350 per week for a 2 bed terrace. Old style with the wrought iron balconies (views to the city and Bridge)and a back courtyard to have BBQ's in.

Has a few mozzie bites and I took antihystamine from home and bought some Hydrocortizone cream from the chemist(recommend this to anyone) really took the itch out as mine swell up to huge ones!!

Otherwise the weather has been beautiful, bit over cast today but the tans coming on nicely.

Best bit is Scott has got a job in a good company. Not bad for 2 weeks. Just need to meet up with a few more of our Sydney expats to get some tips and have a few . So all PM's welcome.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Default Psssss

Check you date of birth and passport number are right on your visa when they are issued. It took us 2.5hours to check in at Heathrow as Scott Date of birth had the wrong year on....:scared:
Old Jan 12th 2004, 2:32 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

You have done well on the rent. How has the heat been in Balmain?
Old Jan 12th 2004, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by bondipom
You have done well on the rent. How has the heat been in Balmain?

Not bad you get good breezes on the balcony. Been to the beach every other day. not been to you local this time but been to Bronte, Coogee, Clovelly and Maroubra. Have to say Coogee is the favourite so far and the Bay hotel is excellent.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Default Job Hunting

Well the job hunting is slow. All the agencies need you to email your CV and no one meets with yiou unless they have a job in mind. If find that strange as in the UK you can drop in and chat. i guess it's because of the volumes they receive. Seems hard work at the moment though.

Shouldn't complain the weather is beautiful and the beaches are great. Sorry to hear that the weather is crap in the Uk but think what you will all be coming to.
Cheers
Old Jan 28th 2004, 11:01 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job Hunting

Originally posted by Scott&Berni
Well the job hunting is slow. All the agencies need you to email your CV and no one meets with yiou unless they have a job in mind. If find that strange as in the UK you can drop in and chat. i guess it's because of the volumes they receive. Seems hard work at the moment though.

Shouldn't complain the weather is beautiful and the beaches are great. Sorry to hear that the weather is crap in the Uk but think what you will all be coming to.
Cheers
What sort of work are you after? The only way with the agencies is to badger them. That way they know you a bit more.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sydneysiders now!!

We arrived last Friday. Currently living up in Newport (Northern Beaches) in a short term furnished rental. Our son started school (year 11) on Wednesday. Bought a car yesterday and got it registered today. Sorted out tax file nos and bank accounts today. Other than that its been a whirl of real estate agents, property viewings (yes, in the week!!)

Oh, and got to go to an Australian Day cruise on Pittwater, meeting briefly the local mayor and Federal Parliament member!

And I start working on Monday

Who said Australia was a laid back place!!

Best wishes

Kev

P.S. If any ex-pat Sidneysiders fancy meeting up for a pint(schooner) at some stage, I'd be up for it.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 5:05 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Scott & Berni, I thought you guys were coming to Brisbane??

Glad to see you are enjoying it anyway, ditto for Kev .
Old Jan 29th 2004, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Hurray.. Finally here.
Arrived into Sydney on the 27th December. Big sad goodbyes on Xmas Day. 17 people for dinner and lots of tears. After a few phone calls and texts they realise were not gone for ever now!Went to see the fireworks.... Sure your all bored with them so I'll leave that there.

Registered for Medicare, Tax file etc.

Found renting an apartment was alot harder that last time I was here as I shared last time. All the good apartments are still tenanted so we were not prepared that when we set aside a week for house hunting we would end up seeing all the properties on an open morning the following Saturday.

We found a nice 2 bed terace in Balmain, nice cafe culture and near to the city for us to find work and find our feet. Rent is $350 per week for a 2 bed terrace. Old style with the wrought iron balconies (views to the city and Bridge)and a back courtyard to have BBQ's in.

Has a few mozzie bites and I took antihystamine from home and bought some Hydrocortizone cream from the chemist(recommend this to anyone) really took the itch out as mine swell up to huge ones!!

Otherwise the weather has been beautiful, bit over cast today but the tans coming on nicely.

