Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney - where to live??

Sydney - where to live??

Old Oct 17th 2009, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney - where to live??

Originally Posted by isobelmaria
Is it ideal to have a pool?
I would say that if you live close enough to the sea then no it's not.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 2:34 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Is it ideal to have a pool? We have just been in Johannesburg for 3 years where everyone has one because you can swim for 9 months of the year. How long is the 'swim season' over there??
The season is probably about the same. I suspect that pools are a bit less popular here than in Joburg but I have no real idea. There are water restrictions in Sydney of various degrees so I would imagine that pools would be affected by that but www.sydneywater.com (.au ?) will have the details. Public pools are pretty common and generally pretty cheap/well-maintained. Often beaches will have a seawater-fed pool as well.

I don't have a pool and don't think I'd kill to get one - but maybe I am missing out.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Really depends on if you have a car where you can live. The trainline around Chatswood up to Gordon are great for train travelling , and as a mum you won't ever really need to use the transport (I never do except on the rare occasion), every place usually has it's own libraries, shops, preschools etc etc...bit like a series of villages. IF you DO have a car and hubby can drive...then maybe areas like Forestville, St Ives, Turramurra would be nicce, you get a bit more for your money and ST Ives do more pools. You def cannot swim year round in Sydney unless you are made of strong stuff but there are lots of public outdoor pools eg West Pymble North Sydney etc...

You 'could' go down Paddyo's way and go to Manly all the way up to Pittwater etc but the travelling is more (I think)....ask him about specifics...

Good luck.....

PP

edited to say that rentals are based PER WEEK not monthly like I first thought!!! I would say for 4 bedrooms around Chatswood to Turramurra St Ives and Forestville would be roughly 600-1000 dollars a week PLUS....You might also want to check if they are heated or have ac (reverse duct ac perhaps) because I could not live without some form of heating in the Winter, I find it cold....

Last edited by plantpot; Oct 17th 2009 at 2:55 am.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 5:09 am
FHI
Forum Regular

FHI is on a distinguished road

Is it ideal to have a pool? We have just been in Johannesburg for 3 years where everyone has one because you can swim for 9 months of the year. How long is the 'swim season' over there??
If you have kids and can afford it i would recommend having a pool. You are unlikely to be able to go to the beach every day and as you are no doubt aware from your South African experience a pool can be a great way to entertain the kids.

The length of the swim season depends upon how brave you are! Kids can easily go from about end Oct to beginning of April. My wife tends to go from Dec to Feb and that is with solar heating!
Old Oct 18th 2009, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Working in North Sydney, your OH's life will be much better if you stick to the train line! Once you head out towards the beaches you're relying on buses or driving which will really add to his journey time.

We finally decided that unless you are within walking distance to the beach, being half an hour away (with a pool) but walking (or local bus) distance to the train was a better option. We're in Turramurra so OH has easy access to the train to the city for work, and if the rest of us want to go to the city in the evening or at the weekend it's easily accessible. If we want to go to the beach it's 25-30 minutes to Mona Vale or Dee Why; Ku-ring Gai Chase national park is up the road. With three kids space was important to us - we rented a 4 bed in St. Ives for two years ($950 per week if you want an idea of rents), but found it a bit dull in the end and bought in Turramurra (not exactly buzzing but we have everything we need within walking distance including a lot of decent restaurants). The difference in rental between 3/4 bedrooms is quite a lot, and 4 beds are always in shorter supply. If you can make do with three it will make your choice wider. Good luck - it's a fab place to be!
Old Oct 18th 2009, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think anyone yet has mentioned The Hills District. It's further from the beaches, but closer to the mountains. With young kids I can't think of a better place as it's very much a family area. Leafy middle-class suburbs, good schools, low crime, large affordable homes. No train but buses run direct to North Sydney & City. A large proportion commutes to the city or N.Syd for work. Castle Hill has the restuarants, big shopping centre, cinemas etc and is probably the best suburb in the Hills, but the new area of Rouse Hill is worth a look at - planned as an open modern town with amazing bike paths, parks and plenty of facilities. Take a look at the price of some Castle Hill properties...think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
Working in North Sydney, your OH's life will be much better if you stick to the train line! Once you head out towards the beaches you're relying on buses or driving which will really add to his journey time.

