Reload this Page >

Sydney's Western Suburbs

Sydney's Western Suburbs

Old Jan 16th 2010, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

mrbond is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney's Western Suburbs

Morning all,

I've been offered (finer details pending) a transfer by my employer from the UK offices where I'm based to the offices in Sydney. The job would be located in the Regents Park area - does anyone know much about the surrounding areas, incl where it would be OK to live? (decent transport links, bars, restaurants etc?)

I've also got a PR visa going through which was lodged in June 09 by myself, priority 7 so am in for a long wait. Not sure of this would be affected either so have emailed by agent for this one.

Any info would be much appreciated, especially regarding the areas within train or drive to regents park.

Thanks.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney's Western Suburbs

Originally Posted by mrbond
Morning all,

I've been offered (finer details pending) a transfer by my employer from the UK offices where I'm based to the offices in Sydney. The job would be located in the Regents Park area - does anyone know much about the surrounding areas, incl where it would be OK to live? (decent transport links, bars, restaurants etc?)

I've also got a PR visa going through which was lodged in June 09 by myself, priority 7 so am in for a long wait. Not sure of this would be affected either so have emailed by agent for this one.

Any info would be much appreciated, especially regarding the areas within train or drive to regents park.

Thanks.
If you're working at Regents Park then I'd recommend living inner west. You won't want to live in Regents Park or any of the nearby suburbs (trust me) but it's well-placed transport-wise. Regents Park is on the inner-west line so you could live anywhere between there and the city without too much hassle.

I'd recommend Newtown (or nearby) if you want a suburb with a high number of bars and restaurants.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
If you're working at Regents Park then I'd recommend living inner west. You won't want to live in Regents Park or any of the nearby suburbs (trust me) but it's well-placed transport-wise. Regents Park is on the inner-west line so you could live anywhere between there and the city without too much hassle.

I'd recommend Newtown (or nearby) if you want a suburb with a high number of bars and restaurants.
Agree.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, is the inner west affordable for rent/house purchasing?

I'd be looking at $400 per week rent, or maximum $450k to purchase and would ideally like a house within 10 mins walk of a train station.

Just on the off chance, is it possible (without too long a journey) to live just outside Sydney in a smaller place and commute into the west?
Old Jan 17th 2010, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Forgot to mention, OH is a Social Worker. Any particular locations where they're in demand in Sydney?

Also, would you happen to know if Social Workers can be recruited through agencies or are they local government only? (job sites for social workers would be really handy) Anyone know the average salary for a Social worker in Sydney?