Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney where to stay - help!

Sydney where to stay - help!

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Sydney where to stay - help!

Hi everyone,
I have to go to Sydney for business purposes in a couple of weeks time. I have friends arriving from overseas, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to take them to Sydney also.

The dilemma I have is where to stay. As they will not have a car, I would like to stay somewhere that will enable me to get to Castle Hill on a a daily basis (by car) without too much of a headache, and somewhere for them that has easy access to public transport and the major sights of Sydney.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
regards
Deb
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 3:09 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney where to stay - help!

sorry just got here myself so not much help I'm afraid, may help if you say what sort of place you are looking for ie cheap hotel etc

will ask OH when he gets in from work
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by asher
sorry just got here myself so not much help I'm afraid, may help if you say what sort of place you are looking for ie cheap hotel etc

will ask OH when he gets in from work
Thanks, something thats quite nice but cheap
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 1:32 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of ideas to suit both might be Hornsby, car for you to Castle Hill and train for them down to Sydney centre straight in. Or down to Chatswood and buses across to Northern Beaches.

Have them look at weekly travel passes for the various cheaper all forms of transport ticket.

Olympic park, get place near the water for river cat down paramatta into Circular Key and surrounds and car for you.

Look up business apartments in either area for a possibly cheaper option than a hotel.

Not sure how long you are in Sydney for, might limit the choices of accommodation being cheaper in apartments.

Good luck, if you have some more questions please ask.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Try Domain holiday for apartments. They have 2 bed apartments in Hornsby, very centrally located.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 8:19 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Anywhere near or in the CBD with a car park should be OK. Driving to Castle Hill against the early peak hour traffic isn't too bad although you'll cop it in toll roads (harbour tunnel, lane cove tunnel and the M2).

Originally Posted by debsy
Hi everyone,
I have to go to Sydney for business purposes in a couple of weeks time. I have friends arriving from overseas, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to take them to Sydney also.

The dilemma I have is where to stay. As they will not have a car, I would like to stay somewhere that will enable me to get to Castle Hill on a a daily basis (by car) without too much of a headache, and somewhere for them that has easy access to public transport and the major sights of Sydney.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
regards
Deb
Old Dec 4th 2007, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sandra
A couple of ideas to suit both might be Hornsby, car for you to Castle Hill and train for them down to Sydney centre straight in. Or down to Chatswood and buses across to Northern Beaches.

Have them look at weekly travel passes for the various cheaper all forms of transport ticket.

Olympic park, get place near the water for river cat down paramatta into Circular Key and surrounds and car for you.

Look up business apartments in either area for a possibly cheaper option than a hotel.

Not sure how long you are in Sydney for, might limit the choices of accommodation being cheaper in apartments.

Good luck, if you have some more questions please ask.
Thanks Sandra.
We will be there for about 6 nights.
regards
Debs
Old Dec 4th 2007, 6:49 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Sometimes you can pick up apartments in Darling Harbour quite cheaply through wotif.com, we use the site quite a bit and usually manage to find something when we go away. Last time we had a fantastic apartment overlooking the water on Australia day, awesome!
Old Dec 4th 2007, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nerine
Sometimes you can pick up apartments in Darling Harbour quite cheaply through wotif.com, we use the site quite a bit and usually manage to find something when we go away. Last time we had a fantastic apartment overlooking the water on Australia day, awesome!
But wouldn't it take us ages to get to Castle Hill?
Old Dec 5th 2007, 12:25 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

But wouldn't it take us ages to get to Castle Hill?
It takes ages to get to Castle Hill from anywhere half decent and there isn't much decent public transport anywhere near Castle Hill. Out of the peak it is probably 45 mins to an hour drive to Castle Hill from the CBD. Probably the same time it would take to get down Pennant Hills road from Hornsby.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by IvanM
It takes ages to get to Castle Hill from anywhere half decent and there isn't much decent public transport anywhere near Castle Hill. Out of the peak it is probably 45 mins to an hour drive to Castle Hill from the CBD. Probably the same time it would take to get down Pennant Hills road from Hornsby.
Thanks
Old Dec 5th 2007, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Lots of people on here live around Castle Hill so they could probably advise best. There is a thread called something like "Castle Hill RSL Tuesday meet up" in the meet up section, if you put something on that you might get some helpful suggestions as they are a very friendly lot
Old Dec 5th 2007, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you stay in Parramatta. There are good motels/ hotels there. You would have an easy drive to Castle Hill and your friends would have the choice of train or rivercat to get into the city.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Why don't you stay in Parramatta. There are good motels/ hotels there. You would have an easy drive to Castle Hill and your friends would have the choice of train or rivercat to get into the city.
Thanks Gibbo, I think you are right.
Debs
Old Dec 5th 2007, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

kateandpaul is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Gibbo, I think you are right.
Debs
Hi Debs,

We stayed in Parramatta in May, we stayed at the Rydges Hotel.
Took the River Cat into Sydney.
We're emmigrating in Jan my OH is already there, staying in Castle Hill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.