Best bit is Scott has got a job in a good company. Not bad for 2 weeks. Just need to meet up with a few more of our Sydney expats to get some tips and have a few . So all PM's welcome.
Glad to hear you are settling in well. Keep posting, for some reason there do not seem to be that many people moving to Sydney who stay in touch (could be wrong).

We will be over at end of March for 2 weeks for a look round and would be up for a few beers and some tips from those in the know.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 11:46 am
Just Joined

canary is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad things are going well so soon for you! We -my partner and our two children age 23months and 8 months are over in April to activate our visa before we move next year-so looking forward to it -though this will be our first time over with the children which will be... a challenge to say the least! Will need to get lots of advice on nurseries etc nearer the time
Keep on enjoying!
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:42 pm
Merlot

Well the job hunting is slow. All the agencies need you to email your CV and no one meets with yiou unless they have a job in mind. If find that strange as in the UK you can drop in and chat. Cheers

I have worked over the years in Oz in the Recruitment Industry as a Consultant and hated it over here - yep I was too British, wanting to make a person feel like a human not a number. I used to work in Recruitment in the UK and a different ball game. Here they want to make a quid out of you then onto the next but there are some lovely people in Recruitment still, dedicated to finding work. Pot luck I guess.

Who you know works extremely wellwell in Oz so try to network, get involved in sports clubs, whatever. Also, starting off as temp has been the way to go for me getting work, landed some pretty good jobs that way (I'm a PA).

Good luck
Merlot

Old Jan 30th 2004, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

Yeah Bondi Pom I'm definately finding that out!!!. The job that look perfect for you take so long to reply back.

Never mind, suns shining. No Worries. Are you off to the Chinese parade in the city at the weekend?
Berni

Originally posted by bondipom
What sort of work are you after? The only way with the agencies is to badger them. That way they know you a bit more.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

Kev

You guys did well. We had that roll in the first week getting everything organised although we have waited to buy a car. We don't have kids so public transports not so bad especially in the city. Then the beaches and job hunting mix took over.

My husbands been for a job in the northern beaches at Brookvale so we were up looking for houses in that area ready for when our lease expires where we are.

What kind of work did you manage to get so soon. Was it organised before you left?

We did the Australia day thing on the Harbour. it was very good and a lovely sunny day. Looking forward to the Chinese New Year celebration this weekend and next.

We'd be up for coming up for a scooner of new. I'll pm with our phone number.
Cheers
Berni & Scott

Originally posted by kevmitch
We arrived last Friday. Currently living up in Newport (Northern Beaches) in a short term furnished rental. Our son started school (year 11) on Wednesday. Bought a car yesterday and got it registered today. Sorted out tax file nos and bank accounts today. Other than that its been a whirl of real estate agents, property viewings (yes, in the week!!)

Oh, and got to go to an Australian Day cruise on Pittwater, meeting briefly the local mayor and Federal Parliament member!

And I start working on Monday

Who said Australia was a laid back place!!

Best wishes

Kev

P.S. If any ex-pat Sidneysiders fancy meeting up for a pint(schooner) at some stage, I'd be up for it.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Hi

No sorry we had a very last minute change of plan. After many jobs searches we decided that Sydney looked the safer option for the jobs we do. Although not sure that was right!!

We'll give you a shout if were up your way thoughfor a beer if thats ok?
Cheers

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Hey Scott & Berni, I thought you guys were coming to Brisbane??

Glad to see you are enjoying it anyway, ditto for Kev .
Old Jan 30th 2004, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

erm canary, about the line

"Will need to get lots of advice on nurseries etc nearer the time"

I think you might need that advice now.

You will need to get your kids on waiting lists now for anything that might become available in a years time. Its not unusual to find waiting lists 2-3 years long for day care places.

Expect to pay a bare minimum of $50 per day per child. Thats $500 per week - or $26,000 per annum. The care gets cheaper the nearer to 5 year olds they are, so expect to pay above the figures quoted.

If as a couple you earn over I think $65,000 you'll get nothing back in benefit.

Family Day Care which is cheaper you will need to register for in whatever council area you intend to live. Again there is a waiting list, however we found it easier to get a place here.

Happy Hunting