We finally decided that unless you are within walking distance to the beach, being half an hour away (with a pool) but walking (or local bus) distance to the train was a better option. We're in Turramurra so OH has easy access to the train to the city for work, and if the rest of us want to go to the city in the evening or at the weekend it's easily accessible. If we want to go to the beach it's 25-30 minutes to Mona Vale or Dee Why; Ku-ring Gai Chase national park is up the road. With three kids space was important to us - we rented a 4 bed in St. Ives for two years ($950 per week if you want an idea of rents), but found it a bit dull in the end and bought in Turramurra (not exactly buzzing but we have everything we need within walking distance including a lot of decent restaurants). The difference in rental between 3/4 bedrooms is quite a lot, and 4 beds are always in shorter supply. If you can make do with three it will make your choice wider. Good luck - it's a fab place to be!
Yep Turramurra is lovely!
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

How is Turramura for schools? I have 1 in high school and 2 in primary and a 3 yr old.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 12:47 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pink-passion-flower
Hi
we are hope fully going soon to the best places to look i have heard is the sutherland shires but if you go to google maps you can look. the shires as its called have shops within walking distance and lots of beaches and little coves really nice but can be expensive.
Shires is south and the commute is not a good one...

Whats your budget?????
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 9:50 pm
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

I second that about the commute from the Shire being a pain. We live in the Shire and when we first got here, hubby was working in the CBD (it was a short-term placement, he is in Hurstville which is much better now) and he used to have to leave the house at about 6.50 in order to drive to the station, find a place to park, walk to the station and then get the train and walk to work at the other end. He would leave work at about 5.40 and get home at around 7-7.30, depending on which train he managed to get. It made for very long days for me (being a stay at home mum with two small children aged 3 and 1).

I would also second what someone said about the pool. If I find the day is dragging on a bit, or it is really humid I find it great to be able to take the kidlets down to the pool for a cool off (also tires them out and makes them sleep better !). The beach is lovely, but to be honest, sometimes it is nice to go and have a cool down without a major expedition (buckets, spades, snacks, water, towels, dry clothes, sun suits, UV tent thing, kitchen sink etc, etc...).
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

St Ives is also good- 10 mins to the trains, buses to the city, close to the bush, 20 mins from the beach. We rented in Killara at first, a 3/4 bed house for $720pw but it was a cold mouldy place as we found out, opposite the railway line. We moved to St Ives which has a good range of shops and schools, and have bought our 4 bed with pool here. Reckon your OH could commute to North Sydney in less than 45 mins from here.
One thing- NO PUBS!!! Lots of coffee shops tho.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by swigski
Suburbs on the train line like Chatswood, Roseville, Lindfield, Gordon and Pymble are good for the commute to North Syd.

Otherwise for proximity to beach you are looking at places like Mosman, Neutral Bay, Cremorne. Bus service to NS.

For best of both worlds, Cammeray, Northbridge and Willoughby are 10 mins from city, 10 mins from North Sydney and 10-15 mins from beaches. All serviced by Bus to NS and CBD

Not much around on the rental market especially 4 bedrooms. 3 may be more easier to find. Good Luck!!
I'm in Cammeray, 15 min walk to north sydney, 5 min drive to city, get on the bus and next stop is the city if you go on the freeway. 10 min drive to the beach 25 min drive to Manly, Bondi etc..
Northern beaches are nice but not for working in the city or north sydney as its a long old bus journey. Not any better with a car as theres nowhere to park in and around the city unless your office has a car park or you dont mind paying $50 a day for parking.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice

Hi everyone - this is my first post as we are moving to OZ within the next 2 months. My hubby will be working in North Sydney just over the bridge and we need to look for a 4 bed house to rent. We have a 3 yr old and 6month old twins! Ideally we want to be no more than 10 mins drive from the beach but with a reasonable garden space. also our son will be going to pre-school and primary next year so there have to be good options. Ideally I would like to be able to walk from the house to local amenities inc. school, kiddies park, cafe/shop etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated as hubby is there now and needs to look around this weekend.........
I'd look for an area where you could also afford to buy a property in the future.

We have an amazing apartment in Mosman with beautiful views.............and bugger all chance of ever being able to buy somewhere like that!

Would've stung a bit if we were staying and wanted to buy!!
Old Jan 6th 2010, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by s1mon321
We have an amazing apartment in Mosman with beautiful views.............and bugger all chance of ever being able to buy somewhere like that!
Funny you should say that. We too lived in an amazing unit in Kirribilli (well, amazing views, acceptable unit to be more precise) 20 years ago when we spent 18 months in Sydney, with no chance whatsoever of buying anything remotely similar. 20 years later and we have bought a unit in the same block. It might take time and a lot of hard work, but maybe you could do the same (and don't discount that, we too went back to the UK after 18 months and are now planning our return 20 years later).
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice

Originally Posted by louie
Funny you should say that. We too lived in an amazing unit in Kirribilli (well, amazing views, acceptable unit to be more precise) 20 years ago when we spent 18 months in Sydney, with no chance whatsoever of buying anything remotely similar. 20 years later and we have bought a unit in the same block. It might take time and a lot of hard work, but maybe you could do the same (and don't discount that, we too went back to the UK after 18 months and are now planning our return 20 years later).
Very good point Louie and definitely something to focus on :-)

I don't believe for a minute that when we leave Sydney in April that it will be forever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.